No announcement yet.

Why does this province use boulders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why does this province use boulders?

I have to run around ghetto for a week.

Neil
    '03 Silver Jetta 1.8T - gone, but not forgotten

mods to my car

Comment

poor poor neil
      best of luck getting it fixed.. i still can't believe a sunroof costs 1000 bucks

Comment

$1000.00

Comment

1.5 to replace it!!!! They are so easy to change, should be no more than .5! You need 1 torx socket. Maybe they are including vacuuming out all the glass or somthing?

Comment

Originally posted by Gumby
            1.5 to replace it!!!! They are so easy to change, should be no more than .5! You need 1 torx socket. Maybe they are including vacuuming out all the glass or somthing?
            Thanks for the info Tim. I might try this myself if I find some time. Can you tell me what size torx, how many and where? I look on the piece myself too to see if I can figure it out.
            Last edited by 1.8Trip; 01-28-2005, 09:31 AM.
            Neil

mods to my car

Comment

I just checked the official times at work it is .7 I will tell you how to remove it later tonight (we are busier than hell here) You can easily do it yourself Neil.

Comment

I just checked the official times at work it is .7 I will tell you how to remove it later tonight (we are busier than hell here) You can easily do it yourself Neil.
                Thanks a million.
                Neil

mods to my car

Comment

Originally posted by 1.8Trip
                  Thanks for the info Tim. I might try this myself if I find some time. Can you tell me what size torx, how many and where? I look on the piece myself too to see if I can figure it out.
                  I you need a hand or a warm place to work in it with lots of space let me know I should also have every tool you will ever need.
                  Name: Brent
                  His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
                  Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
                  Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall
                    I you need a hand or a warm place to work in it with lots of space let me know I should also have every tool you will ever need.
                    Thanks for the offer.
                    Neil

mods to my car

Comment

So why did they quote 1.5? That's probably not a topic we should get into but that's just not cool.
                      Jay

Comment

Originally posted by Tuna
                        So why did they quote 1.5? That's probably not a topic we should get into but that's just not cool.
                        Someone told me this is how it works:

Lets say 0.7 hours is listed in the repair manual for the sunroof replacement. The techs get paid by how long this book says - so a tech would get paid for 0.7 hours to do a sunroof replacement. If he can finish it faster, that is good for him because he still gets paid 0.7 hours.

The dealership has to pay the tech for 0.7 hours of labour, yet they are somewhat restricted in how much they charge per hour. They can't jack up their hourly rate too high - instead of charging $100 an hour charging $200 an hour - because then people would wonder why dealerships charge 2x what most mechanical shops charge for the same service.

So instead they charge you for double-time. They need to cover their expenses such as other employees and of course make a profit, but it does seem dishonest to quote more time than they know it will take. In most cases I am told the techs can finish jobs much faster than in the manual, because they are quite skilled.
                        KR
                        Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Ok Neil, put your sunroof in "vent" mode (the way it was when it got broken) You will see 2 plastic covers on both sides on the inside of the sunroof. Pull them off gently, i usually pull them off from the back first but when you get the first 2 off you will see how they re-attach (if you do happen to break one, i will send ya one ) Note the covers are all different, so watch which one goes where. Now you will see 3 torx screws on each side (t-25 is the size if i can remember) Just remove those screws and the roof just comes straight out. Re-install the screws but don't go too tight just snug because you will have to adjust it now (nice with 2 people). Once they are snug, lower the roof to the closed position and set the front part of the roof approx 1 mm below the roof panel and the rear aprrox 1 mm above the rear of the roof. This is the proper setting to eliminate wind noise. Once it is "pushed" into place raise it back up and tighten up the bolts. Re-install the covers and your done! I hope this explains it ok, once you have done it you will realize how easy it is. If you get stuck or have any questions let me know i can pm my phone # or call me at work!

Comment

Thanks Tim. Your instructions were perfect. It took no time at all. I spent way more time vacuuming all the pieces of glass and replacing the weather stripping around the edge than it took to actually change out the parts.

Ghetto no longer!
                            Neil

mods to my car

Comment

awesome neil!! did you end up having to get it from the dealer or wrecker?

Comment

I got it from Montgomery for $400. I feel pretty good considering I was getting quotes of $1000 and $300 for install.
                                Neil

mods to my car

Comment

Working...
                                X