Is this a no brainer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a no brainer?

So 2 Thursdays ago when we got a snow storm late in the day, I stopped off at the gas station on the way home to grab something, while leaving the parking lot, my mid-muffler/resonator got caught on one of the manhole covers (that cover the underground fuel tanks) that I couldn't see under the snow and yanked my entire exhaust system backwards a good 4-6 inches.

I was able to get a local shop in Airdrie to pull it back forward and get the two hangers back into the rubber grommits which hold it up so I can at least drive around, but I'm pretty sure the white "flex tube" that comes down from the manifold before the cat has a torn hole in it as I can clearly smell exhaust fumes and it sounds different.

I called the VW dealership last week, and a new testpipe/cat section (it's one piece) is $1200.. not something I can exactly afford right now, not to mention they have none in stock in North America.

My next option was just getting a new flex pipe installed at minute muffler at the cost of $250-ish... However I was just browsing concept1's website and saw the OBX header for MK5 2.5L (I assume this would work on the MK6 as well) for $389...

So my question to you guys... Is it a no brainer to go the extra step from replacing the flex pipe to getting a header w/o cat, for the difference of $130ish?

http://store.concept1.ca/store/produ....5L-5cylinder/

Re: Is this a no brainer?

When my APR CAT went I changed it out for a larger diameter, CAT free, downpipe from 034… it was a nice upgrade - happy I did it.

I don't know if MK5 parts will fit on your MK6 but just call your preferred shop and they'll help you out. Much better option than a generic muffler shop or OEM in my opinion.

BTW… there are a couple members here that can help you out with OEM parts for a much better price than the guys you got your quote from
    Work - houzz / linkedin
    Play - haldex swap

Comment

Re: Is this a no brainer?

Well the guys at C1 couldn't really say one way or the other if the MK5 Header would work.. And I spoke with both the Parts department and Service department...

That being said, purchase cost plus 4-5 hours of labor, Im looking at $900ish for a header... I think a replacement flex tube is the option to go right now. I dunno. :S

Comment

Working...
      X