Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TDI w/ blown turbo... what are my options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: TDI w/ blown turbo... what are my options?

Originally posted by mDmVR6 View Post
    Also the car will be done at Tunedub tomorrow and I'm just wondering if there is anything/ anyway we should be driving the car to break in the new turbo, George said take it out and drive it for an hour straight. What do you think Dj?
    Go with what George sais and I am glad it is not the same car
    Name: Brent
    His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
    Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
    Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

if the roads werent crap i would say just drive it out to banff and back, thats about an hour.
      2011 Jetta TDI

Comment

Well, the instructions I was always given for breaking in a new turbo for at least the first 250km's. Don't go over 3000 rpm, try and shift at low rpm's and keep them down if possible. After the 250 km's, proceed to drive it normal again. Make sure you make it clear to your sister that she does need to drive it hard at least twice a month obviously pending on how often she drives it. This will help prevent the EGR, Intake and CAT from clogging. Shifting at higher rpm's after the break-in period is good for the car and will help clean it out. Don't have to shift all the time like this, but occasionally is good for it. These cars are meant to be driven hard. This is just a tip for during break-in and after. Never, I mean NEVER, stomp on the throttle anywhere lower than 1800 rpms. You need to roll into the throttle and let the boost build rather than just request full boost off the top. Stomping on it generally decreases the lifetime of the turbo significantly. If George is going to be doing the turbo swap anyways, he's going to have to lower most of the FMIC and drain the oil out of it. Maybe ask him how much it would cost to swap it out for the SMIC while he's got most of it down anyways. If you got all the stock SMIC parts it shouldn't take much longer and might only cost a few extra dollars. Also, this just came to mind. Ask George how clean the intake and EGR look. If those are clogged, that could be the result of your blown turbo. Hope this helps.

d.J.
        2001 Jetta TDI GL Silver
        Malone Tune stage 5+ ,VNT17-22Turbo, OMI, PP Race Pipe, PD 150 Intake, 2 1/2" Straight back exhaust, no mufflers, 2 1/2" downpipe straight no Cat, Race 520 Injectors, 11mm Fuel Pump, Lift Pump, EGR Delete mod,DC Stage IV Clutch, Michelin X-Ice 2's, 26 lb/s of boost alll day long, Smoking like a train!

Comment

This a week following a thread where the TDI was bulletproof, buy a used one for 500 bucks and you'll drive 500,000km no problems.
          KR
          Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Originally posted by Kor View Post
            This a week following a thread where the TDI was bulletproof, buy a used one for 500 bucks and you'll drive 500,000km no problems.
            lawl. brbALH4life

Comment

My woman's has 532000km's and counting.....ALH ftw.
              2001 Jetta TDI GL Silver
              Malone Tune stage 5+ ,VNT17-22Turbo, OMI, PP Race Pipe, PD 150 Intake, 2 1/2" Straight back exhaust, no mufflers, 2 1/2" downpipe straight no Cat, Race 520 Injectors, 11mm Fuel Pump, Lift Pump, EGR Delete mod,DC Stage IV Clutch, Michelin X-Ice 2's, 26 lb/s of boost alll day long, Smoking like a train!

Comment

Yeah, having just bought my TDI, this is a touch nerve racking.

Comment

The ALH and BEW are two different beasts. Any I am sure you know no turbo is ever bulletproof. Also the car was not stock with all types of weird mods which would lead to premature failure.
                  Name: Brent
                  His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
                  Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
                  Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

So George finished the car earlier today. Driving it home and it stalled out. Wouldn't start back up so towed it back to tunedub. George also mentioned the car has a junction box I believe he called it... Anyone know what these are/do?
                    MIKE
                    '03 GTi VR6

Comment

Bonfire, your turbo should be fine as long as the proper oil is used and no major boost spikes your turbo should last a long time. Biggest killer of turbo's is people who think that they can use non synthetic oil ie 15/40 and it should work fine. Also don't floor it under 1600 rpm's, that's really hard on the turbo and I have seen a vnt 17 split in half because of this.

mDmVR6

Bring things back to stock, and figure out what chip you have. Typically a stage 1 chip is a good little boost, a little more fuel, little more boost, and a little more MPG's.

Tunedub will do the initial start up which is important in how long the turbo will last.

When you get it, don't hammer the accelerator the first 300-400 km's.

Accelerate normally, on cold days give it a minute or two atleast to warm up, and give it a cool down period especially if you were on the highway or running it a little hard.

Good luck, stock should have it last for a long time assuming the correct oil is used.
                      Ben
                      2016 Ram 3500 Laramie
                      2000 Jetta TDi, Dead and removing parts
                      2005 Passat Wagon TDi, 310,000 km's and counting, BSM delete done....Trans died going to replace
                      Her's
                      2016 Toyota Highlander XLE Pearl White

Comment

Working...
                      X