ABS keeps activating when braking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ABS keeps activating when braking

My Sensor was fine. It was the wiring from the ABS pump, including the plug to the Sensor that was bad. I ended up replacing all the sensors, the hubs, rings and ABS pump in my case.
    Last edited by witchcraftz; 05-10-2013, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by witchcraftz View Post
      My Sensor was fine. It was the wiring from the ABS pump, including the plug to the Sensor that was bad. I ended up replacing all the sensors, the hubs, rings and ABS pump and in my case.
      Oh wow, well I only did 1/4 of what you did and I'm getting frustrated lol. My next step is to check the two drivers side sensors.
      On a side note, any way of pulling the hub without separating the bearing? I have an extra abs ring, thought i would change out the other rusted one
      Silver Stoned
      16' Lithium Gray F150( Winter mode)
      03' 24V VR6

Comment

Originally posted by 24vr86 View Post
        Oh wow, well I only did 1/4 of what you did and I'm getting frustrated lol. My next step is to check the two drivers side sensors.
        On a side note, any way of pulling the hub without separating the bearing? I have an extra abs ring, thought i would change out the other rusted one
        Not really, the bearing is press fit, so it pretty much always comes apart.
        Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
        2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

Originally posted by BaggedGLI View Post
          Not really, the bearing is press fit, so it pretty much always comes apart.
          Good to know, wasnt sure if there was a way of saving it. I think once I got lucky on my old mk4, and it came out one piece.
          Silver Stoned
          03' 24V VR6

Comment

Yeah, once the bearing is seated any pulling will make it come apart.

The ABS ring and bearing are the same price as a whole hub, I decided to buy entire hubs, it made the job a lot easier. I rented/bought the tools from Canadian Tire.

Comment

Yeah, once the bearing is seated any pulling will make it come apart.

The ABS ring and bearing are the same price as a whole hub, I decided to buy entire hubs, it made the job a lot easier. I rented/bought the tools from Canadian Tire.
              Yeah I just bought the hub and all the tools, and did the one myself.
              I also checked all the sensors today and they all seemed fine! I want to say it's a wiring issue like you mentioned. Any way to confirm this? I noticed on the driver side there is a cable splitting off the abs sensor line (esp?) and line going into the caliper. The clips were busted but I don't think it's affecting the seating .
              Silver Stoned
              03' 24V VR6

Comment

The wiring is kinda tricky to diagnose, basically from what I've understood, bad wiring will cause the signal to drop once every so many microseconds, the vagcom will often not notice this until things gets worse but the ABS pump will notice it and start to activate. I assume you should be able to diagnose it with a multimeter.

Comment

So it was wiring? The tone ring would have been my first suspicion

Comment

The wiring is kinda tricky to diagnose, basically from what I've understood, bad wiring will cause the signal to drop once every so many microseconds, the vagcom will often not notice this until things gets worse but the ABS pump will notice it and start to activate. I assume you should be able to diagnose it with a multimeter.
                    I see, I had no time yesterday between work and family dinners to do anything, maybe this week I will go to my donor mk4 and pull the wiring and swap them. Is it hard to do? or anything I should watch out for?
                    Silver Stoned
                    03' 24V VR6

Comment

I have a brand new RH side harness on hand (without brake sensor) $160
                      Now offering detailing services!! http://www.gtrauto.ca/detailing-services.html

United Motorsport, Kerma TDI, KW, APR, COBB, Magnaflow, K&N, AFE, Motul, Lubromoly, Sonax, Air Lift, HPA, Ohlins, Klutch Wheels, Remus Exhaust

info@gtrauto.ca / www.gtrauto.ca / GTR Auto Facebook

Comment

Thanks natty, I will keep that in mind.
                        Silver Stoned
                        03' 24V VR6

Comment

Working...
                        X