Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Floor Pan Swap - haldex to come...

DAY FOURTY

Day off... gettn' work done - at work...

DAY FOURTY ONE

Got the back piece of the TT pan welded in and prepped the GLI piece that will fill the gap. Guess I could probably drive like this if I need too - that gap is nothing a piece of cardboard and some duct tape wouldn't take care of...

Last edited by All_Euro; 07-10-2017, 08:51 PM.
    Work - houzz / linkedin
    Play - haldex swap

Comment

You do realize that you're already a champion getting this far. Just saying! Especially working outside, in the wet snow and the cold. Do you have a couple of buddies to help you out along the way or is all of this monstrosity done by yourself? Do you have a name for the Jetta yet?
      sigpic
      Instagram: @ed_kisov

BMW 435i xDrive ///M Performance
      ex MK6 Golf R RB
      ex MK6 GTI CSG
      ex MK4 Jetta 1.8T
      ex MK3 Jetta CL

Comment

DAY FOURTY TWO

The profiles of the two pans don't match that well so I've been grinding relief cuts into ridges that need to come down and tacking things together while I hold them in place. The panel is secured nicely though so with some more filling and grinding tomorrow the wheel well area should be done and I can get busy on the last couple gaps along the sides of the trunk - I'll see if I can get a decent shot of those tomorrow...

Last edited by All_Euro; 07-10-2017, 08:54 PM.
        Work - houzz / linkedin
        Play - haldex swap

Comment

Originally posted by mrvwguy View Post
          You do realize that you're already a champion getting this far. Just saying! Especially working outside, in the wet snow and the cold. Do you have a couple of buddies to help you out along the way or is all of this monstrosity done by yourself? Do you have a name for the Jetta yet?
          Haha - thanks. I've really just lucked out with the weather. It's been pretty warm and for the couple weeks it was cold I just stayed inside

The city bylaw allows noise until 10:00 but I've been shutting down around 6:00 or 7:00 each night because grinding metal is loud and my neighbours have kids... so I only get a couple hours in a night in and just work at it myself.

No name for my "people's car" but I can't wait to be driving it again!
          Work - houzz / linkedin
          Play - haldex swap

Comment

DAY FOURTY THREE

Not the most inspiring start to the day but still pretty tame for December...

Got the far panel with the lip on the top in - just need one vertical panel on the other side of the lip that joins to the bottom of the fender...

Last edited by All_Euro; 07-10-2017, 09:04 PM.
            Work - houzz / linkedin
            Play - haldex swap

Comment

DAY FOURTY FOUR

Had a lazy day today but did get the top middle panel tacked into place and ready for some more welding and then smoothing. This side just needs the vertical panel, by the vents, that joins to the bottom of the fender as well...

Last edited by All_Euro; 07-10-2017, 09:07 PM.
              Work - houzz / linkedin
              Play - haldex swap

Comment

Just wondering, when all is said and done, are you planning on spraying some rubberized undercoating on the in and outside of the pan?
                car go brum

Comment

Originally posted by 145117 View Post
                  Just wondering, when all is said and done, are you planning on spraying some rubberized undercoating on the in and outside of the pan?
                  I have brush-on seam sealer for the underside which will be applied asap. The inside of the trunk will get partially primed until next summer when the weather is warm enough that I can properly clean everything up. I wish I could just do everything now but I'm running out of warm enough weather pretty quickly...
                  Work - houzz / linkedin
                  Play - haldex swap

Comment

DAY FOURTY FIVE

My pile of TT body parts came in handy again - cut the two side panels that fit in-between the floor pan and lower inner fender. Only trimmed and welded one into place but here is the test fit from the top...

Bottom view...

Tacked into place...

Last edited by All_Euro; 07-10-2017, 09:13 PM.
                    Work - houzz / linkedin
                    Play - haldex swap

Comment

DAYS FOURTY SIX - FIFTY

Been chipping away as I have time and have been focusing on the back seat area - I had just tacked things in place so now I'm kind of working front to back. Filling lots of spot-weld holes, etc... very time consuming.

Today I got the drivers side wheel well partially trimmed and welded to the TT pan. At the back of the wheel well you can see a piece, that's attached to the TT frame rail, is sitting forward of the original well shape - not sure what to think of that yet but it may need to be massaged...

Last edited by All_Euro; 07-10-2017, 09:16 PM.
                      Work - houzz / linkedin
                      Play - haldex swap

Comment

Keep up the progress - we've had nice few days for mid/end december. Better messing around outside with the car than being indoor at the malls
                        sigpic
                        Instagram: @ed_kisov

BMW 435i xDrive ///M Performance
                        ex MK6 Golf R RB
                        ex MK6 GTI CSG
                        ex MK4 Jetta 1.8T
                        ex MK3 Jetta CL

Comment

Thanks - things are still moving... although slowly. The passenger fender area is at about the same place as the driver's side and I've been cleaning and welding and cleaning and cleaning the major seams under the back seat area. I didn't clean up all the joints between the new pan and my car very well before the pan went in (too excited to install it I guess) so I'm stuck doing things the hard way... but there's only about 20% of the welding left which includes reshaping the inner fenders. This time off work should help though
                          Work - houzz / linkedin
                          Play - haldex swap

Comment

DAYS FIFTY ONE - FIFTY NINE

The buffing wheel wandered off course and got acquainted with the loom by my back passenger door - Oops...

Dustin came by to help watch for an afternoon - put him to work welding seams...

I was out yesterday trying to get some final seam welding done before priming and sealing (when it warms up) but it was too cold - the thicker metal would puddle up with a little persuasion but by then the thin pieces that were getting joined to it were too hot and wanted to self-ventilate. So I tacked a few areas, did a little smoothing and called it a day - it's supposed to warm up this afternoon, though, so I'll be back at it in a few hours...
                            Last edited by All_Euro; 07-10-2017, 09:22 PM.
                            Work - houzz / linkedin
                            Play - haldex swap

Comment

Damn, crazy build. I wanna see this thing in person when It's up and running!
                              2015 Audi RS7, Sepang Blue, Carbon Optic Package, Performance Package, Driver Assistant Plus Package, Black Alcantara Headliner
                              2015 Audi A3, Glut Orange, 2.0 TFSI Technik, S Line Package - Wife's
                              2006 Audi S4, Sprint Blue Pearl, 6 Speed Manual Transmission, Navigation - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by Joker View Post
                                Damn, crazy build. I wanna see this thing in person when It's up and running!
                                Hey, no prob. The first milestone is just to get back on the road and then, later, I'll set a weekend aside to swap over the transmission and measure how much too short this TT driveshaft is... so there's still quite a bit to do but hopefully I'm back on the road soon!
                                Work - houzz / linkedin
                                Play - haldex swap

Comment

Working...
                                X