Dieselgeek Timing belt kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dieselgeek Timing belt kit

Downloading the file, thanks! I hope I don't need anything other (like a cam or or head) but I should find out shortly.

Comment

Here is another link to an online version of bentley if you just want certain sections

http://eva2.homeip.net/Bentley99-05/

Comment

That website is fantastic. Finally something for the TDI. Downloaded everything. Great help, thanks!

Comment

Here is the car under teardown last night. Worked on it, with the help of a mechanically inclined friend, till 1am this morning then went to crash in bed.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0630.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	511630

I found about 1-2 pounds of compacted dirt in the wheel wells. Also found out the headlight has internal damage. The timing belt is definitely gone. these are the teeth I found inside near the tensioner.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0633.jpg
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	511631

After checking it out looks like I'm going to need the cam tool to do this properly. Does anyone have the tool that I can borrow or rent?
          Last edited by witchcraftz; 12-18-2011, 05:11 PM.

Comment

The Cam lock or remover? I know my bro has both, but he's out east right now for the next two weeks.
            2001 Jetta TDI GL Silver
            Malone Tune stage 5+ ,VNT17-22Turbo, OMI, PP Race Pipe, PD 150 Intake, 2 1/2" Straight back exhaust, no mufflers, 2 1/2" downpipe straight no Cat, Race 520 Injectors, 11mm Fuel Pump, Lift Pump, EGR Delete mod,DC Stage IV Clutch, Michelin X-Ice 2's, 26 lb/s of boost alll day long, Smoking like a train!

Comment

Looks like you caught the timing belt just in the nick of time! Nice bumper - I had the full Votex kit on my last Jetta
              Work - houzz / linkedin
              Play - haldex swap

Comment

The Cam lock is the most important for me to get a hold of I think.

Comment

I have a damaged cam lock, which should to be honest still work. I cracked it when I decided to use it instead of the proper remover tools. Depends on how much time you have, you can always order it from IDParts, last time I ordered from them I got all my parts within 2 days of ordering. I didn't pay more than $60 to ship, and I had about 55lbs to ship so it wasn't light.
                  2001 Jetta TDI GL Silver
                  Malone Tune stage 5+ ,VNT17-22Turbo, OMI, PP Race Pipe, PD 150 Intake, 2 1/2" Straight back exhaust, no mufflers, 2 1/2" downpipe straight no Cat, Race 520 Injectors, 11mm Fuel Pump, Lift Pump, EGR Delete mod,DC Stage IV Clutch, Michelin X-Ice 2's, 26 lb/s of boost alll day long, Smoking like a train!

Comment

Yeah sorry I am out East for the next 2 weeks or else you could borrow mine. A word of advice though don't use the cam lock to remove or tighten the bolt holding the pully to the cam. They have a special tool to counter hold the cam as you will bend the crap out of the cam lock if you just use that. That's why my brothers cam lock tool is craked and bent, he forgot once to use the counterhold tool.
                    Ben
                    2016 Ram 3500 Laramie
                    2000 Jetta TDi, Dead and removing parts
                    2005 Passat Wagon TDi, 310,000 km's and counting, BSM delete done....Trans died going to replace
                    Her's
                    2016 Toyota Highlander XLE Pearl White

Comment

Yeah, you will need the counter tool in order to take the pulley off so that you can remove the plastic gaurd that will reveal the waterpump for you. So if you don't have that tool, you might want to find one.
                      2001 Jetta TDI GL Silver

Comment

I was poking around the engine bay and I noticed my turbo seems to be seeping oil around the seals...Click image for larger version

Name:	head_bang.gif
Size:	940 Bytes
ID:	511636
                        Last edited by witchcraftz; 12-20-2011, 02:30 PM.

Comment

I've borrowed the cam tool which is going to be helping a great deal but the next piece of my puzzle seems to be I need the Crankshaft lock. So if I can borrow that I should be set.

Comment

Not good news on the turbo, that sucks. You need a full timing belt tool set. Either find one, buy one, or rent one. Ben won't be back for another 2 weeks so you could wait till then too. IDParts has the set I believe.
                            2001 Jetta TDI GL Silver

Comment

Do you have the tool to set the tensioner as well? I never use the crank lock, just put the car into a gear and that always seems to work fine. I always double tripple and more check all the marks though before I put stuff together. Also turn the ngine over twice by hand and check to make sure nothing makes contact. Thenline everything up and check again.

20 mins of extra checks might seem a little much, although its way cheaper then a new head or engine.

In terms of the turbo, no chip or power modifiers i would safely assume somewhere the wrong oil was used. Best advice with the valve cover off and the blet off look into the cam. Turbo has gone the cam is probably not too far behind.
                              Ben
                              2016 Ram 3500 Laramie
                              2000 Jetta TDi, Dead and removing parts
                              2005 Passat Wagon TDi, 310,000 km's and counting, BSM delete done....Trans died going to replace
                              Her's
                              2016 Toyota Highlander XLE Pearl White

Comment

I'll be doing a lot of double checking I'm sure, this is my first timing belt.

tHe thing that bothers me about the turbo is that there is no shaft play even though there is oil in it.

Comment

Working...
                                X