No announcement yet.

auto tranny fluid change? necessary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: auto tranny fluid change? necessary?

Originally posted by B5
    Fork out $400 regularly is the way to go.
    400 BONES FOR A FLUID CHANGE!?!?!?! Call me crazy but there is no way in hell I would pay that. I'll do it myself thankyou very much.
    Bryce

2002 Jetta 1.8T Baltic Green Tiptronic
    APR 91, Carbonio CAI, Samco TIH, 2.5" Brullen Turbo-back, ABD Lower Intercooler Pipe, Forge 007 DV

Comment

Originally posted by Guysmiley
      what does the last paragraph mean. I am not understanding it.
      Don't worry.. These aren't the droids your looking for..
      Like Type 2's? Visit my blog!

My posts and comments written here on this forum are on my spare time and are my personal opinion(s) and are not the opinion(s) or policy of my employer nor are they proven to be accurate. Use advice at your own risk.
      You dig sucka?!

Comment

Originally posted by Tromping_Maniac
        400 BONES FOR A FLUID CHANGE!?!?!?! Call me crazy but there is no way in hell I would pay that. I'll do it myself thankyou very much.
        We are talking about a full synthetic AUTOMATIC including the torque converter ATF swap. Not a manual transaxle fluid change. I think it's well worth the money. I'd sooner change the fluid not the transaxle.

My posts and comments written here on this forum are on my spare time and are my personal opinion(s) and are not the opinion(s) or policy of my employer nor are they proven to be accurate. Use advice at your own risk.
        You dig sucka?!

Comment

Originally posted by Volkstech
          We are talking about a full synthetic AUTOMATIC including the torque converter ATF swap. Not a manual transaxle fluid change. I think it's well worth the money. I'd sooner change the fluid not the transaxle.
          400 dollars though? that just seems really steep to me. But it could just be me. Don't get me wrong I do believe in regular maintenance but I just don't think 400 dollars is worth it for a fluid change.
          Last edited by Tromping_Maniac; 06-15-2005, 11:17 PM.
          Bryce

APR 91, Carbonio CAI, Samco TIH, 2.5" Brullen Turbo-back, ABD Lower Intercooler Pipe, Forge 007 DV

Comment

400 dollars though? that just seems really steep to me. But it could just be me.
            $400 is a lot of money I agree. But $4000+ for a transaxle makes me think $400 is not a bad price to pay for piece of mind.

You dig sucka?!

Comment

$400 is a lot of money I agree. But $4000+ for a transaxle makes me think $400 is not a bad price to pay for piece of mind.
              Ok, so try to explain it to me then. How many quarts of fluid, hours of labor and filter+gasket costs. Then I maybe able to see the value in this procedure. It seems me this procedure is just like changing oil, there is no way you can get every drop out, but you get the majority of the metal shards and gunk out so its worth it. Why not just do that for the tranny (instead of this really expensive procedure)?
              Last edited by Tromping_Maniac; 06-15-2005, 11:33 PM.
              Bryce

Comment

Originally posted by Guysmiley
                what does the last paragraph mean. I am not understanding it.

Read this then you will understand what I said. >

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showflat.p...fpart=all&vc=1

You need Vag-Com to do this. In my case I found the 00012 is the way to go and most aggressive shifting which I love.

Comment

Ok, so try to explain it to me then. How many quarts of fluid, hours of labor and filter+gasket costs. Then I maybe able to see the value in this procedure. It seems me this procedure is just like changing oil, there is no way you can get every drop out, but you get the majority of the metal shards and gunk out so its worth it. Why not just do that for the tranny (instead of this really expensive procedure)?
                  Pay $400 a shot will not prevent the tranny go south either.

IIRC 4 bottles of ATF($60) + filter($102) + sh1tty orange O-ring($14)+3hr labor.

Even std tranny is not a guarantee for LIVE. Remember the ol'2nd gear grind times ago? People only hope to switch other gear lube to make the tranny live longer. Yea, they thought. What if you have the good design at the beginning then why all those mishap happened?

VW do love to put their hands in your pocket then squeeze your balls(Ouch!) for the money.

Comment

Don't worry.. These aren't the droids your looking for..
                    You are welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by B5
                      Pay $400 a shot will not prevent the tranny go south either.

IIRC 4 bottles of ATF($60) + filter($102) + sh1tty orange O-ring($14)+3hr labor.
                      That's more than $400. I still think that even the process of flushing the transmission is not going to guarantee that all metal shards come out. But that's just me and my experiences from rebuilding engines I guess. When I change my ATF I'll be spending the 60 on fluid, 102 on filter and 14 on o-ring. But there is no way in hell I'm paying for three hours of labor (are they taking the trans out or something). I'll do it myself.

Originally posted by B5
                      VW do love to put their hands in your pocket then squeeze your balls(Ouch!) for the money.
                      Agreed. Hey ever notice the dealership uses a really cute cashier so that you won't **tch about the prices? I've sure noticed this at NL, damn I start drooling everytime lol!
                      Last edited by Tromping_Maniac; 06-16-2005, 12:03 AM.
                      Bryce

Comment

You can DIY after your read this >>>>

http://pics2.tdiclub.com/gwillie/VW/autoFluidchange.pdf

Good bye expensive dealer.

Comment

I think they cost more now. LOL

That's more than $400. !

Awwwww… I now see you have a fancy tiptronic. That even b1chy-er to work with.

Comment

My appologies Volkstech, after viewing the DIY guide provided by B5 I understand it is a little more involved than I originally though. Therefore I could probably see sending $400 for someone else to do it. Although I still think I could do it, it might take me quite a bit longer than you though. Volkstech thanks for taking the time to respond to my questions along you with B5.
                            Bryce

Comment

thanks to all for the discussion. I have a better idea of what to do now.

thanks again

Comment

Working...
                              X