Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Golf R 400 Concept

Originally posted by bobkatkat View Post
    This would be a very popular car if VW does give the green light. It is stunning all but the fake carbon fiber seat material (yuck very 2003). If they don't pull the trigger, a MK7 R + Tune with one of the already available R400 body conversion and badging kits available you could be driving a 2 or 4 door 6 speed by the summer. In fact get 10 MK7 R/ GTI etc. owners together and get your cars to Vegas and i will arrange the conversion for say 15k US
    Has anyone installed on of those yet? How about the fenders?
    Last edited by jacktown; 04-02-2015, 10:28 AM.
    Nick

I love hatchbacks

Comment

Originally posted by jacktown View Post
      Has anyone installed on of those yet? How about the fenders?
      Yes there have been installs of this type of body kit. Funny they were available very shortly after the concept car made its first appearance. As for a wide body fenders like the R400 concept I highly doubt that they would be available until there is an actual production R400 to base aftermarket parts on. Tooling for metal parts is a whole different ball game than tooling for PU or FRP or CF.

Comment

Originally posted by bobkatkat View Post
        Yes there have been installs of this type of body kit. Funny they were available very shortly after the concept car made its first appearance. As for a wide body fenders like the R400 concept I highly doubt that they would be available until there is an actual production R400 to base aftermarket parts on. Tooling for metal parts is a whole different ball game than tooling for PU or FRP or CF.
        Yeah I figured. thanks.
        Nick

I love hatchbacks

Comment

THIS.

PLUS
          Stage 1 Golf R's are killing clutches and Turbos so buy the time you take the need to upgrade those components in to consideration, you're well on your way to one of these. A very limited car but I think there's a market. Wouldn't surprise me if they use this as a swan-song for the Mk7 platform.
          Don't get me wrong, manufactures should push the limits to showcase what's possible and to stay competitive by creating these concept cars, and its fun to watch from the sidelines. I'm not sure any of us here keep the cars long enough to endure the long term affect of a stage 1 tune on the clutch/turbo whether its a GTI or an R. If they do keep the car long enough, they must really be happy with what they've got and a clutch swap shouldn't destroy the wallet if one can afford an R in the first place. No, its not and certainly not always about performance, but then that's exactly what the R400 IS about though isn't? Once you peel off the fancy body kits and all
          sigpic
          Instagram: @ed_kisov

BMW 435i xDrive ///M Performance
          ex MK6 Golf R RB
          ex MK6 GTI CSG
          ex MK4 Jetta 1.8T
          ex MK3 Jetta CL

Comment

Originally posted by mrvwguy View Post
            Don't get me wrong, manufactures should push the limits to showcase what's possible and to stay competitive by creating these concept cars, and its fun to watch from the sidelines. I'm not sure any of us here keep the cars long enough to endure the long term affect of a stage 1 tune on the clutch/turbo whether its a GTI or an R. If they do keep the car long enough, they must really be happy with what they've got and a clutch swap shouldn't destroy the wallet if one can afford an R in the first place. No, its not and certainly not always about performance, but then that's exactly what the R400 IS about though isn't? Once you peel off the fancy body kits and all
            Totally. But it's not like the mk5/6 platform where you can do a stage 1 tune and know that the stock components are easily capable of safely holding the power. Mk7 tunes are killing clutches and turbos within a few thousand miles. I'm just saying stage 1 in a mk7 golf R isn't really a realistic option at the moment unless you support it with several thousand dollars of hardware - which isn't as it's advertised. (I must say I don't actually personally know anyone who is effected - it's just what I've read. I'd be more likely to step up a trim level as the price delta between the two gets mostly swallowed up by necessary hardware upgrades to support a tune. I'm sure you can get 400hp out of a mk7 golf r without spending whatever the price difference will be between the 2 trim levels but the real question is, can the sell 50 of these in Canada? Because that'll probably be enough to justify it at this point.

does anyone know if there's a different turbo in the 400 concept vs a standard mk7 Golf R?
            Last edited by jacktown; 04-02-2015, 07:09 PM.
            Nick

I love hatchbacks

Comment

My problem with this car is that its going to be relatively expensive. This, in my situation would make it a summer only car. Therefore I would have to get rid of the 911 for it to take up space in my garage. There is no way in hell I would drive a Golf R400 in the winter as it would be way to rare. I would however happily drive a MK7 golf R in the winter.
              Derek

-2008 Avus Silver RS4-Fat ass II
              -1996 C4S-Fat Ass
              -2007 FJ Cruiser-6 speed

Comment

Hey Circa1990 remember this?

Originally posted by witchcraftz View Post
                Originally posted by Circa1990 View Post
                Hell would freeze over before they bring this thing to NA
                careful of famous last words...

Comment

does anyone know if there's a different turbo in the 400 concept vs a standard mk7 Golf R?
                  The turbo in the R is still a relatively small turbo, I imagine even the stage one tunes are really pushing their efficiency range. You can see it in the dyno graphs of tunes pushing the ER by the greater gain TQ compared to HP, and the peak HP usually slides down in the RPM range. When you push a turbo beyond what it is capable of doing, then the turbo may generate more boost pressure while over-heating the air charge to a point where it becomes inefficient. What ever turbo is in the 400R, it hits 395hp with 332lb.ft. so it must be breathing easier at the top. I seem to remember reading that the 400r had a bigger turbo , reworked head and cams and reinforced crank case also. I can't for the life of me find that article.

MK6 Golf R (K04-64) 2.0T EA113
                  Borg Warner
                  6/6 Blade Billet Compressor Wheel & 12 Blade Turbine Wheel
                  46.4 mm Inducer / 60.5 mm Exducer - Compressor
                  44.5 mm Exducer / 51.0 mm Inducer - Turbine

MK7 Golf R 2.0T EA888 Gen 3
                  IHI
                  6/6 Blade Billet Compressor Wheel & 8 Blade Turbine Wheel
                  45.2 mm Inducer / 58.0 mm Exducer - Compressor
                  47.4 mm Exducer / 54.7 mm Inducer - Turbine
                  Last edited by bobkatkat; 04-03-2015, 08:51 PM.

Comment

To achieve the increase in power, the Golf R 400 features a newly developed turbocharger with a higher maximum charge pressure and reinforced crankcase. A water-cooled exhaust gas feed to the turbocharger integrated in the cylinder head helps to reduce full-load fuel consumption, while variable valve control with dual camshaft adjustment improves economy and performance.

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/about-us/news/597

Comment

That's the link. Thanks for finding it.

Comment

I have a feeling in the next 2 years I'll be switching to a new car. This, golf R, or a civic type R. Love the idea of all of them but see how they perform.

If a golf R otd is 42ish this will be 48k??? Roughly. I was looking a s3 on the audi site and it was 57k. Yikes!!

Comment

Originally posted by danno View Post
                          If a golf R otd is 42ish this will be 48k??? Roughly. I was looking a s3 on the audi site and it was 57k. Yikes!!
                          The Golf R is $40k base, with an optional Tech package for $2k. Realistically, you're probably looking at $44-47k OTD depending on fees, options, etc. An R400 will probably be close to $48-50k base.

A fully loaded S3 might hit that price (possibly OTD?), but they start just over $45k.
                          Last edited by CGY_GTI; 04-03-2015, 08:17 PM.
                          Scott
                          '23 Audi Q5 Technik | Ultra Blue Metallic | Black​
                          '01 DC5 Honda Integra Type R | Championship White | Red

Comment

By the time they build the r400, if they do, we will have the rs3 here, the mid cycle update to the AMG CLA (400hp), the M2 (400hp) and whatever hot hatch Volvo decides to put it's (definitely going into production) 450 hp triple charged 2.0. All of these have no difficulty asking and getting above 55k US. I would say at best the r400 would be priced between a loaded s3 and closer to a rs3. If there are 50 copies in Canada I see them going for 70k here and going quickly.

I really think Derek and Danno should get one each in two years. Just about the same time I will be starting a Triple Charged RS4 project with twin rear mount turbos and one huge electric turbo under the hood. Volvo is definitely going in the right direction.

Comment

Last edited by jacktown; 04-04-2015, 09:18 AM.
                              Nick

I love hatchbacks

Comment

still sounds like a civic ;P
                                2002 VW Golf GT TDI
                                2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

Working...
                                X