Diesel vs. Gas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diesel vs. Gas

Well, since the fuel economy thread got jacked...here is a place to continue the argument between Diesels and gas engines.

And go...
    Tim
    Golf 1.8T GTI MKIV

Re: Diesel vs. Gas

This thread is useless without a dyno to back up any claim ...lol
    sigpic

Comment

Okay so we all agree that the condition required for a heavily modified TDI to beat a stock 1.8t would be: going up a 45+ degree slope (and in the mountains for some reason keeps on being argued even though i don't fully understand why)

/discussion?

Comment

The reason this argument again will never be resolved is but dynos don't lie right , and instant torque wins but dynos .So if you have not owned both engines in debate here ..... i feel ones point of view is skewed and you should remain out of it for biased sake ...no? and then lets do this properly

what cars in this debate have each of you had in your possesion .........go
        2000 tdi jetta std
        2001 tdi jetta std
        2004 tdi jetta std
        2002 gti 1.8t std
        2003 jetta wgn 1.8t std
        2004 audi a4 1.8t std
        2001 audi tt 1.8t std
        this is the list of the cars i can remember ... I have probably had more for too brief to recall .
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MechEngg View Post
          Okay so we all agree that the condition required for a heavily modified TDI to beat a stock 1.8t would be: going up a 45+ degree slope (and in the mountains for some reason keeps on being argued even though i don't fully understand why)

/discussion?
          Thats the problem they dont agree . they cant see through the smoke ....
          sigpic

Comment

Haha this whole thing started when i made a joke about TDI's beating gas engines for the first 100' of a race. I can't believe people are still even responding here....the rest of my posts have all been just stirring up conversation. It has brought about a few good points, a few horrible points, and some pretty dumb remarks. I look forward to watching the rest of this unfold

Comment

Re: Gas Milage!!
              4.5l/100 at 120-130...1128 best tank, all hwy...Suckers!!! LOL

This is kinda what started the debate I think.
              As for the MTNs bit, IDK alot about 1.8Ts...but with Malone tuning, Mark puts sub programs in for elevation, but its to keep the turbos from overboosting at 5000+feet.
              I don't want a race car, just a fun car to drive
              CGDoig 2011...lol
              Hers 2009 Audi A4 6sp manual
              Mine....2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, colour matched Huffs. Frostheater

Comment

Stock comparison:

1.9TDI (North America, because the European models are much more powerful stock) VS 1.8T

The stock numbers:

TDI
                1999.5-2003 TDI = CR 1.9L with 90 hp and 155 ft-lbs
                2004-2005.5 TDI = PD 1.9L with 100 hp and 177 ft-lbs
                1.8T
                1999.5-2001 1.8T= 150 hp and 155 ft-lbs
                2002-2005.5 1.8T= 180 hp and 174 ft-lbs

And for reference:
                Euro TDI PD150= 150 hp and 236 ft-lbs torque

They both have lots of low end torque
                The TDI has more usable torque at lower RPM than the 1.8T, but not by much
                The 1.8T has higher HP but at similar(see below) mods the HP evens out
                (With just a basic turbo upgrade, tune and mods to support it -the VNT17/22=TDI and KO4=1.8T - you will get 210HP TDI and 235HP 1.8T. Very similar.
                At the more insane end of things the 1.8T can be modded to go to 600HP whereas the TDI will max out at 300HP, so at the top end the 1.8T will win no doubt, however with the basic stuff that most people do, these two will be "roughly" similar.)
                They both can be easily modded to get great HP and Torque gains
                The 1.8T comes in GLI which is awesome, but the TDI sport is pretty close
                The TDI has better fuel economy up to 60MPG (50MPG usual), but according to some posts on Eurodrivers the 1.8T can get up to 45MPG (35MPg usual)
                The 1.8T is quieter smoother, the TDI engine is louder rougher

So in the end, if you don't care as much about fuel economy and want a quiet faster car the 1.8T is for you, if care more about fuel economy and don't mind a slightly noisier car that's still fun to drive then the TDI is for you.

I personally don't mind the louder engine and like having up to 60MPG so I'm a TDI fan.
                Last edited by witchcraftz; 04-18-2013, 03:57 PM. Reason: Note: Repost from previous thread

Comment

im here to show some love for the 2.0's!!!!!! (dont ban me)

Comment

i owned a 12v VR6 for 3 years before i got my 1.8t, i said i would never get a 1.8t, sure glad i did tho, love the power and im happy with the fuel economy even with the mods thats are done to it.

Everything beats my old Ford F150, had dual tanks that equalled 100 litres, best i saw was 425 kms on the hiway (thats from both tanks)
                    thats bascially 10mpg=23.52 litres/100 kilometers.
                    Current:
                    2017 VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion DSG
                    2013 VW Jetta 2.5
                    Past:
                    2005 VW JTI 1.8T
                    1993 VW Jetta 2.0
                    1996 VW GTI VR6

1991 Ford F150 4X4
                    1989 Nissan Kingcab 2WD
                    1983 Buick Skylark

Comment

Originally posted by danaldson View Post
                      im here to show some love for the 2.0's!!!!!! (dont ban me)
                      Danny...go practice your dance moves!!!
                      Hers 2009 Audi A4 6sp manual
                      Mine....2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, colour matched Huffs. Frostheater

Comment

Not much to comment on, but for info sake, here is a TDI dyno.
                        2001 ALH. OEM 205 injectors and an Upsolute tune.

Stefan
                        -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
                        -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
                        -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
                        -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

I bought my TDI because I needed a car with extremely good fuel mileage. When I purchased it diesel was 72c/L where as gas was approaching the 1$ mark. First huge saving. Second I was driving from Sundre to Calgary every day. So my fuel savings was definitely above $250 a year or whatever Meyers said average a year was.

I got a job in Sundre so I started modding my car right away. The torque is amazing. I can smoke quite a few of the trucks around town in which there are a lot. Its a fun daily driven car. I have a friend who owns a Hyundai with the 2.0t in it. One day we went for a drive and he said your cars not even that fast, my response? It puts a smile.on my face every day I drive it. In the end that's all that matters anyways right?

Comment

G-lader ---> best
                            Jay

Comment

Diesel.

Comment

Working...
                              X