Clear All

Re: Dieselgeek Timing belt kit

Do the seals.
    Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
    2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

I don't know where to begin on changing a turbo's seals? I think this may be beyond my technical abilities.

Comment

Bought a used BEW KP39 turbo with 40k on it for $150 shipped. I'll be taking the entire intake system apart to clean it while I'm stuck waiting for the turbo. Since I've got the engine disassembled, what else should I be doing/cleaning? It's such a pain to have to wait for another part lol.

Comment

So after digging through this engine, I believe the story behind this engine's failure is as follows:

1 - The turbo seals failed as well as the EGR seals and oil started dripping into the intake (the wrong oil may have been put in the car?).
          2 - The owner was driving at WOT which caused some drops of oil to enter the pistons.
          3 - The piston temporarily hydrolocked (unknown if any damage to the piston at this time).
          4 - The ECU went into emergency mode and shut everything down in the engine.
          5 - The sudden freezing of the water pump ripped 14 teeth off the timing belt.

The Head is not cracked, so perhaps bent rods and oil pooled pistons still await me, but perhaps if it was a tiny amount of oil, then everything is okay as the small amount of oil would have vaporised and been evacuated with the exhaust gasses.

Plan for this:
          1 - I'll be pulling the EGR and rest of the intercooler system apart and checking the amount of oil in there/cleaning it.
          2 - I'll be checking the pistons to see if there are bent rods.

Comment

Pull the EGR system out and block off the spots. If there are bent rods or anything take the time to build it a bit. The BEW bottom end is very strong but the top is a serious weak spot. If you can afford it invest in a colt cam and some good valves. The engine will take anything you throw at it as long as you can.

Comment

A little bit of oil in the lines is acceptable in my books. You need A LOT of oil in the cylinder to cause hydrolock.......

From personal experience, the timing belt was tired, and the teeth stripped off. This is what happened in my car, water pump was fine and everything, the teeth are the weak points on our timing belts. My bet was that he put his foot down and the strain on it caused them to go. From trying to crank it over you will have bent valves, if they weren't already bent before.
              Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
              2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

Originally posted by BaggedGLI View Post
                A little bit of oil in the lines is acceptable in my books. You need A LOT of oil in the cylinder to cause hydrolock.......

From personal experience, the timing belt was tired, and the teeth stripped off. This is what happened in my car, water pump was fine and everything, the teeth are the weak points on our timing belts. My bet was that he put his foot down and the strain on it caused them to go. From trying to crank it over you will have bent valves, if they weren't already bent before.
                ^^ This.

A TDI (or any diesel) would have had a "run away" and ate itself LONG before enough oil entered the cylinders to actually hydrolock it.

Your waterpump failed, took out the t-belt and subsequently bent some valves. Replace or rebuild the head, put it back together and it will run.

Your turbo and rods are fine, slight amounts of oil in the intake side of a TDI is normal.

Comment

the intake side of the turbo if I put a cloth it soaks up the oil like a sponge. Too much oil there.

Comment

Water pump is simple to diagnose, does it wobble or locked? If its still in the engine its easy to figure out.

Go look on tdiclub I don't think I have seen a hydrolock due to oil. Water yes I have seen that happen, but oil it will consume and cause run away.

Good luck with the fix
                    Ben
                    2016 Ram 3500 Laramie
                    2000 Jetta TDi, Dead and removing parts
                    2005 Passat Wagon TDi, 310,000 km's and counting, BSM delete done....Trans died going to replace
                    Her's
                    2016 Toyota Highlander XLE Pearl White

Comment

Just got the "new" turbo. I looks really good, no shaft play and the manifold is really clean inside too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	turbo.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	190.0 KB
ID:	511652

Comment

I took the valve cover off and inspected the head.... no damage, that makes me a very happy camper.

Comment

You took the valve cover off and saw no damage? Or you pulled the head off and saw no damage?
                          Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
                          2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

^ what he said. Pulling the valve cover off isn't going to show you squat. Pulling the head includes taking the intake off, new headbolts and headgasket etc etc.
                            Name: Brent
                            His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
                            Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
                            Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Well, if I were him I would probably do the same. Just take the valve cover off, if it appears to look good from the topside, then you're probably ok. Yes, you can have damage to the bottom side of the head or even the block, but usually there's signs of that at the topside of the head. From my experience at least.
                              2001 Jetta TDI GL Silver
                              Malone Tune stage 5+ ,VNT17-22Turbo, OMI, PP Race Pipe, PD 150 Intake, 2 1/2" Straight back exhaust, no mufflers, 2 1/2" downpipe straight no Cat, Race 520 Injectors, 11mm Fuel Pump, Lift Pump, EGR Delete mod,DC Stage IV Clutch, Michelin X-Ice 2's, 26 lb/s of boost alll day long, Smoking like a train!

Comment

Mine showed nothing on top but all 8 exhaust valves were bent....
                                Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
                                2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

Working...
                                X