1.8T Turbo Upgrade Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1.8T Turbo Upgrade Discussion Thread

Okay so as many of you know I am planning on going with a bigger turbo however, I often find myself wondering things and wishing I knew the answer and I feel like this is a good idea seeing how many 1.8T guys are on here.

So my first question is if anyone on here is running a Frankenturbo?
    Specifically the F21 for a longitudinal Audi 1.8T but a VW wouldn't be much different. I'm wondering about fitment mostly, I've read that the frankenturbo manifold for the F21 is a PIA to fit and was hoping for some insight on this. Also I was wondering if the stock k03 oil/coolant lines are compatible with frankenturbos.
    And for anyone that's wondering, a GTRS is still on the table however when you compare pricing, the Frankenturbo is just too good of a deal. $1500 for a GTRS with coolant and oil lines versus $2000 for an F21 turbo, mani, injectors, tune, manual boost controller, 3" MAF housing, new DV and whatever else it comes with.
    Not only that but a decent frankenturbo set up is capable of at least 250whp which is a good number to begin with but I would be looking to make closer to 260-275whp.

For reference on a similar set-up as what I would do: 288whp on his last pull with a pretty conservative set-up.
    Last edited by hooddub; 07-05-2014, 03:55 PM.
    Evan

Brilliant Black B6 A4 1.8T

Re: 1.8T Turbo Upgrade Discussion Thread

FWIW, when I had my b6 I was going with FT and meth for a daily driver. Wanted to enjoy merging in rush hour, some highway pulls or at auto-x / HPDE type days.

IMO, It's about the best all round set up for response down low and some jam up top on a stock block.

For the price, the FT kits punch above their weight class.

Build the head when you get bored, maybe the bottom end... then graduate to an EFR set up.
    Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

Candy White 2010 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI 6 speed /// #farmenwagen
    Indigo Pearl Effect 1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
    Brilliant Black 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

Comment

Originally posted by PRY4SNO View Post

Build the head when you get bored, maybe the bottom end... then graduate to an EFR set up.
      Borg warner EFR series turbos are awesome.

That being said mixing a large compressor with a small hotside makes for alot of fun as well. My gt32 with a .48 ar hotside is a riot. Plenty of usable power and minimal lag. But in the end it comes down to your power goals. What kind of driving you want to do, and how much you want to change to make it all work properly.
      And I guess your budget as well

Comment

If you want to stay with a relatively smaller turbo in this case you may want to talk to GTS (aka gonzo) and see if they can put together a kit for you or make recommendations. Their GTT turbo will put down 260-270whp without additional mods and if you build the block in the future it can put out tons of power. Typically a direct bolt on for a mk4, a very quick spooling turbo but with tuning it can be rod safe.
        Their kit is typically only about $1600-1700 i think for the mk4 but not sure what all is included

Comment

FWIW, when I had my b6 I was going with FT and meth for a daily driver. Wanted to enjoy merging in rush hour, some highway pulls or at auto-x / HPDE type days.

IMO, It's about the best all round set up for response down low and some jam up top on a stock block.

For the price, the FT kits punch above their weight class.

Exactly what I was thinking.. Even a GTRS set-up was just starting to look a bit expensive on my current budget but I also don't want to get stuck with a k03. My GTI I found okay in terms of power with a k03 but my B6 not so much. How did you enjoy your FT? I was also playing with the idea of a meth kit just for a shits haha
          Did you install the turbo yourself/did you find any difficulties with install/fitment?
          Did you run stock lines or did the frankenturbo require new lines?
          Evan

Comment

Originally posted by doubleclutch View Post
            Borg warner EFR series turbos are awesome.

That being said mixing a large compressor with a small hotside makes for alot of fun as well. My gt32 with a .48 ar hotside is a riot. Plenty of usable power and minimal lag. But in the end it comes down to your power goals. What kind of driving you want to do, and how much you want to change to make it all work properly.
            And I guess your budget as well
            Mostly at this point it comes down to budget. I don't want a huge turbo due to this being my only car and I want to be able to spool up around the city before 4500rpm which is why I was going to do a GTRS but realistically the cost of putting together a GTRS set up is a little high for me so I've been doing my research on frankenturbos an they look good!
            Evan

Comment

Originally posted by MechEngg View Post
              If you want to stay with a relatively smaller turbo in this case you may want to talk to GTS (aka gonzo) and see if they can put together a kit for you or make recommendations. Their GTT turbo will put down 260-270whp without additional mods and if you build the block in the future it can put out tons of power. Typically a direct bolt on for a mk4, a very quick spooling turbo but with tuning it can be rod safe.
              Their kit is typically only about $1600-1700 i think for the mk4 but not sure what all is included
              This could also be an option! I was initially thinking I would do rods but not build my motor and make a safe smaller big turbo set up but it's just looking less and less likely to happen due to expenses. I'll look into the GTT and see what is available for a similar price as the FT kit
              Last edited by hooddub; 07-06-2014, 07:50 PM.
              Evan

Comment

And just to clarify, this isn't MY thread, it's for anyone who has questions about anything related to 1.8T turbo set-ups!
                Evan

Comment

Originally posted by hooddub View Post
                  Mostly at this point it comes down to budget. I don't want a huge turbo due to this being my only car and I want to be able to spool up around the city before 4500rpm which is why I was going to do a GTRS but realistically the cost of putting together a GTRS set up is a little high for me so I've been doing my research on frankenturbos an they look good!
                  I'm at full boost by 4500 ish. But I still have stock head and cams and only running 12psi. My turbo is also only a journal bearing not ball bearing. The newer turbo tech has come a long way since the gt series I have was state of the art.

Comment

Exactly what I was thinking.. Even a GTRS set-up was just starting to look a bit expensive on my current budget but I also don't want to get stuck with a k03. My GTI I found okay in terms of power with a k03 but my B6 not so much. How did you enjoy your FT? I was also playing with the idea of a meth kit just for a shits haha
                    Did you install the turbo yourself/did you find any difficulties with install/fitment?
                    Did you run stock lines or did the frankenturbo require new lines?
                    Sold my b6 before that happened. But I researched the ish out of it to reach that conclusion.
                    Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

Candy White 2010 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI 6 speed /// #farmenwagen
                    Indigo Pearl Effect 1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
                    Brilliant Black 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

Comment

Sold my b6 before that happened. But I researched the ish out of it to reach that conclusion.
                      Before what happened? Real big turbo?
                      Mind answering my other questions?
                      Evan

Comment

Before what happened? Real big turbo?
                        Mind answering my other questions?
                        Youch... I was on hand at the time so let me just say that someone at a well known local shop dropped a bolt down the spark plug hole and buttoned everything up and sent him packing - then things went from bad to worse... n worser.

In other news, there is some EFR action floating around though... and that should put a smile on anyones face

As noted before, the GTT package from Gonzo will be your best bang for buck, hands down (nice step up from FT as well) but I don't believe he's making longitudinal kits just yet - although he will if five people commit.
                        Work - houzz / linkedin
                        Play - haldex swap

Comment

Officially confused lol. Are we talking about PRY4SNO's old B6's motor blowing up because someone dropped a bolt into it???
                          Evan

Comment

EFR's are all the rage for a while and then the leadtimes promptly stopped any sort of real development for the 1.8T platform.

I would have loved to run one instead of my GT30 but waiting a few months for a new turbo was not an option.
                            Last edited by onceover; 07-08-2014, 08:55 AM.

Pat

His
                            1989 Porsche Carrera 4 // 5 Speed // Guards Red

Hers
                            1987 VW Cabriolet // 20VT // O2J // Recaros // Porsche Slate Grey // Ronal Turbos // FK Coilovers

2005 Porsche Cayenne S

Theirs
                            1977 VW Type 2 Westfalia

Gone
                            2004 Audi A4 1.8T // quattro // 6 Speed // Brilliant Red
                            Fully built 1.8T || AEB || Motoza tuned || ID1000 || S4 MAF || GT3076R

Comment

T3 super 60 is a great little turbo on the 1.8t. Lots of people have been having great luck with them.
                              EURODYNE
                              01 Gti awd 2L 20V HTA3582 11.4@124 best mph 128.25
                              04 R32T 6266
                              Tow machine 2011 F350 DRW 6.7

Comment

Working...
                              X