SUV Comparisons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SUV Comparisons

So out shopping for a new whip this weekend and we want to get an SUV.

We checked out the 2014 Mercedes ML350 bluetec, Infiniti QX60 and a new Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Diesel.

The Infiniti was surprisingly very well built. Solid doors, great interior leather and soft touch materials, nice dash layout and trim. Motor was a 268 HP V6 with a nice infiniti grumble but the transmission is a CVT. I'm not 100% sold on this one. Drove very nice and has a TON of features/toys to it like full cameras around, power everything, remote start, major audio system, heated/cooled seats, heated steering wheel and the list goes on.. very well equipped for 61k.

Next went over to Mercedes and tested the ML350 blutec. Interior is typical german. reminded me very much of Audi really for the quality of leather, dash,etc felt very similar. Tester had a few upgrades like full leather interior and even on the dash which was nice. Feature wise didn't have as many toys as infiniti but was really comfy and then pretty sporty too. Had air suspension which was OK. Diesel motor was SO QUIET. it sounds like a hybrid or something. Thing has a TON of torque really moved quickly and was pretty fun to drive. Options are pretty pricey on it though. One on the lot we liked was 80k.

Then we hit up Airdrie Chrysler to look at the new Jeep Grand Cherokee. For being a domestic its built really well! really nice interior, leather on the dash, upgrades galore like heated steering wheel, bixenon lights with side tracking, impact control, rear impact dectection/braking, blind spot monitoring. Cluster has a big ass LCD in the middle that you can swap a ton of info in which was nice. stereo was nice with a huge centre LCD panel too.
    Price on the one we tested came to 61K; pretty pricey for a domestic i thought and the one big turnoff on Jeep was the warranty is only 3years/60k but power train was 5year/100k. also Chryslers rates seriously sucked compared to competitors.

this week going to try and Touareg diesel out and then go check an updated Q7 to compare.

Re: SUV Comparisons

That is crazy money for those SUVs....personally I would not want to have that much cash tied up in a vehicle. Trouble is once you start to look at the $60-$80K vehicles the $30K ones look so plain.
    2004 VW Jetta TDI Sport

Comment

^very true.. i find the market for them pretty crazy.. they all cost along the same even the other domestics like caddies and buick,etc they are not cheap for sure.. you can option MLs and X5s well above 100k no problem even

Comment

Check out Volvo XC 60 also very nice. And the new XC 90 is released next month

Took the Volvo in for service today and got a new v60 for a loaner ... Very nice car, t5 awd.
        Last edited by Lars; 07-07-2014, 03:10 PM.
        12 Volvo XC 90
        03 Jetta1.8T
        95 Cabrio VRT
        90 G60 Corrado

Colleen at 403-819-0132 or colleen@brayco.ca for all your mortgage needs.

Comment

Unless Infiniti has improved their paint quality... Stay far away. My G35 was chewed to **** from rock chips, Japanese paint just tends to be super thin. Some light googling will show you how terrible Infiniti paint is.
          Last edited by ToXicXxX; 07-07-2014, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Go for the touareg man! The ML is nice, but just ask Jerry about the quality issues... lol
            Jason

"You dont buy a Volkswagen once, you buy it ten times."
            ---Samuel Moore

Instagram: @Wangtastic
            PM me to get your car detailed! - Brightside Detailing

Comment

My parents have the Grand Cherokee Overland, they love it. I had it for 2 weeks and was really impressed. Was the full load with air ride. Interior and paint have held up well since they live in the country and drive gravel roads.
              2007 A3 3.2vr | S-line | Quattro | Brilliant Black Sold
              2020 Glacier White A4 Allroad
              2013 Allroad Scuba Blue

Comment

We recently shopped for an SUV as well. I was turned off by the lack if technology in the touareg when compared to other vehicles in that price range. The big contenders for us were the glk 250 and the Q5 TDI, which may be a little too small for what you're looking at. We take delivery of ours in August. Happy shopping!

Comment

Yeah, I haven't heard good things on quality on the Mercs lately...
                  --
                  Rod
                  Ex-presidente

Drive

2016 VW Golf .:R

Drove
                  2001.5 Audi S4 / Santorin Blue STAGE II+ / JFonz Tuned

Comment

i would get the new q7 next year

2002 VW Golf GT TDI
                    2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

How about the new Porsche Macan?

Comment

Why not give the XC60 a look? It's been refreshed this year, the R-Design is a beautiful SUV.

Daily: 2015 VW Jetta Trendline + (his) 2018 VW Tiguan Comfortline (hers) 2011 Volvo C30 R-Design: Orange Flame Metallic, Polestar, Milltek non-resonated exhaust, Various OEM+ accessories

Toy: 1992 Saab 900 Turbo Convertible: Talladega Red, 16in Aero wheels, 5MT.

Comment

Kulu Motorcar has a 2013 Touareg TDI listed. Not sure if this is a decent deal etc. These SUVs are not cheap!

http://www.kulumotorcar.com/car-detail.asp?id=1135

Comment

Originally posted by witchcraftz View Post
                            How about the new Porsche Macan?
                            Read in the paper about how awesome it was, until you looked at the >$80k price tag. Writer said he'd look at an SQ5 instead.

At any rate, I think they're smaller than what Ryan's looking for.
                            Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

Candy White 2010 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI 6 speed /// #farmenwagen
                            Indigo Pearl Effect 1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
                            Brilliant Black 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

Comment

yea need something a bit bigger

hoping to buy one hear before moving out east so no HST.. i know the next gen Q7 is out next year but thats probably late next fall.. oh well we'll see what we can do before the fall

i was interested in the new volvo for sure depending on the cost but i'm sure it will line right up with the others.

Comment

Working...
                              X