Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VW in trouble

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/19/bu...ware.html?_r=1

Wonder how this will affect VW Canada...
    Ken

2012 VW JETTA TDI
    2000 VW JETTA 2.0 - Old ride

Re: VW in trouble

Just stumbled across this news... $18Bn!!!
    ~Stephanie~
    2015 Tornado Red GTI Autobahn Edition
    IG: succubusMK7

Comment

Not as strict emission laws in Canada ... yessss POWAAA
      sigpic
      Instagram: @ed_kisov

BMW 435i xDrive ///M Performance
      ex MK6 Golf R RB
      ex MK6 GTI CSG
      ex MK4 Jetta 1.8T
      ex MK3 Jetta CL

Comment

Originally posted by Spooling_turbos View Post
        Not as strict emission laws in Canada ... yessss POWAAA
        I wonder for how long though...hopefully not for a while.
        Josh

2006 Jetta TDI (DSG)
        decent amount of (little) cosmetic mods
        Colt stage II cam
        PD150 Injectors
        Darkside GTB1749V
        Malone stage 5 (dynamic Idle and EGR delete)
        Malone DSG tune
        H&R coilovers
        Panzer skidplate
        OEM LED Tail lights.
        OEM style projector headlights with e46 (clear lens) projector swap

2008 ford Ranger 5 spd

Comment

What affectvis bringing these vehicles into compliance going to have on power, milieage and cost of ownership?
          GT3071R and more...

Comment

Originally posted by sabbySC View Post
            What affectvis bringing these vehicles into compliance going to have on power, milieage and cost of ownership?
            Probably negative. But maybe a tune will correct the first two problems.
            Last edited by ryukin2000; 09-19-2015, 09:57 AM.
            Ken

2012 VW JETTA TDI

Comment

This is pretty interesting and I am curious to see how hard the EPA will be on them as this could be a very significant fine, and if so I am curious what does the EPA do with such money...
              Blair
              Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

The latest...

Hot on the heels of last weekend's huge scandal, Volkswagen has admitted they have been using software tricks to cheat during the EPA emissions tests.

According to the Environmental Protection Agency, representatives of Volkswagen have recognized they implemented software code developed specifically to manipulate EPA tests regarding emissions, thus breaching the Clean Air Act.

According to Cynthia Giles, assistant administrator for the EPA's Office of Enforcement and Compliance Assurance, "these violations are very serious, not only because illegal defeat devices result in excess emissions many times the allowable standard, but also because VW was concealing the facts from EPA, the State of California and consumers." She went on to express her disappointment by saying "we expected better from VW."

Ironically, the 482,000 cars in question are all equipped with a 2.0-liter engine billed by Volkswagen as being a "Clean Diesel", but EPA says the nitrous oxide emissions in the real world are 10 to 40 times greater than the maximum limit permitted by the law, even though the cars passed the tests with flying colors.

VW is now facing a maximum $37,500 fine for each car which translates to a total of $18 billion, but the investigation is still in progress so the amount has not been established. As a preemptive move, Volkswagen of America has decided to halt sales of all their 2015MY cars equipped with the problematic four-cylinder, 2.0-liter turbodiesel engine.

Amid this massive scandal, Volkswagen CEO Martin Winterkorn issued a public statement: "I personally am deeply sorry that we have broken the trust of our customers and the public." He also said VW has ordered an external investigation and promises the company will do "everything necessary in order to reverse the damage this has caused."

Aside from getting a record fine, Volkswagen also faces a restriction for the 2016MY as EPA will likely block the 2.0 TDI engine by not giving the necessary certification, thus affecting several models including the upcoming Passat facelift.
                Blair
                Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Can't quite figure out what they could have done. Plug in a diagnostic cable and the EGR functions change as a result? Either way, crazy that they did it, and for so long!

This is the sort of thing I could see a company trying in order to get the first few engines of the line before someone else (Ask for forgiveness later, but in the end, it would have made you money.) To do something like this for so long is a huge risk. Not sure what angle to look at this so that it made sense!

This has potential to screw up my 2017 Tiguan TDI plans....
                  Stefan
                  -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
                  -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
                  -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
                  -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

TDI sales halted. :(
                    Stefan
                    -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
                    -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Originally posted by stefan View Post
                      TDI sales halted. :(
                      just checked and the TDI option is no longer on VW.ca!

An uninformed question but does VW own Audi or is it vice versa and will this affect Audi TDI's too?
                      Last edited by ryukin2000; 09-21-2015, 10:44 AM.
                      Ken

2012 VW JETTA TDI

Comment

VW owns Audi and I imagine it will effect any Audi 2.0 TDI as well.

Comment

Yes, it effects several VW Group products. Audi for sure is in there.
                          Stefan
                          -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Read an article that puts the A3 in the same boat as the VW's...
                            --
                            Rod
                            Ex-presidente

Drive

2016 VW Golf .:R

Drove
                            2001.5 Audi S4 / Santorin Blue STAGE II+ / JFonz Tuned

Comment

They are in huge hot water over this one. As current owners (myself included) just saw a huge lose in resale value. In one article I read in some states you may not even be able to sell it used right now as it is not a certifiable vehicle.
                              Name: Brent
                              His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
                              Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
                              Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Working...
                              X