Windshield Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windshield Replacement

I'm planning on finally getting the windshield replaced in the GTI in a couple of weeks. Just wondering if anyone has any suggerstions or horror stories before I book the appointment. I got a real good quote from Windshield Surgeons. I'm guessing that they use aftermarket glass for the price they quoted me. Is there a good reason to go OEM or does aftermarket glass do the job. Anything else I should look out for?

Thanks,
    Scott
    Sanity In Numbers

Re: Windshield Replacement

I used GlassMasters price was reasonable and install was good.
    MKV GTI
    '73 Westfalia

Comment

As have I, my only issue was with the pressure test. My new windshield passed, but leaked in an auto car wash. They fixed it up though.

Music to permeate your soul …
      Jayson
      MKIV Jetta GLS VR6 -PARTING OUT-

What's Next?

Comment

Stay with an O.E quality.
        Less prone to stress cracks and chipping.

Comment

Give right way auto glass a call, +1 (403) 807-1042

Had a couple done by them, including my dads truck, never seen a problem.
          Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
          2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

Glassmasters has been good for me. I've done several there. Prices seem good too. if you have one of those big coupon books (Entertainment Guide i think?) that various guys use for fund raising, there is usually something in there for them as well.

I used Kings for one and the glass sucked. The OEM type black edges weren't there, the tint at the top wasn't there and the dot they put on for the rearview was about an inch too low (this was for a Jetta window)
            Last edited by stefan; 08-10-2011, 01:14 PM.
            Stefan
            -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
            -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
            -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
            -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Originally posted by Turkey View Post
              Is there a good reason to go OEM or does aftermarket glass do the job. Anything else I should look out for?
              OEM Windshields are far better than the aftermarket glass from China that you get everywhere else. The problem is... they're usually triple the price! So, you need to ask yourself... do you want the best... or do you just want something good enough.

For me... I've always went to CalAlta Autoglass (Both Edmonton Trail and McLeod locations) and never had a problem. Great bunch of guys who all seem to be car nuts themselves. I've never had an issue with any of their install jobs.

NOTE: One thing to watch out for is to make sure you remove any radar detector cords or other "temporary" wires that you have tucked behind your dash and close to the windshield before you get one installed. I didn't a number of years ago. The radar detector cord was tucked into the crease at the bottom of the windshield where it meets the dash. Anyhow, it wasn't tucked down far enough. They installed the new windshield. No issues. Then 6 months later when I was selling the car and trying to remove the radar detector and cord... I couldn't. The glue they used to bond the windshield to the car had also bonded my radar cord to the car. Long story short, I destroyed the cord trying to get it out and had to buy a new one. Doh!
              Rob
              Daddy's "Hooligan" - MK4 R32 in Deep Blue Pearl
              Mommy's "Gran Turismo" - E70 X5M in Black Sapphire Metallic

GONE... BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:

The Family "Muscle Car" - B7 RS4 in Misano Red - Dad's 20th Anniversary "Wanna-be R32" GTi

Comment

I recommend doing it through 5th Ave Autohaus. I had to have my Rabbit windshield replaced. The parts department supplies a real VW windshield (no mystery glass) that is surprisingly cheap (cost competitive), and the guy from King's Glass comes over and does it. That way you have gone through a dealer and they have to deal with any issues (I had none). Windshield was $222 for the real thing. With installation it came to $450 or thereabouts.

Comment

And my 2c...got a windshield at Moores, great service, and probably an aftermarket(whatever)...230$
                  Hers 2009 Audi A4 6sp manual
                  Mine....2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, colour matched Huffs. Frostheater

Comment

Loc at Cosmos installs OEM glass too. He was saying that most places don't touch up scratches behind the seals and they rust over time... Loc takes care of them of course
                    Work - houzz / linkedin
                    Play - haldex swap

Comment

Originally posted by All_Euro View Post
                      Loc at Cosmos installs OEM glass too.
                      Well la-di-frickin'-da... I know where I'm going for my next windshield!
                      Rob
                      Daddy's "Hooligan" - MK4 R32 in Deep Blue Pearl
                      Mommy's "Gran Turismo" - E70 X5M in Black Sapphire Metallic

GONE... BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:

The Family "Muscle Car" - B7 RS4 in Misano Red - Dad's 20th Anniversary "Wanna-be R32" GTi

Comment

Originally posted by Geobmx4life View Post
                        And my 2c...got a windshield at Moores, great service, and probably an aftermarket(whatever)...230$
                        Yout got janked! Last one I had done there was $185.

I did my last one myself After experiencing that and seeing the damage a shop can do, never again will anyone I don't know be doing a windshield on one of my cars unless I know I am selling it.

Always remember, you get what you pay for, you pay more, you get any scratches behind touched up to prevent your car from rusting from the inside out and high quality glass, cheap, you get gouges and cheap glass...
                        Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
                        2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

Originally posted by BaggedGLI View Post
                          Yout got janked! Last one I had done there was $185.

I did my last one myself After experiencing that and seeing the damage a shop can do, never again will anyone I don't know be doing a windshield on one of my cars unless I know I am selling it.

Always remember, you get what you pay for, you pay more, you get any scratches behind touched up to prevent your car from rusting from the inside out and high quality glass, cheap, you get gouges and cheap glass...
                          Oh Colin...this was 5 years ago...and it was on my Nissan...I called a bunch of other places and the most were 350+
                          Hers 2009 Audi A4 6sp manual
                          Mine....2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, colour matched Huffs. Frostheater

Comment

I got mine replaced on the 00 Jetta when I was down south...I paid $125USD which came to around $112 at the time. Lulz.

Comment

Originally posted by BaggedGLI View Post
                              I did my last one myself
                              Nice, how much did it cost for the tools... pretty straightforward?
                              Work - houzz / linkedin
                              Play - haldex swap

Comment

Working...
                              X