Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have experience with minerva tires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have experience with minerva tires?

Im thinking about picking up a set of wheels with winters on them. I cant find many reviews on them. has anyone experienced or heard of Minerva S210 XL 91V Winter Tires? It looks they are really cheap winters, about 125$ per for 225/40/18

I had cheap winters on my r32, and had no issues with them other than that they were kinda loud when you are on pavement. With quattro, im sure they would be fine, but i just wanted to get some oppinions.

only reviews i could find: http://www.tyretest.com/winter-tyres...210/index.html

pics of tread pattern:

thanks.

Re: Anyone have experience with minerva tires?

225/40r18 is a little small hey?

I've been looking at and reading about tons of tires recently for the A4. Looking at a 235/40R18 or 215/45R18. Likely going to do Hakka R2's, Michelin Xi3's or Blizzak WS80's. Buy nice or buy twice!

Pat

His
    1989 Porsche Carrera 4 // 5 Speed // Guards Red

Hers
    1987 VW Cabriolet // 20VT // O2J // Recaros // Porsche Slate Grey // Ronal Turbos // FK Coilovers

2005 Porsche Cayenne S

Theirs
    1977 VW Type 2 Westfalia

Gone
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T // quattro // 6 Speed // Brilliant Red
    Fully built 1.8T || AEB || Motoza tuned || ID1000 || S4 MAF || GT3076R

Comment

Don't cheap out on tires. I have a couple times and ALWAYS regret it.

I've got Hakka R2's and they're awesome in winter stuffs... my only beef is they're quite squishy in the dry. Although my last few sets have been considered "performance winters."

Comment

Im running Minerva's right now, pretty decent for the price, no complaints here but my car is not a daily. I have been running them year round this year as I didn't get a chance to put my summers on yet and not going to bother now.

Comment

Originally posted by onceover View Post
          Likely going to do Hakka R2's, Michelin Xi3's or Blizzak WS80's. Buy nice or buy twice!
          I have had no experience with those specific tires but i have experience with Michelin X-Ice2's, Blizzak WS70's, and Nitto SN2's. All of them performed very well for me. Zero issues with any of them, zero complaints other than a softer sidewall on the Nitto's but that was only due to the larger sidewall.

That being said i am going with the Michelin X-Ice3's right now. They have increased the dry pavement km's significantly over all the competitors and in Calgary there is a TON of dry pavement driving in the winter. So I'm getting them for the good snow and ice performance (maybe not as good in powdered snow as the blizzaks but use a smaller width such as the 215 and it should power through) and they will last a long time in Calgary driving conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by MechEngg View Post
            I have had no experience with those specific tires but i have experience with Michelin X-Ice2's, Blizzak WS70's, and Nitto SN2's. All of them performed very well for me. Zero issues with any of them, zero complaints other than a softer sidewall on the Nitto's but that was only due to the larger sidewall.

That being said i am going with the Michelin X-Ice3's right now. They have increased the dry pavement km's significantly over all the competitors and in Calgary there is a TON of dry pavement driving in the winter. So I'm getting them for the good snow and ice performance (maybe not as good in powdered snow as the blizzaks but use a smaller width such as the 215 and it should power through) and they will last a long time in Calgary driving conditions.
            I was leaning towards the Xi3's but there are no 235's anywhere in the country right now with no expected arrival. I would prefer to stick to 235's.

Pat

His
            1989 Porsche Carrera 4 // 5 Speed // Guards Red

Hers
            1987 VW Cabriolet // 20VT // O2J // Recaros // Porsche Slate Grey // Ronal Turbos // FK Coilovers

2005 Porsche Cayenne S

Theirs
            1977 VW Type 2 Westfalia

Gone
            2004 Audi A4 1.8T // quattro // 6 Speed // Brilliant Red
            Fully built 1.8T || AEB || Motoza tuned || ID1000 || S4 MAF || GT3076R

Comment

Hakka 7/8's are also excellent. Studded or not. Nokian is pretty unbeatable for winter tires.

Though if you want cheap, we have some that are about $100 a tire and basically blizaks.
              Last edited by ToXicXxX; 09-15-2014, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by onceover View Post
                I was leaning towards the Xi3's but there are no 235's anywhere in the country right now with no expected arrival. I would prefer to stick to 235's.
                Ah that sucks! Any available online via tirerack/1010/discounttiredirect/etc? 225's really aren't that much smaller are they? Well besides the obvious 1cm narrower there won't be much of a sidewall angle difference between the tires hey? And they may be cheaper?

Comment

Originally posted by ToXicXxX View Post
                  Hakka 7/8's are also excellent. Studded or not. Nokian is pretty unbeatable for winter tires.

Though if you want cheap, we have some that are about $100 a tire and basically blizaks.
                  Lol. Seems legit...

Comment

I'll throw my 2.5 c here...I put Hakka 7's on my Golf TDI last fall, clocked 15k kms on them...dry/ice/ and deep snow...never a problem grip wise, and still barely used looking!
                    Hers 2009 Audi A4 6sp manual
                    Mine....2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, colour matched Huffs. Frostheater

Comment

I've read the whole tread on the hakka's and I'm sure they are great, I might look at getting those if I pass on this wheel/tire package. I was just looking for who specifically knew about these Minerva tires

Comment

Nokian are all I've run for about the past 10 winters... tough tire to beat.
                        Work - houzz / linkedin
                        Play - haldex swap

Comment

no experience with, and have never even heard of minerva.

That being said, I got Federal Himalaya WS2 winters for my R, and got them for my wifes car as well, both from Cort at Urban X and they are amazing. Only cost about $115/tire and they were awesome winters. Never had a problem in the snow and ice and they weren't too noisy on dry pavement either. For the money I doubt there would be a better winter tire for the money.
                          sigpic

<<<Ben>>>

Present:
                          His: 2008 Cayenne Turbo
                          Hers: 2012 Ibis White Q5
                          Past:
                          B7 A4 Avant 6MT Black
                          B7 A4 Avant 6MT Silver
                          2004 .:R32 BMP
                          2001.5 Noggy blue s4
                          2000 VW GTI 1.8T
                          1997 VW Jetta VR6

Comment

On my Wife's Honda Accord v6 we put on the Michelin xi2's and they are a great tire for ice I found. I liked them so much that after years of using cheap winters for my on car I put a set of xi3's on my Passat last winter. They do have great longevity on dry pavement, I find that they have no problems pulling both my boaty cars in deep snow and I have not been in a situation with them that left me regretting buying them. All in all, just about any winter tire is better than an all season during the winter months, and mix that with common sense driving and you should have no problems.

Comment

In all my years with AWD I had a mixed bag of winter tires, and can honestly say I didnt notice a difference from one brand to another. Get something that fits in your budget and you will be fine, especially for regular city driving.
                              Last edited by R-Audi; 09-16-2014, 08:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X