Car randomly shut off while driving?? HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car randomly shut off while driving?? HELP

So i have an alternator whine which can sometimes be very annoying, but only comes on if the stereo is turned on. Anyways, about 5-10 mins after I started driving the whine was getting very loud and wanted to see if tapping the dash would help because that seems to be something that cures VW problemss , and after that the car shut off. Luckily i was at a red light so nothing bad happened. Just wanted to see if anyone would have any knowledge on what the problem may be, Thanks in advance.
    I drive a mk4 1.8t if that gives any more lead?
    '04 GLI

Re: Car randomly shut off while driving?? HELP

I’ve had this happen when my crank position sensor was failing - minus the alternator whine though.

You should scan for codes and test your alternator with a multimeter first. Report back with your findings and then we’ll have something to work with.
    Work - houzz / linkedin
    Play - haldex swap

Comment

Generally when the crank position sensors go, once it stalls it may take a long time to restart. Definitely a possibility though.
      Come see us for Sonax Cleaning Supplies, Parts, ECS Orders and General Maintenance!
      Follow us on Twitter!

Calgary Autoworks
      #7, 1115 - 48th Ave SE
      Calgary, Alberta
      T2G 2A7
      403-243-9661
      Info@CalgaryAutoworks.com

Comment

Thanks for the responses! It happened again this morning 5 mins after driving it after starting it for the first time in the morning. Seems to only happen once right after a cold start and then it runs fine for the rest of the day. I dont have any way of scanning codes so I think ill go and grab a crank position sensor and see if that changes anything.
        '04 GLI

Comment

It's less money to scan for faults than it is to just throw parts at it.
          Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
          2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

Originally posted by connorbel View Post
            Thanks for the responses! It happened again this morning 5 mins after driving it after starting it for the first time in the morning. Seems to only happen once right after a cold start and then it runs fine for the rest of the day. I dont have any way of scanning codes so I think ill go and grab a crank position sensor and see if that changes anything.
            Since this is a cold-start issue, I don’t think it would be the CPS... in my case, starting issues were only with a hot engine.

Originally posted by BaggedGLI View Post
            It's less money to scan for faults than it is to just throw parts at it.
            This.
            Work - houzz / linkedin
            Play - haldex swap

Comment

Originally posted by All_Euro View Post
              Since this is a cold-start issue, I don’t think it would be the CPS... in my case, starting issues were only with a hot engine.
              Generally hot is more common. I had my GLI acting up and throwing faults even cold.
              Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
              2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

I do have a code reader available to me but theres no CEL on my dash, so im not sure if any codes will show up. Ill give it a try though. Thanks for all the feedback!
                '04 GLI

Comment

Just realized that i forgot to add that when the the car shuts off, its just the engine stalling, as if i was to just let out the clutch while in gear and not moving. Radio, dash and everything electrical stays on. When the stall happened this morning I was going about 10km/h or lower and pulling up to a red light in neutral and the engine stalled. Mistake on my part for being a bit vague on the incident.
                  '04 GLI

Comment

If you want a proper scan, have a look at this thread, most guys will do it for a 6-12 pack of beer...Colin has been known to do it for a box of girl guide cookies or donuts

http://www.eurodrivers.ca/forums/sho...om-quot-Thread
                    Last edited by Geobmx4life; 06-08-2017, 05:30 AM.
                    Hers 2009 Audi A4 6sp manual
                    Mine....2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, colour matched Huffs. Frostheater

Comment

A proper vagcom scan with show soft codes as well, ones without a CEL. And will read any that have been left in the ecu from anything previous.

Comment

Working...
                      X