twopointslow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• twopointslow

well, I haven't really introduced myself very much, I just kind of showed up. But I figured I would take the time now to introduce myself, and what I drive and whatnot. Buckle up kids, this is gonna be a long one! My name is Drew, im 17 years old, and I drive a 2003 Volkswagen golf CL. The golf is my very first car.

Heres how it looked the first day I brought it home:

I bought the car for $4600, with 146,000 kilometers on it. Automatic transmission because no one ever taught me stick. winter and summer tires included. At the time of purchasing, I really just wanted a car to drive. I was pretty much desperate for a car. After looking at numerous cars (mostly mazdas) I stumbled upon the golf. Sure it doesn't have automatic locks and windows, and the small 2.0l engine only produces 115 horsepower. But the way i look at it is, is that its my first car, and im going to have a hell of a time fixing it, modding it, and overall, enjoying it. Looking back, I probably should've held off and bought something with a little more pep and features, but as mentioned before, all i wanted to do was drive. im sure some of you felt the same way when you got your first car/license

Washed up:

After owning the car for a few weeks, i realized some of the problems with the golf. most of which has been fixed now. for starters, the car had been in an accident from previous owners. from looking at the car proof, I dont think it was too serious considering its still active status instead of rebuilt. the accident resulted in some new panels, which I dont think fit the car properly. second, the windshield washer sprayers in the front were broken. besides those minor issues, there wasnt much else wrong. just the typical scratches expected with an 11 year old used car. once I fixed the problems, the modding began!

Most of my mods that I plan on doing wont be under the hood. there isnt much point trying to soup up a 2.0. that being said, I began with some angel eye headlights. I think they're a really nice look

a badgeless grill (which im not really digging anymore due to how cheap it is) was my second purchase

And the last few mods (that some people may or may not agree with) are some stickers. I mostly have them because i think they're pretty funny, and kind of represent my personality. its pretty funny seeing peoples reactions to some of them.

150,000 kms

and the last thing ive done (as of 20/05/2014) stickerbomb mirrors. not too sure if its gonna stay or not

I plan on getting some bigger and better rims, as well as some coil overs. also have some other stuff planned thats a secret! I hope all of you will continue to follow my journey with my first car. Chances are, you have or will see me at meets. I LOVE THEM!!!! anyways, thats it for tonight.

D R E W

Re: twopointslow

Buy my stuff!
    8v Society#35
    MK4 2.0T
    &
    MK4 24v VR6 GLI

Comment

Looks like a great first car to pick up. I went through the exact same car buying process when I bought my first VW, checked with the Mazdas and Hondas etc. I'm glad i got the VW and I'm sure you will feel the same way right now too.
      Just as a suggestion for a first time car owner I would recommend making sure the maintenance such as timing belt and water pump are up to snuff before jumping on too many modifications. This will also give you time to save up your money a bit and plan the mods for your car instead of jumping on a few cheap random pieces that don't fit together as a theme very well.
      Excited to see you coming out to the meets and hopefully we can help you out along the way if you hit any rough patches or need some help wrenching

Comment

took it to george at tunedub the first week i owned it and had it checked out and fixed. all is well!
        D R E W

Comment

My first car was also a mk4 2.0. It's the perfect first car and student car. Thumbs up.

Comment

Good choice as a first car!
            --
            Rod
            Ex-presidente

Drive

2016 VW Golf .:R

Drove
            2001.5 Audi S4 / Santorin Blue STAGE II+ / JFonz Tuned

Comment

Welcome to the 2.0 Club!!

I also had a black 4 door 2.0 auto golf for about 7 years. Was a great car and as long as you do the required maintenance, that car will never die. I sold mine last year with 236,xxxkm and shes still running strong today. Enjoy it!
              ~Tracy~
              MKV VW .:R32 // BMW E30 M-Tech II // Audi A4 Avant
              Instagram @tlarkus

Comment

My 2.0L is still going strong also with 340km on it. If you take care of it you will be very happy with it.

Comment

Nice to see another vw owner going car crazy. If you ever need help with anything if be more than happy to lend a hand. 2.0s are a blast. My mk3 was a 2.0 and I learned so much with it. Good on gas, peppy and parts are cheap!
                  Coils should only run you like $400.
                  Also, I would recommend a pod filter/cold air for your next mod. Doesn't do anything for power really, but makes it sound waaaayyy better. $40 at Auto Value for one of the ones they have there.
                  Make sure not to buy a k&n. The oil will coat your MAF sensor and ruin it and that's a $200+ sensor. I only run dry filters.
                  Evan

Brilliant Black B6 A4 1.8T

Comment

Originally posted by hooddub View Post
                    Nice to see another vw owner going car crazy. If you ever need help with anything if be more than happy to lend a hand. 2.0s are a blast. My mk3 was a 2.0 and I learned so much with it. Good on gas, peppy and parts are cheap!
                    Also, I would recommend a pod filter/cold air for your next mod. Doesn't do anything for power really, but makes it sound waaaayyy better. $40 at Auto Value for one of the ones they have there.
                    Make sure not to buy a k&n. The oil will coat your MAF sensor and ruin it and that's a $200+ sensor. I only run dry filters.
                    Second hand nos kit should be around 400 dolla too!
                    Current Fleet
                    #ProjectICreate Jetta GLI32
                    2001 Cobra #88/3786
                    1989 Jetta Trophy 1 of 500
                    2004 Audi A2 FSI Colour Storm RHD
                    2015 B8.5 S4 Sepang/Technik/6MT/SD/AAD/CF

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

Originally posted by hooddub View Post
                      thanks for the comment! it really has made me a bit "car crazy" not gonna lie. I dont really know much about cars, but im looking forward to learning more and more. I plan on getting some coils, and i'll look into getting a cold air filter. window tint and a new sound system are also in the plans. I dont find it as good on gas as i was expecting. i usually only get around 400km's a tank, and costs around $60 a week. as for it being peppy, in the first year yes haha. Not sure if it would be worth my time or money to do any engine mods wish i could've found a gti or 1.8t at the time of purchasing a car. next car though!
                      D R E W

Comment

Don't do any engine mods other than a filter.

As for gas mileage, that's surprising. I was getting minimum 500 to a tank, and that was if I was driving the crap out of it all the time. Usually got 700 to a tank.

Comment

x2 on the gas mileage... i can get 500 out of my VR6
                          Jason

"You dont buy a Volkswagen once, you buy it ten times."
                          ---Samuel Moore

Instagram: @Wangtastic
                          PM me to get your car detailed! - Brightside Detailing

Comment

Great choice as a first car! Can't wait to see what you have in store
                            Martin
                            I.G. @mferrariomk5
                            Slow MK5 GTI
                            Basic B8 S4

Comment

I get 330-400km on 50L of 94 octane in the city depending on how I drive (12.5-15.1L/100km), but manages to run(100-160km/h no crazy speed here) 1280km on 97L of 94 octane between Kelowna and Calgary, 7.58L/100km... Your gas mileage is horrible, something must be wrong with it, my classmate's 2.slow gets something like 650km on 50L of 87 octane (7.69L/100km) with a check engine light on lol
                              Current Fleet
                              #ProjectICreate Jetta GLI32
                              2001 Cobra #88/3786
                              1989 Jetta Trophy 1 of 500
                              2004 Audi A2 FSI Colour Storm RHD
                              2015 B8.5 S4 Sepang/Technik/6MT/SD/AAD/CF

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

Working...
                              X