Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another build thread. B6 avant. WHY NOT!!!! sorry..build Story not thread...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another build thread. B6 avant. WHY NOT!!!! sorry..build Story not thread...

Hello all. I got time to kill...its raining...im bored...Here ya go.
    airbags....gotta have em
    some of you, we may have met me at an ED coffee and cars in Edmonton before. If not, im sure we will meet sometime or another.

I purchased this 2004 Avant 1.8t 6spd a couple years ago. It had 210,000km or so. It was a trade in and got a good deal. Real good deal. It required some immediate attention though but was easy enough. Coolant flange, Window regulator, Clutch, brakes, etc..other usual audi issues.
    Then i got some Koni coilovers and s-line wheels. The first bit of lovin.

Nothin for a while really. Then the big day came. Wedding day. Our limo had to be lookin spiffy so I took out the rear spring perches and had the coils just sittin right on the sleeves. Lowered the front to match...static lovin..a little low for a daily driver...
    I tinted the tails and markers as well
    Tinted the tails and markers, removed orange reflectors from stock headlights (wouldn't do again..cheesy lookin)

Then I was shown this app called instagram...insta heroin really.......got addicted and kept seein' all these cars on bags...on bags..on bags on bags...
    I got the itch...bad...real bad....
    Then i thought it would be a ggrand idea to go into a little debt and ordered up a set.
    whilst the package was being delivered i started on the tank setup. Post haste.

then christmas came...in march?

Hardest part was the tank colour. Several cans of spray bomb . many plates of metal

Put off deciding the colour for a while so I started bending up some lines. Took my time as it was -15C to -25C outside still.

I Tried to have the copper bend with the tank ( as you could see to the right)

but it didnt look nice. and it was really hard to match to the other side.
    Ended up with this

In hindsight I would spend money and get a real nice swage-lok bender because the cheapo crappy tire ones squeeze and stretch the lines in the bend..not so nice...distorts the colour of the copper too. DONT LOOK TOO CLOSELY AT MINE NOW!

Finally picked a colour, Rustoleum primer with metallic pearl then a clear coat

The underneath of the hardwood. obviously the wiring was all neatly taped when finished...OBVIOUSLY.....

It warmed up enough I was able to spend an hour here or there putting the hardwood back into the cargo area.

I mounted the pressure gauge into the vent

controller into the pocket using some packing foam.

Finally it warmed up to 5 degrees or so. Long johns, jeans, coveralls, winter jacket toque...Prepared I went outside and braved the cold
    (no pictures for next while)
    it wasnt fun, upper control arm pinch bolts seized and broke...funny seeing as I had them out 2 years ago for the coilovers...AAAHHH.... since I had to take the knuckles out of the car to remove those pesky bolts I had new front wheel bearings put in thanks to a good dear friend and his press......you know who you are....
    a couple days later I was pleased to see this.

TEST DRIVE TIME

pleased to say..ALL WAS WELL...no real hiccup at all.

Shine up that copper!

front subframe

Then 6 or so days later ...snow. Good timing.

Glass rear wiper delete plug

s4 door blades

Another friend helped me with some body work. Had a couple dents in the drivers rear door, a pillar and some rust behind the drivers rear wheel

Then I got some roof rails off a Ford expedition and they happened to curve with the roof line really nicely. So I cut them up and made them fit.

Finally after hating reaching back to get at the controller and after some conversations with a buddy I decided to mount it in the card holder...didn't quite fit...so this is what I was left with.

a couple iphone money shots

And finally, as it sits

Hello Mravant

Well thats the end of my story for now..
    Look forward to meeting you all in the future

Re: Another build thread. B6 avant. WHY NOT!!!! sorry..build Story not thread...

Awesome car! Man I gotta buy another B6 Avant...
    -Faraaz

Comment

Re: Another build thread. B6 avant. WHY NOT!!!! sorry..build Story not thread...

Loving the story so far!!!
      Blair
      Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Personally not a fan of the bags, but love the B6 Avant and the ingenuity to adapt the Explorer roof rails.

Carry on!
        Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

Candy White 2010 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI 6 speed /// #farmenwagen
        Indigo Pearl Effect 1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
        Brilliant Black 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

Comment

Well hey there. Glad you could join us! haha
          2007 A3 3.2vr | S-line | Quattro | Brilliant Black Sold
          2020 Glacier White A4 Allroad
          2013 Allroad Scuba Blue

Comment

Great lookin avant man. Looks so good on the RS6 wheels!
            Patryk
            Instagram: @parkus08

91 BMW 340is ///M-Tech II - Under construction
            08 VW .:R32
            04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

Loving the avant buddy!
              --
              Rod
              Ex-presidente

Drive

2016 VW Golf .:R

Drove
              2001.5 Audi S4 / Santorin Blue STAGE II+ / JFonz Tuned

Comment

Yum. Nice wagon

Comment

Good work, i am enjoying the RS6 wheels and the load bars!
                  One small tip is that i would watch the placement of those pressure sensors. They are on the compressor -> tank lines and at the very lowest spot and on their side, that way water will build up and will rest against the sensor. If you are planning on winter driving it at all this year i would plan on keeping a spare sensor or two handy for when the diaphragm busts due to the water freezing and expanding against the surface.
                  EDIT: Also i do realize you have water traps before the sensors, but yes water will still collect in those lines unfortunately :(
                  Last edited by MechEngg; 09-09-2014, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Mmm so many B6 avants lately! No complaints here! Always loved black B6s too.
                    By the way, what's your Instagram?
                    Last edited by hooddub; 09-09-2014, 09:50 AM.
                    Evan

Brilliant Black B6 A4 1.8T

Comment

Hey bud, glad to see your finally got your own thread. We need a big avant meet/pics. Just saying

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Avant View Post
                        Hey bud, glad to see your finally got your own thread. We need a big avant meet/pics. Just saying
                        Ooh am I invited in my partial avant? lol
                        2007 A3 3.2vr | S-line | Quattro | Brilliant Black Sold
                        2020 Glacier White A4 Allroad
                        2013 Allroad Scuba Blue

Comment

Thanks for the appreciation.
                          who doesn't like bags......sheesh.
                          No instagram account.
                          Thanks for the tip about the sensors, I wasn't gonna winter drive it but Its almost cold.enough these last few days to worry.

Comment

All these bagged examples!!! Makes me want to pull the trigger so bad next year!

Very Nice Avant!
                            -Stefan- '02 S6 Atlas Grey

'01 A6 2.7T MT --- Sold
                            '95 GTI 2.slo --- Sold

Need Radio Removal Keys, VAG-Com? PM Me

Comment

Just downloaded tapatalk...try to upload pics this way.

Well here's this weekends project...wanted to wait til it was done and stained but I couldn't wait to show it....I wanted a nardi but don't want to pay.....so I am trying ti make my own. I bought a cheap wheel off Kijiji for 15$
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1410797240919.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	511833

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1410797278189.jpg
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	511834
                              Took off the foam...realized the inner bar was too thick.. Tried to cut it in half and fold it into a smaller diameter but it got all fuĀ„%ed up so I removed it completely and left with just the center...

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1410797286992.jpg
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	511835
                              Then I took some 3/4" sheets of wood and routed two circles..then used a round over bit to......round out the edges

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1410797314691.jpg
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	511836

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1410797324601.jpg
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	511837
                              Then mated the two together..

Comment