lugnut "key"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lugnut "key"

Anyone in the NW that can lend me their key for the OEM lug nuts? I seem to have misplaced mine and want to pull the winters off my car. I'm sure it's kicking around in my garage somewhere but can't find it. I guess I can try and get it off via other means if I can't track one down.
    Jeff

his - '03 GTI VR6
    hers - '06 A4 S-line Avant
    sigpic

Re: lugnut "key"

what does yours look like? mines a 15 point star

Im in the nw and if its the same u can grab it
    Now offering detailing services!! http://www.gtrauto.ca/detailing-services.html

United Motorsport, Kerma TDI, KW, APR, COBB, Magnaflow, K&N, AFE, Motul, Lubromoly, Sonax, Air Lift, HPA, Ohlins, Klutch Wheels, Remus Exhaust

info@gtrauto.ca / www.gtrauto.ca / GTR Auto Facebook

Comment

I could be wrong but isn't there 12 different ones? All basically similar?
      Jay

Comment

Not too sure. I know the one for our Audi doesn't fit my Golf. I'll take a pick of the bolt tonight when I get home and post it. I'm thinking it might be just as easy to bang on a socket or one of those crappy tire gorilla socket things to take them off.
        Jeff

his - '03 GTI VR6
        sigpic

Comment

Yep, there are several different lug keys but good idea to take a pic... maybe someone on here has the same one.
          Work - houzz / linkedin
          Play - haldex swap

Comment

OK, this is the bolt I'm trying to remove... anyone got the key for it?
            Jeff

his - '03 GTI VR6
            sigpic

Comment

I think I have one, I haven't used the OE locks in a while. I'll check tonight.

Comment

like this?

Comment

Pm'd
                  Jeff

his - '03 GTI VR6
                  sigpic

Comment

I swapped mine out, you can have them, all 4 bolts and the key.

If you've lost the key and can't find one, it might be simplest to go to princess auto and get the 3 pc set of "lug nut remover sockets" #8211633 $18. That will get the bolt out, maybe even without damaging the internal splines.

Then either get replacment non-key bolts, or get my complete matched set of bolts and the key.

The worst thing for the key is the monkeys at the tire shop, using the key in the 800ft/lb impact gun without taking great care to seat it properly in the bolt. Then the bolt and the key strip out, and the monkey stands there with the "DUHHH.... this is gonna cost-ya" look. DAMHIK

According to the owners manual, correct torque is 87 ft/lbs which isn't very much. Re-torque after 50 kms. Overtorque is also a cause of trouble on those spline key bolts.

And if you have alloy wheels, smear a bit of anti-seize on the hub centre, otherwise galvanic corrosion will securely weld the wheels to the hub, making removal difficult. When the wheel is corroded to the hub, a 30 pound rubber hammer would be the ticket to pound one side then the other to get the wheel off. Try using the spare tire as a 30 lb rubber hammer. It works, and does no damage. Monkeys at tire shop are different. DAMHIK again.

And yes, there are several different patterns of splines on the security bolts and the key to match.

Jiggs

Comment

TDI Dub hooked me up with the right key to get them off. I usually coat the center of the wheel and my spacers with a thin film of grease. I have two sets of wheels and change them myself (which is why I was running winters until last week). I also torque them by hand and re-torque with my torquewrench after about 100km.
                      Jeff

his - '03 GTI VR6
                      sigpic

Comment

high crime neighborhood? locking up steelies
                        put.......put.......

.... ... .. .

Comment

Nope, just that I only have 16 regular and 4 locking from my OEM wheels. My summers run spacers and are too long for steelies so I just use what I have.
                          Jeff

his - '03 GTI VR6
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X