Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Golf R 400 Concept

Latest rumors:

A new report indicates the Golf R 400 will go into production only if Volkswagen can find a suitable gearbox that can handle the concept's 450 Nm (332 lb-ft) of torque.

The Volkswagen Golf R 400 concept was unveiled in April at the Beijing Motor Show and immediately rumors emerged about a potential production model. There was even a report suggesting the car would have even more power than the concept which comes with a 2.0-liter 4-cylinder turbo outputting 400 PS (294 kW) and 450 Nm (332 lb-ft).

It is believed the model will see the light of production day only if Volkswagen's engineers will be able to install a gearbox that would be suitable to handle all that torque. The most plausible solution is the upcoming 10-speed DSG since it can handle up to 500 Nm (369 lb-ft). Power will be channeled to a 4MOTION all-wheel drive system and performance should be on par with the concept's 0-62 mph (0-100 km/h) run in 3.9 seconds and an electronically-limited top speed of 174 mph (280 km/h).
    Blair
    Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

i bet a manual transmission could be made to last.
      you probably don't like me because someone else said they didn't lol. <3

Comment

My car is pushing around 350 ft lbs. Pretty sure my gearbox handles it just fine...

Comment

Originally posted by 100%VAGitarian View Post
          i bet a manual transmission could be made to last.
          I bet it could. http://www.gearsolutions.com/media/u...2010/#?page=44
          Rob
          Daddy's "Hooligan" - MK4 R32 in Deep Blue Pearl
          Mommy's "Gran Turismo" - E70 X5M in Black Sapphire Metallic

GONE... BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:

The Family "Muscle Car" - B7 RS4 in Misano Red - Dad's 20th Anniversary "Wanna-be R32" GTi

Comment

Rumors are looking good!!

We haven't heard much about the Volkswagen Golf R400 lately but a new report is indicating it has been approved for production and will be launched next year.

Citing company insiders, Car Magazine is reporting the production model will follow in the footsteps of the concept and adopt a restrained body kit that features a number of aerodynamic styling tweaks. The car is also slated to feature all-wheel drive, a high-performance braking system and a turbocharged four-cylinder engine that develops up to 420 PS (309 kW) and 450 Nm (331 lb-ft) of torque.

The car will reportedly debut at the 2015 Frankfurt Motor Show and go on sale last next year. Nothing is official but pricing is expected to start at less than €50,000 in Germany.
            Blair
            Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Fingers crossed it comes to NA. Wicked ride. Definitely hoping to see at least 3 or 4 of these join the ED club! A good friend of mine has already said he'll buy one if they come.
              Rob
              Daddy's "Hooligan" - MK4 R32 in Deep Blue Pearl
              Mommy's "Gran Turismo" - E70 X5M in Black Sapphire Metallic

GONE... BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:

The Family "Muscle Car" - B7 RS4 in Misano Red - Dad's 20th Anniversary "Wanna-be R32" GTi

Comment

Originally posted by Canadian Turbo View Post
                and a turbocharged four-cylinder engine that develops up to 420 PS (309 kW) and 450 Nm (331 lb-ft) of torque.
                And the newly announced 10-speed DSG is rated up to 550 Nm.

*drool*
                Matt
                IG: @chalmsmkvi

Comment

[Editor’s Note: Yes, it is April Fool’s Day. No, this is not a joke. Seriously.]

During a round table earlier today at the New York International Auto Show, Dr. Heinz-Jakob Neusser, member of the board of management responsible for development told journalists that should the Golf R 400 be officially green lit, it will be coming to America. In the meeting, Neusser stated that due to the success of the Golf in this marketplace and around the world, it simply makes sense to offer the most technologically advanced version in all markets as a limited production model.
                  http://www.vwvortex.com/news/volkswa...LLCC=920525506
                  Last edited by CGY_GTI; 04-01-2015, 05:48 PM.
                  Scott
                  '23 Audi Q5 Technik | Ultra Blue Metallic | Black​
                  '01 DC5 Honda Integra Type R | Championship White | Red

Comment

In a heartbeat
                    Nick

I love hatchbacks

Comment

This is the kind of car that will be worth $100,000 to a collector in a few years.
                      Last edited by witchcraftz; 04-02-2015, 08:46 AM.

Comment

Is VW playing a game of "hey lets see how much we can sell a Golf for"?
                        Cool collector item...yes...but a 2.0L pushing 400hp, its not that exciting anymore by today's standards. This would've been exciting had it been released and sold prior to the MK7 R release, well and came in a 2.5L 5 cyl. The MK7 R stage 1 consistently does 0-60 in 3.8s which is absolutely crazy.. So I think the R400 is a Jay Leno car...not sure who'd actually buy one of these when the MK7 R is available, and is available in manual/DSG and 4 doors.
                        -E
                        sigpic
                        Instagram: @ed_kisov

BMW 435i xDrive ///M Performance
                        ex MK6 Golf R RB
                        ex MK6 GTI CSG
                        ex MK4 Jetta 1.8T
                        ex MK3 Jetta CL

Comment

I am not sure I agree, this indeed will be a pricey car, but with things like the Focus RS pushing the boundaries a bit I can see this as more a halo car. Plus we have to wait and see how the tuners do with this version of the 2.0L, I assume it will be even crazier. If the timing was better I could see my Dad passing on his upcoming R for one of these but not sure he would want to want longer for his new daily.
                          Blair

Comment

Originally posted by mrvwguy View Post
                            Is VW playing a game of "hey lets see how much we can sell a Golf for"?
                            Cool collector item...yes...but a 2.0L pushing 400hp, its not that exciting anymore by today's standards. This would've been exciting had it been released and sold prior to the MK7 R release, well and came in a 2.5L 5 cyl. The MK7 R stage 1 consistently does 0-60 in 3.8s which is absolutely crazy.. So I think the R400 is a Jay Leno car...not sure who'd actually buy one of these when the MK7 R is available, and is available in manual/DSG and 4 doors.
                            -E
                            True but its not always about HP/performance numbers. Lots of other things that set it apart. I have seen this in person at the Autostadt in Wolfsburg last September and it is very impressive car. I'd take one over the MK7 R in a heartbeat!

Comment

This would be a very popular car if VW does give the green light. It is stunning all but the fake carbon fiber seat material (yuck very 2003). If they don't pull the trigger, a MK7 R + Tune with one of the already available R400 body conversion and badging kits available you could be driving a 2 or 4 door 6 speed by the summer. In fact get 10 MK7 R/ GTI etc. owners together and get your cars to Vegas and i will arrange the conversion for say 15k US

Comment

Originally posted by whtrabt View Post
                                True but its not always about HP/performance numbers. Lots of other things that set it apart. I have seen this in person at the Autostadt in Wolfsburg last September and it is very impressive car. I'd take one over the MK7 R in a heartbeat!
                                THIS.

PLUS
                                Stage 1 Golf R's are killing clutches and Turbos so buy the time you take the need to upgrade those components in to consideration, you're well on your way to one of these. A very limited car but I think there's a market. Wouldn't surprise me if they use this as a swan-song for the Mk7 platform.
                                Nick

I love hatchbacks

Comment

Working...
                                X