No announcement yet.

Floor Pan Swap - haldex to come...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Floor Pan Swap - haldex to come...

Monty you animal!!!
    Sorry I have been out of the country for a while and I didn't think you had started this project yet. I thought you were waiting for spring?
    Not just a beast at crossfit!! haha, but you took this project by the horns. Great work!!
    I will be back in the city soon, hopefully we can link up.
    Cheers.
    Silver Stoned
    16' Lithium Gray F150( Winter mode)
    03' 24V VR6

Comment

DAYS SEVENTY - SEVENTY ONE

Knowing what I know now, I think I'd just split the GLI filler neck off the tank and have it welded on to the TT tank after it's neck had been removed. In this shot you can see the sandwich effect where the neck and tank join and then just inside is a plastic guide/fuel hose that feeds the tank. Hindsight hey...

The latest adhesive I bought is strong stuff for sure but still doesn't melt into the plastic at all - just adheres to the imperfections. It is strong though, so once the joints were nice and solid, and after some helpful advice from Bob, I sanded the filler neck down and reinforced the joints with FiberFix - I'll double check it in the morning and might add another layer. I do want to keep some flexibility in the neck so that any twisting from the chassis doesn't work the joints loose. Also got the vent connections beside the gas-cap squared away...

Last edited by All_Euro; 07-13-2017, 08:33 PM.
      Work - houzz / linkedin
      Play - haldex swap

Comment

Originally posted by 24vr86 View Post
        Monty you animal!!!
        Sorry I have been out of the country for a while and I didn't think you had started this project yet. I thought you were waiting for spring?
        Not just a beast at crossfit!! haha, but you took this project by the horns. Great work!!
        I will be back in the city soon, hopefully we can link up.
        Cheers.
        Hey bud - thanks, and good to hear from you. Well... yes, I was definitely going to wait for spring... but here I am somehow

Thankfully this bull has been cooperating for the most part. Hopefully I'll be done by the time you're back and we'll catch up!
        Work - houzz / linkedin
        Play - haldex swap

Comment

DAYS SEVENTY TWO - SEVENTY EIGHT

Nothing really happened last week, as I was too busy with work, but I did get a little done this weekend. Finished the exterior welding and sealing touch ups - there's some left inside but I'll do that after I get rolling again. Since the inside of the floor pan is just primed, I was able to warm up the panels pretty good to help the sealant dry too...

I ended up wrapping the filler neck ,with more FiberFix, from the base of the neck/tank all the way up to the upper connection as there was still a good amount of flexibility in the neck. While the tank was out I wiped the inside out really well so it's nice and clean going back in. It's in place and hooked up - just need one replacement bolt I seem to have misplaced...

Last edited by All_Euro; 07-13-2017, 08:41 PM.
          Work - houzz / linkedin
          Play - haldex swap

Comment

Solid work, you have an ETA in mind? things are starting to wrap up!
            Jason

"You dont buy a Volkswagen once, you buy it ten times."
            ---Samuel Moore

Instagram: @Wangtastic
            PM me to get your car detailed! - Brightside Detailing

Comment

Monty you're one crazy mama jama!
              GT3071R and more...

Comment

DAY SEVENTY NINE

Another late one at the office but I skipped dinner when I got home and pulled the rear-end out of the basement for a test fit. Fit like a glove - no clearance issues with the filler neck. I do need to secure the gas-cap area of the neck but it's on the to-do list...

I could tell I was a little excited to bolt his baby in as I kept hitting my head on pretty much every sharp metal edge under the car - good thing I had my safety toque on...

Last edited by All_Euro; 07-13-2017, 08:47 PM.
                Work - houzz / linkedin
                Play - haldex swap

Comment

Originally posted by TheJungle View Post
                  Solid work, you have an ETA in mind? things are starting to wrap up!
                  Thanks - yes, things are finally coming together... who knows what surprises I'll run into but I'm pushing to be back on the road by the end of the month!

Originally posted by sabbySC View Post
                  Monty you're one crazy mama jama!
                  Haha, well I've been called much worse so I'll take that as a compliment Seb
                  Work - houzz / linkedin
                  Play - haldex swap

Comment

Looking good weather wise for at least another week too...loving the updates and the progress!!!!
                    Hers 2009 Audi A4 6sp manual
                    Mine....2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, colour matched Huffs. Frostheater

Comment

Progress is looking good!

Comment

DAY EIGHTY

Fit a few more things under the trunk - just finger tight for now as I want to put some new grease in the inner CV joints and haldex fluid in the diff. Would have loved to clean and paint all the rusty bits before they went in but that'll have to be fun for another day...

Last edited by All_Euro; 07-13-2017, 08:49 PM.
                        Work - houzz / linkedin
                        Play - haldex swap

Comment

Originally posted by Geobmx4life View Post
                          Looking good weather wise for at least another week too...loving the updates and the progress!!!!
                          Thanks - ya, I can't believe how the weather has been holding up. I've lost a month or so to the cold and work but, for this time of year, I couldn't ask for more.

Originally posted by RobG View Post
                          Progress is looking good!
                          Thanks Rob - this is definitely the most exciting part of the swap so far. Once I've been on the road for a bit, and everything seems solid, I'll pick a "warm" weekend and swap in the TT transmission.
                          Work - houzz / linkedin
                          Play - haldex swap

Comment

Wow this just doesn't stop.

Awesome man, just awesome.
                            2007 A3 3.2vr | S-line | Quattro | Brilliant Black Sold
                            2020 Glacier White A4 Allroad
                            2013 Allroad Scuba Blue

Comment

faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaantastic.

cant wait to see it!!
                              car go brum

Comment

Thanks guys - finally getting close hey.

Lots of little things need to be crossed off the list still but ,now that the gas tank is in, the next major thing to do is fix the brake lines. I was pretty careless with them when I pulled the back end apart so I have to splice in a new section for the rear driver's side. I'll be back at it tomorrow... I think...

ps - can't stop mang... this is my daily
                                Work - houzz / linkedin
                                Play - haldex swap

Comment

Working...
                                X