Adrian's 03 GLI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Adrian's 03 GLI

And the roller bearings typically go on these as well. I would definitely replace at a minimum:
    - Belt
    - Roller
    - Water Pump
    - Tensioner

But in that same breath i'm glad to see you marked the water pump to make sure it was timed properly with the cams

Comment

Originally posted by MechEngg View Post
      And the roller bearings typically go on these as well. I would definitely replace at a minimum:
      - Belt
      - Roller
      - Water Pump
      - Tensioner

But in that same breath i'm glad to see you marked the water pump to make sure it was timed properly with the cams
      and the hydraulic tensioner, they pop their guts out at random.
      Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
      2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

Originally posted by BaggedGLI View Post
        and the hydraulic tensioner, they pop their guts out at random.
        That was the 4th item on my list. Whether it be hydraulic or a manual conversion is up to the end user

Comment

Originally posted by MechEngg View Post
          - Belt
          - Roller
          - Water Pump
          - Tensioner

Wait? Did you not replace the timing belt tensioner? Did you just replace the belt?
          Originally posted by onceover View Post
          Or the waterpump? Generally the waterpump is what fails on these engines and takes the belt out with it.
          Originally posted by Fizzo20 View Post
          ^Yes H2O pump and tensioner have to be replaced at the same time as the belt!
          To answer all of these questions at one, The timing belt, along with the water pump, tensioner and everything was done 40,000km ago and i only need it to last me till April. The reason I wanted to do the timing belt is because it had cracks all over the belt, and yes I did realize the tensioner is hard to put back in, so I did replace it with a new one... I did the right thing right...? The timing belt interval for these cars is somewhere between 60,000km and 80,000km right?
          2003 Volkswagen Jetta Gli
          2009 Audi S5

Instagram : Adrian.Cocis

Comment

Some people replace belts as early as 80k, but 100k is ideal. A timing belt with 40k on it shouldn't really be in bad shape, how long ago was the belt replaced?

Comment

Originally posted by danosaur View Post
              Some people replace belts as early as 80k, but 100k is ideal. A timing belt with 40k on it shouldn't really be in bad shape, how long ago was the belt replaced?
              It wasn't in bad shape, it had a bunch of cracks on the belt which scared me because I do alot of driving and it is an interference engine, belt was last replaced 40,000km ago
              2009 Audi S5

Comment

I meant how old is the belt.. 1 year, 2 years.. Etc. Sometimes vehicles get driven very little and timing belts should be replaced due to age and not the amount of kms. Anyways, everyone has already chimed in with good advice on the things that should be replaced. I wouldn't do a tbelt job without pretty much everything already posted up. Just isn't worth having to go back in, after you finished the job.
                Last edited by danosaur; 01-05-2016, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Glad to hear you did the tensioner at least, the water pump and roller should still be good if it was only 40k ago and they were actually replaced.

1.8t OEM belts are usually a 7 year max life I believe to answer the question above. Also the manual says 160k kms for the belt, but 100k is a very good time to change it and not take chances.

Sounds like you did everything right

Comment

Got some motivation to work on the jetta today, Got a bunch on stuff out of the way for the transmission so it can come down. Also bought some lamin-x for the rear lights, saw someone do this on vortex a while ago and liked idea. Sorry in advance for the shitty phone pictures.

Before

After

Pics or fake so you guys can believe that I did do something to the car since last time
                    2009 Audi S5

Comment

Anyone on here ever remove just a O2M transmission without removing the engine as well? I'm having trouble getting my transmission out, the transmission is wiggling and all the bolts are out, there's about an inch of room between the block and transmission but can't bring it down, seems like its stuck on the CV axle flange and then when I move it over it gets stuck on the sub frame. I was thinking that now I only have 2 options...

Option 1- Remove the sub frame
                      Option 2- Remove the CV axle flange

Which of these will be the easiest to do? or are there any other tips?
                      2009 Audi S5

Comment

You should be able to pull it out a bit then rotate the rear of it up then pull it out farther and it should come out no problem.

I assume you have the axle out?

Subframe removal is not required.
                        Flange, not required, but could make it easier.
                        Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
                        2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

You should be able to pull it out a bit then rotate the rear of it up then pull it out farther and it should come out no problem.

I assume you have the axle out?

Subframe removal is not required.
                          Flange, not required, but could make it easier.
                          Hmmm, Ill try that. But it seems like the flange is getting stuck on the engine where a bolt is supposed to go. Also if I remove the flange will the gear oil spill out?.... I may have forgotten to drain the oil
                          Last edited by Adcodo; 01-15-2016, 11:23 AM.
                          2009 Audi S5

Comment

I removed a o2m from a 24v a while ago with the car high on jack stands, it's quite a shitty job and I don't even want to think about how to put the transmission back in without using a lift. Honestly just remove the front end, connectors, cat, axles and takeout the motor with the transmission in one unit takes you no time( I remove my 3.2 in about 3-4 hours) and will be much much easier to put in.
                            Last edited by kujiwara; 01-15-2016, 12:18 PM.
                            Current Fleet
                            #ProjectICreate Jetta GLI32
                            2001 Cobra #88/3786
                            1989 Jetta Trophy 1 of 500
                            2004 Audi A2 FSI Colour Storm RHD
                            2015 B8.5 S4 Sepang/Technik/6MT/SD/AAD/CF

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

Originally posted by kujiwara View Post
                              I removed a o2m from a 24v a while ago with the car high on jack stands, it's quite a shitty job and I don't even want to think about how to put the transmission back in without using a lift. Honestly just remove the front end, connectors, cat, axles and takeout the motor with the transmission in one unit takes you no time( I remove my 3.2 in about 3-4 hours) and will be much much easier to put in.
                              I wish I had that much room in my garage, I would have, but i don't and that's why the engine's staying in.
                              2009 Audi S5

Comment

Originally posted by Adcodo View Post
                                I wish I had that much room in my garage, I would have, but i don't and that's why the engine's staying in.
                                With two jacks or something else to support the engine, you can pull it off the mounts and move it so you have more room.
                                Work - houzz / linkedin
                                Play - haldex swap

Comment

Working...
                                X