MK IV dash lights stopped working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MK IV dash lights stopped working

I do also, let me know and I will leave it in my front mailbox for you to grab

Comment

Did you check the solder joints around the pins for breaks?
      Name: Brent
      His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
      Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
      Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

You guys rock, I'll do some more digging around and checking and if I do end up needing a new switch I'll let you know.

Thanks again!
        GT3071R and more...

Comment

Fixed! Turned out to be the lighter socket. The metal inside it was pulled out slightly and by pushing it back in all my ights were restored.
          GT3071R and more...

Comment

Looks like your lighter socket was causing a short, you should probably take it completely out and re-solder it or get a new one. Continuous short could cause a bunch of other problems down the road which are a lot more expensive to fix.

Comment

It's not a short, it is an open circuit. Due to the fact that my center console is loose, you can push the console down which pushes the socket out from behind breaking the circuit.

If it was indeed a short I would agree and make the necessary repairs.
              GT3071R and more...

Comment

I don't see how the lighter socket can even be on the same circuit as the dash lights let alone a open circuit causing them not to work. I know the lighter socket is keyed power but unless the power is in series with the dash light power a open circuit would never cause the dash lights to stop. Otherwise when you have nothing in the lighter socket the dash lights wouldn't work...
                All power is likely run out in parallel from the fuse panel so really it sounds like a short drawing the power down to zero in which case it should have blown a fuse.
                Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

I'd need a schematic to fully understand how the circuit is layed out. I can asure you that the lighter socket is indeed part of the circuit in some way and also that it is not a short or short to ground.

Try getting in your car turning the lights on and physically pulling on the outer ring of your lighter socket, I bet you can replicate the problem. Interestingly enough it was a google search that lead me to check this.
                  GT3071R and more...

Comment

Well just saying my dash lights have worked without the whole center console not in the car.

Comment

Yeah it's weird. I don't really know how it works, but it does. I guess if I had more time I could take the center console out and do some metering trying to figure things out.
                      GT3071R and more...

Comment

It wouldn't take much time to pull the socket completely out and check your connections. Better safe than sorry down the road. If it's messing with your lights it may also be doing something to your airbags.

Edit: in some cars the drivers airbag can malfunction from a short in the lighter socket.
                        Last edited by witchcraftz; 12-30-2011, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X