Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Golf R line sportwagon

Chris

I know you see a side that 98% of those on this board do not, which makes you opinion also different from the rest.

In terms of the repairs, everything in the CR TDi's were all new to NA and NA's fuel issues. The CR's were introduced after sulphur was removed from the fuel, and were held back until all the high sulphur fuel was out of the system. The CR's were in Europe before they were released, but the fuel over there is different then what we have here. I blame our crappy fuel on every issue you mentioned in your big post. VW should have better field tested, but considering diesel changes from refinery to refinery its nearly impossible to go through them all.

In terms of the gas vs diesel, I find that all the great gas numbers are from those drivers that drive like a grandpa. Where as the diesel drivers typically drive the cars hard, and still get the numbers you mentioned. When ever you see a sticker of MPG on a gas car do you really believe that's what you are going to get? When you see that same MPG sticker on a diesel VW you normally get what it says plus more. I have a heavily modified ALH and drive the car fairly aggressively and still am able to get 900-950 km's on a 50-55l tank. (MK4's can actually hold 61L when you vent)

In terms of a Hemi getting 30 mpg in a ram is a dream, most get low 20's going easy, and many say the mid teens. All the high MPG's that you see are for the 3.6L and are the smallest trucks (reg cab, short box) with 2wd and the lowest diff you can get(IE little to no towing capability). Almost nobody orders this combination, but it looks good for the numbers.

I love my diesels, but they are not for everyone and yes I tell lots of people to get gas cars/trucks. I know that VW has a new engine that they are using for the TDi's either now, or really soon and only time will tell if they have fixed their issues. Prices for things like glow plugs will come down once Worldpac starts carrying them as well.

My 2 cents at least, sorry for the long post.
    Ben
    2016 Ram 3500 Laramie
    2000 Jetta TDi, Dead and removing parts
    2005 Passat Wagon TDi, 310,000 km's and counting, BSM delete done....Trans died going to replace
    Her's
    2016 Toyota Highlander XLE Pearl White

Comment

Originally posted by turbomeyers View Post
      Vomit on the tdi part
      um....the new passat tdi's get over 2000kms/tank....some even 2500kms/tank on the highway....btw....Yes the ALH is awesome.
      2001 Jetta TDI GL Silver
      Malone Tune stage 5+ ,VNT17-22Turbo, OMI, PP Race Pipe, PD 150 Intake, 2 1/2" Straight back exhaust, no mufflers, 2 1/2" downpipe straight no Cat, Race 520 Injectors, 11mm Fuel Pump, Lift Pump, EGR Delete mod,DC Stage IV Clutch, Michelin X-Ice 2's, 26 lb/s of boost alll day long, Smoking like a train!

Comment

Originally posted by P Arkus View Post
        use proper punctuation/paragraphs. That was some great info in there, but my God was that ever difficult to read hahaha.
        Tint sucks

Comment

Originally posted by turbomeyers View Post
          This will ending up jacking the thread im sure , but here it goes ,,,, the tdi was a great engine . WAS!!!! but as consumers we demanded more power and less noise problem one . also as tighter regulations were introduced on emissions things again needed to be changed . also the fuel itself has gone through a series of clean up efforts reducing the harmful stuff to the environment. so to get the efficiency of the tdi up for more power and emissions down the tolerances in the pressure system were changed they went to a common rail injection system and then the natural lubricating properties of diesel have been striped out for more emission reasons . so we have a engine demanding better lubrication and in turn we supply it with dryer less lubricating fuel . then after that we added more technology to the exhaust systems to clean up the burnt fuel . so we introduce the dpf or diesel particulate filter . now i like that we have attempted to clean up the air and would never help in the removal of these systems . but the system in the Tuareg tdi is superior with the urea injection (accept the freezing at -20 and colder ) but they retain the common rail system and therein lies the problem in all new diesel engines . the pumps have been constantly failing after the warranty is running out on these vehicles and when it does . it destroys the injectors . and because its a diesel the injectors are huge monies . the bill from a dealer for when a 2009 and newer car fails is over $8000 even from me its around 6k .now VW claimed to have resolved this for the 2010 cars but i have a 2010 in my compound that says they are lying . a quick Google will find that all the common rail cars regardless of manufacturer are having said failures , and not under warranty so the various companies don't have to stand behind the flaw . but at 140000 k ish no one would want a 7k bill to keep their vw going . now lets compare another problem . milage . i have 10 or more owners of the fsi and tfsi cars i have been closely monitoring for items that commonly fail and fuel consumption . in areas like yong males beating their cars to older guys that hyper millage. in a tdi most owners report around 850 -950 hyway kms on a 50 l tank good i agree. however a mk5 gti can easily achieve 800k on a same size tank . fast forward to say a 2013 passat and the tdi gets 1000-1100 k on a tank that the gas car gets 900-1000 on . and then factor in things that commonly fail on either . and you are left with say a glow plug for a diesel in a 80,000 time frame at $141.(if your lucky only one) vs spark plugs at say 19.50 x4 and a coil pack for what ever reason ,$56 (prices are retail i know we can do cheaper ) air filters and a fuel filter are all about the same between models , now a high pressure pump in a fsi can and i have seen a few fail . retail is around $450 for these and 200 in labor to install . , and no residual failures when they fail . vs 6-8 k for when the tdi fails .the reasons go on and on . and then you get these people that say i had no problems with my 09 tdi ever . well they sold the car to get a new one before warranty had gone to far out and without realizing it passed on a giant financial burden to the next owner . so yes the new diesels are torque but hello have you driven a gti dsg OMG that's fun and
          reliable .I can fix any car but the fact that every person in my family either drives a 1.8 or 2.0 fsi or tsi should tell you all that i would never personally own a tdi . and its not the idea of diesels i love and still highly recommend alh tdi cars . they dominate in the cheap to run class of cars . and will be around forever . If you doubt me just hang out at the lot of a vw dealership . see if any of the staff drive the tdis .... (09 and up lol) if they do it wont be for long here google this hpfp tdi failure see what pops up . i have personally had 4 customers this month trade in there cars for gli gti and passat cc cars . and all of them over the moon happy with the fuel economy and power .
          Cliffs:
          ALH for life.

Supplemental Cliffs:
          1400kms on my vented tank with Van Aaken Box (and a speeding ticket).
          Did I say ALH for life?

Comment

Well some good opinions but I would imagine this car will come with both gas and diesel options, R-Line is really just a trim level so should have a variety of engines, this is just the selected one for the debut in Europe, where diesels are just a little popular
            Blair
            Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

The article I linked to is from Europe . They are having the same issues we are . The Passat does not!!!!!! get 2000 km per tank . people are lucky to get 1100 .But that's not my point .My point is that the gasoline cars are catching up in mileage , and have leapfrogged ahead in reliability. Trust me people the new diesels are the beginning of the end of diesels as a commuter transportation . I am not a fanboy of gas , as I will always recommend the ALH engine is is and will always be the best engine ever built . but unless you have the opinion of some shady people and enjoy passing on a shitty vehicle to an unsuspecting person buying your soon to be off warranty car . Or plan on keeping your investment after warranty is over . The diesel is not the thing to spend your HARD earned money on . new or used
              sigpic

Comment

Gas has always been able to get good mileage, it just depends how you drive your car. Believe it or not I have personally got 850km on a tank in my 03 20th gti driving back from Spokane on 1 tank of fuel. So I would hope the direct injection 2.0t could do the same or better. That was at 110km/h. As soon as I start driving in town it drops to 550 driving similarly grandpaish. If you drive spiritedly, the mileage from the gas won't touch the diesel, as said earlier.
                That being said, I would also stay away from the new tdi's right now until they have the fuel pump issue figured out. I'll continue driving my alh as well.
                Last edited by idlandk; 03-08-2013, 12:03 PM.
                2002 Jetta TDI
                2003 Jazz Blue GTI
                1981 Rabbit Truck Diesel

Comment

The 2012 Passat has the potential to get over 2000kms per tank. This couple got way more than 2000 out of it. Just saying.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/...swagen-passat/
                  2001 Jetta TDI GL Silver
                  Malone Tune stage 5+ ,VNT17-22Turbo, OMI, PP Race Pipe, PD 150 Intake, 2 1/2" Straight back exhaust, no mufflers, 2 1/2" downpipe straight no Cat, Race 520 Injectors, 11mm Fuel Pump, Lift Pump, EGR Delete mod,DC Stage IV Clutch, Michelin X-Ice 2's, 26 lb/s of boost alll day long, Smoking like a train!

Comment

Just give us the R36!
                    Current Fleet
                    #ProjectICreate Jetta GLI32
                    2001 Cobra #88/3786
                    1989 Jetta Trophy 1 of 500
                    2004 Audi A2 FSI Colour Storm RHD
                    2015 B8.5 S4 Sepang/Technik/6MT/SD/AAD/CF

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

Working...