MK4 jettta engine advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MK4 jettta engine advice

Wouldn't changing your T-stat to a more sensitive/lower temp one help give you a more accurate reading? Mine opens rather early and keeps my temps down and I see my gauge changing all the time, especially during city driving, but still during highway pending if I'm drafting someone or leading the way.
    2001 Jetta TDI GL Silver
    Malone Tune stage 5+ ,VNT17-22Turbo, OMI, PP Race Pipe, PD 150 Intake, 2 1/2" Straight back exhaust, no mufflers, 2 1/2" downpipe straight no Cat, Race 520 Injectors, 11mm Fuel Pump, Lift Pump, EGR Delete mod,DC Stage IV Clutch, Michelin X-Ice 2's, 26 lb/s of boost alll day long, Smoking like a train!

Comment

How would changing your t-stat affect the signals being transmitted analogly via your temperature sensor, then buffered through the ECU and output'd to the instrument cluster? I would be rather intrigued if your method somehow worked....
      That being said why in the world are you using a lower temp t-stat in a TDI? I thought they already had a ridiculous problem keeping heat in in the winter months, having the t-stat open earlier will just allow the whole system to cool faster and you won't even reach operating temp if its cold outside. Your t-stat is designed in your cooling system to maintain a certain temperature, not to fluctuate the temperature a great deal depending on driving conditions, i would personally re-evaluate and see if that really is the right move for you.

Comment

not trying to be a dick, but the teacher has spoken.
        you probably don't like me because someone else said they didn't lol. <3

Comment

Originally posted by MechEngg View Post
          How would changing your t-stat affect the signals being transmitted analogly via your temperature sensor, then buffered through the ECU and output'd to the instrument cluster? I would be rather intrigued if your method somehow worked....
          That being said why in the world are you using a lower temp t-stat in a TDI? I thought they already had a ridiculous problem keeping heat in in the winter months, having the t-stat open earlier will just allow the whole system to cool faster and you won't even reach operating temp if its cold outside. Your t-stat is designed in your cooling system to maintain a certain temperature, not to fluctuate the temperature a great deal depending on driving conditions, i would personally re-evaluate and see if that really is the right move for you.
          I'm not sure about the gauge, but there a few guys with heavily modded TDI's that run cooler t-stats during the summer...then switch to hotter ones for the winter.
          Hers 2009 Audi A4 6sp manual
          Mine....2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, colour matched Huffs. Frostheater

Comment

Remember....not everyone drives a stock TDI...These guys usually don't have issues keeping the car warm in the winter because they have a front mount in front of the rad, and usually drive harder to compensate. The t-stat is designed to open when the it senses that the car is getting to hot, allowing coolant to cycle through the rad. What difference does it make if its opening and closing often or just staying open most the time? My wifes golf has an OEM one in it and it just stays open as soon as it hits operating temperatures. Which is fine, because its stock and I could care less. Mine on the other hand is not stock, so I like the option for it to fluctuate.
            2001 Jetta TDI GL Silver
            Malone Tune stage 5+ ,VNT17-22Turbo, OMI, PP Race Pipe, PD 150 Intake, 2 1/2" Straight back exhaust, no mufflers, 2 1/2" downpipe straight no Cat, Race 520 Injectors, 11mm Fuel Pump, Lift Pump, EGR Delete mod,DC Stage IV Clutch, Michelin X-Ice 2's, 26 lb/s of boost alll day long, Smoking like a train!

Comment

Originally posted by dJ View Post
              Remember....not everyone drives a stock TDI...These guys usually don't have issues keeping the car warm in the winter because they have a front mount in front of the rad, and usually drive harder to compensate. The t-stat is designed to open when the it senses that the car is getting to hot, allowing coolant to cycle through the rad. What difference does it make if its opening and closing often or just staying open most the time? My wifes golf has an OEM one in it and it just stays open as soon as it hits operating temperatures. Which is fine, because its stock and I could care less. Mine on the other hand is not stock, so I like the option for it to fluctuate.
              1 - Why does your situations always involve conditions only suited to extremely modified TDI's?
              2 - You provided zero answer to my question about how a lower opening t-stat would help to affect the accuracy of the CTS being read by the ECU like you had initially proposed.

Comment

1 - Why does your situations always involve conditions only suited to extremely modified TDI's?
                2 - You provided zero answer to my question about how a lower opening t-stat would help to affect the accuracy of the CTS being read by the ECU like you had initially proposed.
                Changing the T-stat on a stock tdi could come out with the same outcome as my modified car. You don't have to be driving a modified TDI to run this t-stat. If the lower opening t-stat was used, it would just show you how the temps of the coolant change more frequently. Maybe that isn't what you were looking for? If its not, I'm sorry I wasted your valuable time.
                2001 Jetta TDI GL Silver

Comment

hey guys, so i replaced the fan and it runs good now. only problem is the A/C doesn't work anymore. it just blows normal air. guess its shot. what is the typical cost to recharge the system?
                  Ken

2012 VW JETTA TDI
                  2000 VW JETTA 2.0 - Old ride

Comment

Working...
                  X