Were to get a frame notch done?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Were to get a frame notch done?

One of you is looking at it at a MK4 point of view, the other with a brand new mk6 gti point of view, both opions are right for each situation.
    Last edited by 96vwVR6; 05-09-2013, 10:26 AM.
    Current:
    2017 VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion DSG
    2013 VW Jetta 2.5
    Past:
    2005 VW JTI 1.8T
    1993 VW Jetta 2.0
    1996 VW GTI VR6

1991 Ford F150 4X4
    1989 Nissan Kingcab 2WD
    1983 Buick Skylark

Comment

Originally posted by 96vwVR6 View Post
      One of you is looking at it at a MK4 point of view, the other with a brand new mk6 gti point of view, both opions are right for each situation.
      Exactly! Thats why both of you need to meet in the middle and look at it from a MK5 point of view. That way everybody will win
      Patryk
      Instagram: @parkus08

91 BMW 340is ///M-Tech II - Under construction
      08 VW .:R32
      04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

Originally posted by 96vwVR6 View Post
        Lol. I was commenting in a mk4 perspective because Danny was the one bumping it looking for a mk4 to be notched. Didn't even see Jim's post about the mk6, and i saw that the other guys mk6 was already taken care of.

Alright both points are valid for their generation

Comment

I think you need to start thinking of the MK7 point of view

Blair
          Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

^^^this
            Tim
            Golf 1.8T GTI MKIV

Comment

lol

Comment

Sean, thumbup to you for suggesting the hole saw. Worked like a charm! Just make sure, if you use a hole saw, you buy a quality one. I bought a Milwaukee 3.5" from Home Depot and after cutting both notches, all teeth are still intact and sharp as hell. Hole saw + arbor came to ~$55 ish I think. If anyone needs to borrow mine, just ask.
                As for the modifying the driveshaft cups to prevent binding, is there a DIY or more info on that? I'm not exactly sure how that works or how to do it.
                Lastly, did any of you guys on bags notch for tie rods? Martin was telling me that it's unnecessary even when aired out but I was wondering if anyone has done it anyway.
                -Faraaz

Comment

No, I got mandrel bent tie rods instead of notching. Only required cause my rack sits higher up due to the modified subframe.
                  Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
                  2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

My tie rods are hitting, ask my e-level sensor wire how i know

My last jetta the tie rods bent themselves over time, I will either bend these ones or use an air chisel to push in the frame a little bit for extra clearance.
                    As for the axles take the inner flange off where it is binding, there should be heat marks if its binding already and then start shaving away the hardened metal where the axle shaft hits the cups. Easy to do, just make sure you take off enough to make a difference

Comment

this is no mod to car frame and the empi axle ... this is low enugh for me
                      and kids please dont grind your cups on your axles if you want to talk about dangerous ... never had an an empi axle fall apart . just begin to vibrate . and really only on lowered a4s . (only installed about 200 of them)
                      Last edited by turbomeyers; 05-10-2013, 11:01 AM.
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X