• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Poor PD :(

Originally posted by Vulcan View Post
    What was the mileage on that engine?
    pretty sure under 200,000km
    Now offering detailing services!! http://www.gtrauto.ca/detailing-services.html

United Motorsport, Kerma TDI, KW, APR, COBB, Magnaflow, K&N, AFE, Motul, Lubromoly, Sonax, Air Lift, HPA, Ohlins, Klutch Wheels, Remus Exhaust

info@gtrauto.ca / www.gtrauto.ca / GTR Auto Facebook

Comment

Feel free to chime in here Natty, CGDoig, or any others that know a bit about the PD engines...but if the improper weight of oil is used in them, cam failure is pretty much imminent...VW recommends 505.01, I can't remember the oil Cam uses, but it is as good or exceeds the 505.01 weight. The PD engine cams power the direct injection for the car, and if the oil is too light, the cam wears extremely fast, mines at 207 000kms and the cam is still in great shape...as I've always used the 505.01 oil.
      Hers 2009 Audi A4 6sp manual
      Mine....2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, colour matched Huffs. Frostheater

Comment

Even using the incorrect oil once can be detrimental to the PD cam. Although we all know that, the average driver might try to save some bucks and cause that catastrophe.

Comment

Vw's original oil spec for 505.1 was 5w40, but decided not to long after the PD release to release and tell the dealers to use the new spec of 506. The touaregs used this spec and vw didn't feel like adding to confusion at the dealers with different oil for different diesel engines. 506 though is 5w30 and many people thought the lighter weight in oil would help with cold weather starts.

Well time has passed and now looking back many regret having switched and are running back to the 5w40 weight for the PD's.

I have a PD again now in the house and will only see 5w40 from here on in. I will look at the cam though when I get to the timing belt and bsm delete done in the next week.
          Ben
          2016 Ram 3500 Laramie
          2000 Jetta TDi, Dead and removing parts
          2005 Passat Wagon TDi, 310,000 km's and counting, BSM delete done....Trans died going to replace
          Her's
          2016 Toyota Highlander XLE Pearl White

Comment

Working...
          X