Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1.8T Turbo Upgrade Discussion Thread

Originally posted by hooddub View Post
    Officially confused lol. Are we talking about PRY4SNO's old B6's motor blowing up because someone dropped a bolt into it???
    Yeah, that happened, just as I was ready to commit to a FT+meth set up. By the guy everyone nutswings for around here too. Le sigh..... Anyways, not long afterwards I dumped the b6 and focused on my coupe(s).

Originally posted by onceover View Post
    EFR's are all the rage for a while and then the leadtimes promptly stopped any sort of real development for the 1.8T platform.

I would have loved to run one instead of my GT30 but waiting a few months for a new turbo was not an option.
    Pat that was years ago. EFRs are easy (enough) to get nowadays. And no more investment housing casting issues. But they do cost more than a FT setup (hence my recommendation to flex a FT setup all the way until you can put a proper BT/BAT set up together). Mike @ Ringer Racing is who I bought mine from. Best guy to talk to and deal with, IMO. Especially for 1.8t. Also, Geoff Racier @ FullRace is the major EFR distributor for BW, and he really helped with me pricing and tech info. I believe he had a lot to do with development from the aftermarket standpoint, and was instrumental in getting non-WG housings with v-band in/out. I could kiss him for that lol

Theres a guy on Audizine (Operator) with a 2.0 build on his red b7, think it's an efr6758.
    link: (Ă–perator's) - K0R-GT to EFR Build - Page 32 - Audizine

And there are others with the EFR out there, but you'd probably have to search a bit. Vortex maybe? Unfortunately the EFR didn't blow up like billet version of old-tech turbos (e.g. HTA, GTX, CT, PTE, etc). Good for me though, I like to be somewhat different.
    Last edited by PRY4SNO; 07-08-2014, 07:32 PM. Reason: change link
    Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

Candy White 2010 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI 6 speed /// #farmenwagen
    Indigo Pearl Effect 1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
    Brilliant Black 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXVi10qVCs0

Comment

Looks like there's a lot of room left in that tune...

(I know it's a 2.0t vs. 1.8t, but still)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyGFEJxxihY

Comment

I've been very curious and hope to have some questions answered in this thread as well. Currently on stock turbo but have seriously been considering gt2871r elim

The shop I'm at should be installing the gtrs on a 1.8t mk4 within the next month or so and I'm curious as to how useable the powerband is below 3500-4000rpm.

For the mods I already have for Stg 1+ the elim kit seems the best bang for bolt on power. My motoza tune also can support the gt2871

I have watched the struggle with manifolds that don't allow you to bolt up easily, and or have significant problems with turbo bolts backing out and that is not a hassle I want to deal with.

Subscribed.

Comment

Honestly if I were to do it all again I would likely go with a gonzo gtt as my number 1 option or a close second would be the frankenturbo f23. No real serious loss in spool and should be able to hit 300whp pretty easy. (I think the best numbers on the gtt are over 360 whp on e85).

Don't get me wrong, BT is fun as hell, but it's a never ending money pit. But no power before 4000 rpm give or take kinda sucks. But man, BT and 25-26 psi makes for a fun little econo car
            Dylan

Comment

I had a gtrs on my gti back in high school and it was a fun little 300hp turbo, but that being said I couldn't stand a turbo that does not hold boost / make power for my entire rev range. I've now got a 3071 with a pag parts billet wheel and never thought its too big/ laggy. It makes 20 psi before 4k rpm and 30 psi at 4700. That's with cams and intake manifold all things that make more lag in a set up.
              I'm also with Dylan get a decent size turbo and crank up the boost.
              Derek
              01 GTI -cammed+stroked
              06 gmc - duramax
              11 Touareg
              Can am renegade 800

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Avant View Post
                I've been very curious and hope to have some questions answered in this thread as well. Currently on stock turbo but have seriously been considering gt2871r elim

The shop I'm at should be installing the gtrs on a 1.8t mk4 within the next month or so and I'm curious as to how useable the powerband is below 3500-4000rpm.

For the mods I already have for Stg 1+ the elim kit seems the best bang for bolt on power. My motoza tune also can support the gt2871

I have watched the struggle with manifolds that don't allow you to bolt up easily, and or have significant problems with turbo bolts backing out and that is not a hassle I want to deal with.

Subscribed.
                From what I can tell, the aftermaktet high flow manifolds are the ones that are a pain to fit but the elim kits bolt up to stock anyways and a lot of guys just run stock manifolds.
                Also, when you say you me motoza tune can support a GT2871r you mean you can change the settings on it?? That would be cool as heck
                Evan

Brilliant Black B6 A4 1.8T

Comment

Originally posted by tirerub View Post
                  get a decent size turbo and crank up the boost.
                  This
                  Evan

Brilliant Black B6 A4 1.8T

Comment

Can't remember. .. what's the consensus on the PSi Concepts manifold? Should bolt up like stock and perform better, no?

Comment

Originally posted by hooddub View Post
                      From what I can tell, the aftermaktet high flow manifolds are the ones that are a pain to fit but the elim kits bolt up to stock anyways and a lot of guys just run stock manifolds.
                      Also, when you say you me motoza tune can support a GT2871r you mean you can change the settings on it?? That would be cool as heck
                      Yeah motoza does remote tuning, cel deletes and all. Send him a list of mods and he's able to send a basemap, and through exchanging logs is able to tune each vehicle independently. Can be a lengthy process as he's a busy guy, but I'm very happy with the improvement (upgrading from apr stg1)

Comment

Stock manifold for eliminator turbos FTW. Had a high flow that cracked, went to OEM and couldnt tell the difference.

My PSI concepts manifold for the GT30 has been good. Was relativley easy to install too, minus having to remove the engine mount bracket from the block to get the turbo in.

Pat

His
                        1989 Porsche Carrera 4 // 5 Speed // Guards Red

Hers
                        1987 VW Cabriolet // 20VT // O2J // Recaros // Porsche Slate Grey // Ronal Turbos // FK Coilovers

2005 Porsche Cayenne S

Theirs
                        1977 VW Type 2 Westfalia

Gone
                        2004 Audi A4 1.8T // quattro // 6 Speed // Brilliant Red
                        Fully built 1.8T || AEB || Motoza tuned || ID1000 || S4 MAF || GT3076R

Comment

Just for sake of discussion the engine build i had planned on doing was in my opinion a ver good compromise of lower end torque, quick spool along with good top end range. 82.5mm 26XX 9.5:1 pistons, AEG/FSI stroker crank to up displacement to just over 2000cc, vbanded turbo/mani/exhaust/etc, GTX2867 turbo, supertech valvetrain, aeb head, RMR intake manifold/fuel rail, tyrolsport SMIC, 70mm tbody, genesis series 2 in tank fuel pump, wavetrac LSD.

Comment

Its been over 11 years when I built my first big turbo 1.8t. I've seen some good stuff come out since then. The turbo technology is amazing. Back then if you're making over 300whp your 4 cylinder was fast. Never had the options of drop in rods or stroker kit. We kept it simple. Kept the power under 360whp and the tq around 300 we never blew up any motor's. Then the new turbos started coming out and more an more 1.8ts were blowing up. The low end tq kills the little motor. Sometimes the simple build is the best build.
                            EURODYNE
                            01 Gti awd 2L 20V HTA3582 11.4@124 best mph 128.25
                            04 R32T 6266
                            Tow machine 2011 F350 DRW 6.7

Comment

What everyone says is good info. I would highly recommend everything v-banded if you can afford it. That's my only major regret with my current setup.
                              Dylan

Comment

Originally posted by BolideVW View Post
                                What everyone says is good info. I would highly recommend everything v-banded if you can afford it. That's my only major regret with my current setup.
                                For what reason do you say that? My unitronic cat/downpipe is vband, but what potential issues arise from going regular old bolt up?

Comment

Working...
                                X