Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Adrian's 03 GLI

Originally posted by MechEngg View Post
    That should be it for the swap, and should be easy enough to do. Just make sure to turn the rear pistons when compressing them is my only warning, not sure how many integrated brake/ebrake calipers you have worked with before.
    No harm in doing the rears before the fronts, rather in this case it may make sense to do the rears first because it is a much bigger upgrade going from solid to vented rotors than going from 288->312 in the front.
    I've worked with lots of these before, I saw a couple posts that the rear shield will have to be replaced or just cut off. Is there a problem with not having one?
    2003 Volkswagen Jetta Gli
    2009 Audi S5

Instagram : Adrian.Cocis

Comment

I didn't even think of that, but yes with the rear brakes being so much thicker the dust shield will definitely be a problem. I always like having a dust shield, is it an absolute must, probably not. See if Natty can get you a set for cheap maybe?

Comment

Do the fronts first(though I will upgrade pads first), the rears are pretty oversized from the factory, ie. when you disable abs your rear brakes lock up way before the fronts,, (my last car was a 03 GLI). The front brakes aren't really worth the money, unless you're hardcore tracking(but then you get after market brakes), people really only do it because everyone on vortex are all over them because "oem+""bigger". A much more effective upgrade is Hawk hps pads all around, I had them on my 03 and it braked much better than the 04 GLI on akebono ceramic.
        Last edited by kujiwara; 10-30-2015, 12:44 PM.
        Current Fleet
        #ProjectICreate Jetta GLI32
        2001 Cobra #88/3786
        1989 Jetta Trophy 1 of 500
        2004 Audi A2 FSI Colour Storm RHD
        2015 B8.5 S4 Sepang/Technik/6MT/SD/AAD/CF

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

Originally posted by kujiwara View Post
          Do the fronts first(though I will upgrade pads first), the rears are pretty oversized from the factory, ie. when you disable abs your rear brakes lock up way before the fronts,, (my last car was a 03 GLI). The front brakes aren't really worth the money, unless you're hardcore tracking(but then you get after market brakes), people really only do it because everyone on vortex are all over them because "oem+""bigger". A much more effective upgrade is Hawk hps pads all around, I had them on my 03 and it braked much better than the 04 GLI on akebono ceramic.

This is because when you disable ABS the proportioning valve is also disabled. This valve controls how much hydraulic pressure goes to the fronts vs rears.
          When it is disabled, 50% goes to the front, 50% to the rears, due to the rear brakes being much smaller than the fronts, the rears are getting more pressure per area of braking, causing them to lock first.
          Jason

"You dont buy a Volkswagen once, you buy it ten times."
          ---Samuel Moore

Instagram: @Wangtastic
          PM me to get your car detailed! - Brightside Detailing

Comment

Originally posted by GingerBeef View Post
            This is because when you disable ABS the proportioning valve is also disabled. This valve controls how much hydraulic pressure goes to the fronts vs rears.
            When it is disabled, 50% goes to the front, 50% to the rears, due to the rear brakes being much smaller than the fronts, the rears are getting more pressure per area of braking, causing them to lock first.
            That's when you assume the brakes are the same size front and rear, in the case of the stock setup the rear pads and brake pistons are considerably smaller than front and so is the disk size, so rear has less brake torque and pressure, but since the rear is so light the rear brakes still locks up before the front, I think you meant more like rear brake power to rear end weight ratio is higher than the front brake power to weigh ratio, instead of pressure per area, also weight transfer during braking needs to be taken into account too.
            It's always better to set up a car without driving aids, so the electrics have less work to do
            Last edited by kujiwara; 10-30-2015, 03:58 PM.
            Current Fleet
            #ProjectICreate Jetta GLI32
            2001 Cobra #88/3786
            1989 Jetta Trophy 1 of 500
            2004 Audi A2 FSI Colour Storm RHD
            2015 B8.5 S4 Sepang/Technik/6MT/SD/AAD/CF

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

So the car got parked for the winter, and I picked up a winter beater. The cars engine and transmission will be taken apart over the coarse of the winter to swap out all the gaskets, replace the door lock actuators that don't work, remove the tint and most likely do a passenger side wire tuck. I'm planning on hiding the windshield washer reservoir beside the power steering reservoir in the bumper, I've been searching alot and found a couple small bottles with pumps that are small enough to fit in there. I will also be updating this thread more since I have time to work on it and don't have to drive it.

Because who needs a hood

And the new beater, Its a 2004 GMC Jimmy with the ZR2 package, Its been a lot of fun driving it, by that I mean not on the road :P The only thing that I dislike alot about it is the fuel economy, Its complete crap. I put 40L of gas in it and 200km later the gas light came on. So I have to start checking plugs, O2 sensors and all that fun stuff which I dont want to do on this car.

2009 Audi S5

Comment

Haven't updated the thread in a while because I've had no motivation to work on the car. Everything from the top of the engine is out of the way so I can access the transmission but still have to remove everything from the under side, Also in the middle of relocating the washer reservoir, I will be buying a 1L square reservoir which I will mount somewhere that's easily accessible but also hidden.

On the bright, I did buy a 2003 passat, the Jimmy was just wasting too much gas and did not feel like figuring out what the problem was. Lets just say it was getting under 300km to a tank and consuming 17.24 L/100km. I bought the passat with the exact same price that I sold the jimmy for. I just love it because of its practicality and how little gas it uses. It has no rust anywhere and the engine is mint besides the fact that I should probably change the timing belt really soon. Came with a whole book of paperwork from CAW, Midtown auto and Northland VW . Anyways heres a couple pictures of it!

And I also switched out the fogs with some hella JDM/Urofresh 3000k fog lights because it adds lots of power.
                2009 Audi S5

Comment

nice pickup!

don't look at photos of bagged b5.5's because the jetta and passat will switch places in your heart
                  Alex Dewar
                  2013 T-Red GLI

sigpic@BuckyVW

Old
                  03 Golf CL
                  2.Slow

Comment

Did the timing belt on the passat today, it was the first timing belt I ever did and it went relatively well besides the fact that I forgot to get a tensioner tool to lock it pin places so I spend about 2 hours figuring out how to push it back in and then keep in in place till I mounted it.
                    Picture just because
                    2009 Audi S5

Comment

I really like that passat

Comment

Originally posted by Bucky View Post
                        nice pickup!

don't look at photos of bagged b5.5's because the jetta and passat will switch places in your heart
                        May have already looked at them, if the colour of it was grey or black I defiantly would have but

Originally posted by MechEngg View Post
                        I really like that passat
                        Thanks, Its great on gas too! deffinatly alot better paying $50 for gas and going 650km opposed to paying $55 and going 280km...
                        2009 Audi S5

Comment

sweet dude

Comment

Wait? Did you not replace the timing belt tensioner? Did you just replace the belt?
                            Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
                            2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

Or the waterpump? Generally the waterpump is what fails on these engines and takes the belt out with it.

Pat

His
                              1989 Porsche Carrera 4 // 5 Speed // Guards Red

Hers
                              1987 VW Cabriolet // 20VT // O2J // Recaros // Porsche Slate Grey // Ronal Turbos // FK Coilovers

2005 Porsche Cayenne S

Theirs
                              1977 VW Type 2 Westfalia

Gone
                              2004 Audi A4 1.8T // quattro // 6 Speed // Brilliant Red
                              Fully built 1.8T || AEB || Motoza tuned || ID1000 || S4 MAF || GT3076R

Comment

^Yes H2O pump and tensioner have to be replaced at the same time as the belt!
                                -Faraaz

Comment

Working...
                                X