Diesel vs. Gas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Diesel vs. Gas

That link is retarded. How many gas drivers keep their car past 300,000kms? Cause I have yet to own a diesel with less than 300,000kms. My wifes Golf TDI has 550,000kms and is still running strong. My modded Jetta has just over 300,000 kms and is still running strong, my brother has a heavily modded Jetta TDI similar to mine with over 400,000 kms and is still running strong. How many gassers that are as modified as our diesels have that same km's and are still getting comparative power? None? That's because nobody keeps a gasser car past 300,000 kms, whereas most people that buy diesels to save the money, keep the car forever and put twice as many kms on their car than most gas cars.
    Last edited by dJ; 05-16-2013, 07:50 PM.
    2001 Jetta TDI GL Silver
    Malone Tune stage 5+ ,VNT17-22Turbo, OMI, PP Race Pipe, PD 150 Intake, 2 1/2" Straight back exhaust, no mufflers, 2 1/2" downpipe straight no Cat, Race 520 Injectors, 11mm Fuel Pump, Lift Pump, EGR Delete mod,DC Stage IV Clutch, Michelin X-Ice 2's, 26 lb/s of boost alll day long, Smoking like a train!

Comment

I plan on driving mine for another 300,000 for sure. Even owning an 05 with a PD. The cost of doing any engine repair to the vehicle is peanuts compared to the cost of a newer car. The day you can show me a gasser that can damn near get me from Sundre to Victoria in one 60 litre tank and have gobs of torque to boot i'll make the switch. Until then....

Comment

Not to harsh anyones mellow...I have a Nissan Pick up with 370 000 on it and its still running strong...but I WILL be keeping my 05 PD TDI for as long as possible. I'm not looking to have my own personal race car...just a fun fast fuel economy daily!
        Hers 2009 Audi A4 6sp manual
        Mine....2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, colour matched Huffs. Frostheater

Comment

Originally posted by Geobmx4life View Post
          Not to harsh anyones mellow...I have a Nissan Pick up with 370 000 on it and its still running strong...but I WILL be keeping my 05 PD TDI for as long as possible. I'm not looking to have my own personal race car...just a fun fast fuel economy daily!
          My dad has an 06 impala ss with 350000km haha.
          2002 Jetta TDI
          2003 Jazz Blue GTI
          1981 Rabbit Truck Diesel

Comment

Originally posted by Geobmx4life View Post
            George we should have actually raced today up to the speed limit. I think the mods we each have are somewhat comparable right? I have a tune, downpipe and SMIC and intake, you have an upgraded turbo and tune and straight pipe. Would have been a decent comparison at least i think.

Comment

One thing they have a lot of here which seems a bit odd to me is diesel convertibles. I guess stock and unmodded they are not too smoky but seems like it has the potential to be a bit unpleasant at times, but Audi offers A5s in 2.0 and 3.0 TDI for the cabriolets.
              Blair
              Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Below
                Last edited by turbomeyers; 05-17-2013, 02:32 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

FTFY Shrek

These high mileage diesels you all are hung up on are the old generations. I agree great cars and will be around forever. Just as in the case of the 06 tdi, that was very problematic after 150000kms, the used maket will be flooded with people disgusted with the repairs associated with the continued ownership of high millage new diesels when compared to gas.

I have yet to have a customer in a new tdi retain ownership long enough to fight in favor of the longevity of the new engines (i have 4 clients with over 200000 on the tsi engines and all that has needed to be done is the tensioner). The fsi cars just need the fuel pump follower every 80-100k (on good oil) but i could be wrong why dont you diesel die hards trade in your mk4 tdi for a high milage crd and find out ...

Also get back to me on how much worse on fuel mileage with the new car is. I will just keep finding more and more articles of respected journalists from around the world (because in N/A our media is bought and paid for with advertiser money) and prove to you guys the trend of economy is gasoline .
                  Last edited by Ur0Drivr; 05-17-2013, 10:13 AM.
                  --
                  Rod
                  Ex-presidente

Drive

2016 VW Golf .:R

Drove
                  2001.5 Audi S4 / Santorin Blue STAGE II+ / JFonz Tuned

Comment

I have no reason to trade my car in for a newer one as there's nothing wrong with my tdis. Perhaps the new ones have issues, most cars do. Why would I trade my car that already gets 1200kms a tank highway with a boatload of torque for something slower and not quite as efficient? I wouldn't. The fact is, my tdi is 12 years old and has better fuel economy and torque than any gasser.
                    2001 Jetta TDI GL Silver
                    Malone Tune stage 5+ ,VNT17-22Turbo, OMI, PP Race Pipe, PD 150 Intake, 2 1/2" Straight back exhaust, no mufflers, 2 1/2" downpipe straight no Cat, Race 520 Injectors, 11mm Fuel Pump, Lift Pump, EGR Delete mod,DC Stage IV Clutch, Michelin X-Ice 2's, 26 lb/s of boost alll day long, Smoking like a train!

Comment

Originally posted by MechEngg View Post
                      George we should have actually raced today up to the speed limit. I think the mods we each have are somewhat comparable right? I have a tune, downpipe and SMIC and intake, you have an upgraded turbo and tune and straight pipe. Would have been a decent comparison at least i think.
                      Yeah, comparable mods, but until I get my tune 100%, I think you'd beat me...still some kinks to work out.
                      Hers 2009 Audi A4 6sp manual
                      Mine....2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, colour matched Huffs. Frostheater

Comment

i tell evryone with the old tdi never let it go..... ever (unless its auto then dump that sh\t)
                        sigpic

Comment

I'm enjoying the $1.13/L for diesel this weekend how's the 91 octane?

Comment

91 is xgvlAdsgsdauofgaflszfbzsjcasuc...
                            145.9 per liter...... 40liters.....
                            Current Fleet
                            #ProjectICreate Jetta GLI32
                            2001 Cobra #88/3786
                            1989 Jetta Trophy 1 of 500
                            2004 Audi A2 FSI Colour Storm RHD
                            2015 B8.5 S4 Sepang/Technik/6MT/SD/AAD/CF

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

Originally posted by Hardy_Boy View Post
                              I'm enjoying the $1.13/L for diesel this weekend how's the 91 octane?
                              Not as fast as 93, but faster than almost anything. Why do you ask?
                              Cam

2004 VW R32 Turbo

Comment

It probably comes out of the wallet equally as fast.
                                2001 Jetta TDI GL Silver

Comment

Working...
                                X