Golf R 400 Concept

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Golf R 400 Concept

I've never liked the sound of the 2l turbo with exhaust. Sounds like a tractor.

Volvo is making some good moves I agree.

Comment

What about about finally bringing over the Scirocco but make it a R400?

Comment

Originally posted by witchcraftz View Post
        Hey Circa1990 remember this?
        Hahaha, maybe I should say this about all the cars I can't afford that aren't available in N/A and they'll bring others too.
        Justin
        MkVI CW GTI 4-Door 6MT | APR Stage 2 | APR RSC Exhaust | VWR Intake |H&R Street Performance

Comment

from Car magazine;

Volkswagen is readying a red-hot Golf hot hatch with more than 400bhp - and the project has now been confirmed to CAR magazine by VW group powertrain chief Dr Heinz-Jakob Neusser.

It's the first official confirmation that VW will launch the Golf R400 concept as a production car. And it sounds like it could become the hottest hatch of all, as the GTI rat race continues to gather momentum.

'We have the Golf more sporty than ever before, since we soon will have the Golf R400 - we will do this car,' said Neusser. 'We are in fact in development of it right now.'

Yes, you read that right: in a few short months you'll be able to buy a super-Golf with more than 400bhp and four-wheel drive. It's like the Golf R has popped down the gym and snorted a load of steroids at breaktime...

VW Golf R420: the lowdown

This will be the first road car in the VW empire to premiere the high-output 2.0-litre turbo engine already seen in Audi’s TT420 concept car.

Final power outputs are not yet known, but CAR expects somewhere between 400-414bhp [420 metric hp, hence the name], sent to all four wheels to stop the front wheels lighting up at every traffic light.

Design, spec of new 2016 Golf R420

Don’t worry: there is no Max Power bodykit lined up for this uber-Golf. CAR understands that it’ll continue the understated, classy look of the GTI and R, but with a new spoiler and aero pack with splitters and extra addenda.

The brakes will be beefed up to cope with the extra oomph, but the track remains stock Golf. This has to fit down a regular Wolfsburg production line - it is emphatically not a limited edition car, according to our sources.

When can I buy the super Golf hot hatch?

Word is the c400bhp VW Golf hyper-hatch is destined for a Frankfurt motor show debut in September 2015, with first deliveries pencilled in for late 2015 or early 2016. However, we also know that VW is preparing a couple of hot Golf GTI concepts for the 2015 Worthersee festival in May: a faster model, one prepped by VW apprentices and a wilder, crazier Golf concept.

Cost of the R400/R420? To early to say definitively, but we hear that it will cost less than €50,000 in Germany. That means sub £40,000 in the UK, compared with £32,000 for a Golf R and £27,000 for a Golf GTI.

Sounds like hot hatches just got a little bit hotter…
          MKV GTI
          '73 Westfalia

Comment

This will fail in North America IMO.

I don't know North American pricing but since the Golf R is in the 40s, let's say this is a 50-60ish k car.

In Europe, European brands are on even playing field; E-classes are taxis, Audi's are rental cars.

In North America, people will view the typical big 3 (BMW, Audi, Mercedes) as superior over Volkswagen from a 'prestige' perspective.

In that price bracket, the Golf R 400 is competing against some heavy hitters from the Euro's. For the same amount of money, why would you buy a VW?

Why do you think the Phaeton failed? You can buy an Audi A8 (which is practically the same car) for roughly the same price.

The only ones that will buy it are the fanboys and while you can't beat the power per dollar value, I can't see a typical person buying this over the others.
            Fly with me on Instagram!:/:Travel Blog Tickle Your Fancy? Click This!:/:YouTube

Don

sigpic

Comment

Awesome....so you're getting one Don!!! Lol jk buddy!
              Hers 2009 Audi A4 6sp manual
              Mine....2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, colour matched Huffs. Frostheater

Comment

Originally posted by Geobmx4life View Post
                Awesome....so you're getting one Don!!! Lol jk buddy!
                Nah. For that much cash, the used market is Cloud 9.
                Fly with me on Instagram!:/:Travel Blog Tickle Your Fancy? Click This!:/:YouTube

Don

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by danno View Post
                  I've never liked the sound of the 2l turbo with exhaust. Sounds like a tractor.

Volvo is making some good moves I agree.
                  This x1000 :( I have an R, with upgraded exhaust. And SIGH. I miss my ol Vr 3.2 sound. And the pull. Wait, I miss the pull more.
                  Cam

2004 VW R32 Turbo

Comment

Originally posted by cam_wmh View Post
                    This x1000 :( I have an R, with upgraded exhaust. And SIGH. I miss my ol Vr 3.2 sound. And the pull. Wait, I miss the pull more.
                    Also missing that noise :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by flipstah View Post
                      Nah. For that much cash, the used market is Cloud 9.
                      But one can always say that... a better question is... what would you buy new instead of a R400 for $55K?

Personally... I'd rather have the "Mack-Daddy" VW Golf than an entry-level base Audi, BMW or Mercedes. Which is basically why I generally buy used since I'd rather have something higher up the brand food-chain than I can usually afford.

My prediction: 50 of the R400's will come to Canada and they'll sell out online in 6 minutes.
                      Rob
                      Daddy's "Hooligan" - MK4 R32 in Deep Blue Pearl
                      Mommy's "Gran Turismo" - E70 X5M in Black Sapphire Metallic

GONE... BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:

The Family "Muscle Car" - B7 RS4 in Misano Red - Dad's 20th Anniversary "Wanna-be R32" GTi

Comment

Originally posted by Deuce View Post
                        But one can always say that... a better question is... what would you buy new instead of a R400 for $55K?

Personally... I'd rather have the "Mack-Daddy" VW Golf than an entry-level base Audi, BMW or Mercedes. Which is basically why I generally buy used since I'd rather have something higher up the brand food-chain than I can usually afford.

My prediction: 50 of the R400's will come to Canada and they'll sell out online in 6 minutes.
                        There's a ton of base 3-series and C-classes in Calgary, which supports my earlier statement.

If it's a limited edition, it'll be a hit. If it's part of Volkswagen's regular line-up, it'll fail.

Don

sigpic

Comment

MKV GTI
                          '73 Westfalia

Comment

does it look widebody? cause the concept was...
                            2002 VW Golf GT TDI
                            2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

That just looks exactly like the MK7 R with addition to a "bigger" wing, and custom wheels. Boooooooooooring.
                              Currently own: 2012 Golf 2.5 Sportsline Small modifs: ST Coils, VMR V710 18x8.5

Comment

Looks more like a regular R with some options, but it could be a drivetrain mule for the R400.
                                Blair
                                Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Working...
                                X