X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: VW in trouble

HUGE 110+ pages in 3 days thread on TDICLUB link below
    http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=448053
    Last edited by Geobmx4life; 09-21-2015, 06:02 PM.
    Hers 2009 Audi A4 6sp manual
    Mine....2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, colour matched Huffs. Frostheater

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall View Post
      They are in huge hot water over this one. As current owners (myself included) just saw a huge lose in resale value. In one article I read in some states you may not even be able to sell it used right now as it is not a certifiable vehicle.
      Maybe they will have to consider a buy-back option if the repair is too costly. Personally, if the fix results in lower performance or fuel economy, I'll feel taken advantage of. I'm predicting a class action suit in the future by owners.
      Jeff

2017 Sportwagen
      2016 .:R (sold)
      2013 Golf TDI Wolfsburg (sold)
      2001.5 Audi S4 (sold)

Comment

I agree the chance of a class action lawsuit is strong with this and it will hurt their image in NA quite a bit and we really need to see how aggressive the EPA will be on the fine (18 billion was maximum). This is far from over...
        Blair
        Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Volkswagen says the "defeat device" has been installed on approximately 11 million cars from all over the world.

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) in United States discovered around 482,000 cars featuring the "defeat device" designed to cheat during emissions testing, but it seems the total number of cars is much higher as VW has admitted that it's found on around 11 million cars equipped with the Type EA 189 turbodiesel engine. VAG says the "engine management software" has not been installed on their EU 6 diesel engines currently available in the European Union.

In order to fix all of the affected cars (and "win back the trust of our customers"), Volkswagen is allocating about €6.5 billion and since the investigation is still ongoing, the amount is not final as the number of cars equipped with the defeat device could be even higher. That being said, VAG mentions in a press release that for most of the cars in question this software does not have any effect.

It will be interesting how this announcement will affect VW's shares taking into account that just yesterday their value went down by more than 20%, representing a market value decrease for the company of €15.6 billion.
          Blair
          Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Great info Blair! It sounds like a simple software update/flash will correct the shady issue, but will affect the life of the DPF, power and fuel economy...I'll be keeping my eyes wide open for decreased resale value....a 6sp Mt sportwagon could be a cheap pick up next year.
            Mine....2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, colour matched Huffs. Frostheater

Comment

Hate the timing. Was even thinking about selling my Diesel a month to get a SUV or Van before this hit. Still am but this definitely doesn't help.
              Ken

2012 VW JETTA TDI
              2000 VW JETTA 2.0 - Old ride

Comment

Originally posted by Geobmx4life View Post
                ....a 6sp Mt sportwagon could be a cheap pick up next year.
                That's what I just bought. There are a couple class action suits already started. I wouldn't mind some cash back from the loss in resale but right now I think the whole thing is blown out of proportion. It is not like they designed faulty tires that killed people, or faulty ignition switches that killed people or fault acceleration pedals that killed people...
                Name: Brent
                His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
                Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
                Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

I agree Brent, but its human nature to expect the worst...it'll be interesting to see how it all unfolds, and how VW recovers...personally I hope for the best....but prepare for the worst...
                  Last edited by Geobmx4life; 09-22-2015, 10:44 PM.

Comment

It is pretty interesting how this is being viewed, although the deception is interesting and really I am curious for the reasoning behind this.

Anyways the latest is the EPA is now investigating the 3.0 V6 TDI, VW is having an emergency board meeting this afternoon and European governments are now asking all European brands to prove they are not involved in a similar scandal so time will tell if anyone else was up to the same...
                    Blair

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall View Post
                      That's what I just bought. There are a couple class action suits already started. I wouldn't mind some cash back from the loss in resale but right now I think the whole thing is blown out of proportion. It is not like they designed faulty tires that killed people, or faulty ignition switches that killed people or fault acceleration pedals that killed people...
                      It's the loss in value, or perceived value, which will really upset me. I'm keeping an eye on the class action suits, but am going to wait and see how VW responds first. If there isn't a fair and reasoned response which restores brand confidence and the "fair" market value of my car along with it, I'll be looking for some form of compensation.

Really, I just need to stop buying cars. Got my B5 S4 a few months before the import rules were relaxed and lost about $10k in value when our market got flooded by US cars. Now this. I don't expect to make money in cars, but normal depreciation would be a treat every once in a while.
                      Jeff

2017 Sportwagen
                      2016 .:R (sold)
                      2013 Golf TDI Wolfsburg (sold)
                      2001.5 Audi S4 (sold)

Comment

I am not sure if anybody remembers the Mazda power claims for the release of the RX-8 back in the early 2000's. It was as simple as they claimed 247hp and the actual numbers were 238. The power dropped after a last-minute change in engine tuning to meet emission rules. It was just a discrepancy between how Japanese manufacturers tested HP for Japan sales (allowed open exhaust and higher octane). Mazda had to start a buyback program for lower mileage, provide free maintenance for four years and some other financial compensation programs. That was all for claiming messily 9 extra HP.

Aside from the emissions, I wonder what the actual performance hit the VWs will take once the delete is removed or to meet standards. Bet it is going to be more than 9 HP.

I guess what VW did is small compared to MERC ( through alot of 2000`s) knowingly using poor quality recycled steel in cars that will riddled with tin worms withing months of the warranty expiring. Or BMW selling vehicles that they themselves have budgeted 10-30k in expected repairs over 3-4 years.

Comment

Law firm in Edmonton looking for $1 billion in damages.

Get your free money, come get your free money. I hate that people are more concerned about the free money and not about potentially running the manufacturer of the car they love into financial hardship.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2015/09/22...ss-action-suit
                          Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
                          2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

The CEO has stepped down for real now.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/business/volks...down-1.2576678

Comment

While I love the brand, this is a serious issue for lots of people. People who bought these cars were lied to, the governments were lied to and that will cost them money and their reputation worldwide. Stupid and sad, but I do not feel sorry them. They were the #1 car manufacturer in the world and this cheat helped them get there. Other car manufacturers have done worse for sure, but VW does have to payout because they misrepresented their product knowingly.

They will survive. Interesting to see if any other companies did the same thing.
                              Last edited by Ur0Drivr; 09-23-2015, 09:29 AM.
                              --
                              Rod
                              Ex-presidente

Drive

2016 VW Golf .:R

Drove
                              2001.5 Audi S4 / Santorin Blue STAGE II+ / JFonz Tuned

Comment

I feel bad for those in TDIs. I would be choked if they threw an ECU tune on my car that retarded the mileage or power. While you could just get a tune from Malone or something you don't really expect to have to do that after you buy the vehicle.

Comment

Working...
                                X