Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Coilovers or bags

Originally posted by Adcodo View Post
    Bringing this thread back. After doing a lot of research I think I'm read to buy within the next couple weeks. I've decided to go thru Urotuning because of their good prices (especially with the Canadian dollar ATM). The Airlift 3P has been out for sometime now and most of the bugs should be gone as well it features some cool features over the V2. I just need one last input to see if the set up so good.

Front Bags:AirLift Slam Series XL
    Rear Bags:SS-5 Bags with IDF Brackets
    Rear Shocks: KONI yellow
    Air Tank:4 Gallon (Face Ports) - Polished
    Air Line Size:3/8 INCH
    Compressor: Dual 444C
    Compressor Check Valve: Dual SMC Check Valve Kit
    Water Trap Kit: Single SMC 1/4
    Power Supply Kit:Built In Single Compressor Wiring

Also since I wanna be able to lay the frame, so the front sway bar is gonna be removed but I'm thinking of buying an H&R 25mm rear sway bar at the same time as the airlift to sort of compensate for the front being removed
    Sounds like a winning combo. You should put the tank against the trunk door, so you have maximum space of the trunk. How much is dual Viair vs. one AZ? Just curious.

Let us know about the new management. I love how the V2 was so derpy simple. Don't have to deal with leveling sensors. Ugh.

Pressure relief valve is good, or a nice easy-to-turn drain valve for the tank.
    Fly with me on Instagram!:/:Travel Blog Tickle Your Fancy? Click This!:/:YouTube

Don

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Adcodo View Post
      Bringing this thread back. After doing a lot of research I think I'm read to buy within the next couple weeks. I've decided to go thru Urotuning because of their good prices (especially with the Canadian dollar ATM). The Airlift 3P has been out for sometime now and most of the bugs should be gone as well it features some cool features over the V2. I just need one last input to see if the set up so good.

Front Bags:AirLift Slam Series XL
      Rear Bags:SS-5 Bags with IDF Brackets
      Rear Shocks: KONI yellow
      Air Tank:4 Gallon (Face Ports) - Polished
      Air Line Size:3/8 INCH
      Compressor: Dual 444C
      Compressor Check Valve: Dual SMC Check Valve Kit
      Water Trap Kit: Single SMC 1/4
      Power Supply Kit:Built In Single Compressor Wiring

Also since I wanna be able to lay the frame, so the front sway bar is gonna be removed but I'm thinking of buying an H&R 25mm rear sway bar at the same time as the airlift to sort of compensate for the front being removed
      Seems like a good setup.
      You probably won't need a rear sway, you have a GLI so you actually have a decent rear sway built into the rear beam itself. I don't find that it is bad at all.
      Laying frame is 100% dependent on your tire and wheel setup, so don't be disappointed if you are still 1/4" from laying frame. You need to bash up your upper fender pinch welds in your wheel well as well as make sure you aren't on poly control arms and you should get quite low still. I'm still a smidge above the ground with my subframe but it doesn't bother me since it keeps my GLI lip from getting too squished.

Also i sent ya a text.

Comment

If you get a 25mm rsb on top of removing the front sway it'll be massive oversteer when you drive hard... GLI rear beam has 22.7mm torsion bar in it instead of 17mm like the normal Jettas, torsion bar not exactly sway bar but sort of do similar things I guess. If you have to get a sway bar get an autotech adjustable one, I'll be getting this soon because it's lighter, maintenance free bushings and price is quite a bit better than h&r ones.
        Current Fleet
        #ProjectICreate Jetta GLI32
        2001 Cobra #88/3786
        1989 Jetta Trophy 1 of 500
        2004 Audi A2 FSI Colour Storm RHD
        2015 B8.5 S4 Sepang/Technik/6MT/SD/AAD/CF

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

Originally posted by kujiwara View Post
          If you get a 25mm rsb on top of removing the front sway it'll be massive oversteer when you drive hard... GLI rear beam has 22.7mm torsion bar in it instead of 17mm like the normal Jettas, torsion bar not exactly sway bar but sort of do similar things I guess. If you have to get a sway bar get an autotech adjustable one, I'll be getting this soon because it's lighter, maintenance free bushings and price is quite a bit better than h&r ones.
          Is the 22.7mm torsion bar on 2004.5 GLI's and 2003 GLI's with the VR6 or just the 2004.5?
          Tyler

vinylappeal.com

Comment

Torsion beams and sway bars are completely different things. Mk4's have torsion beam rear ends with sway bars. Brings his car is a gli (factory sport suspension) he'll have the big rear away bar.
            Last edited by idlandk; 02-22-2016, 01:35 PM.
            2002 Jetta TDI
            2003 Jazz Blue GTI
            1981 Rabbit Truck Diesel

Comment

The bar that is included within the rear beam in a mk4 provides the exact same function as a sway bar, to transfer load from one side of the vehicle to the other by means of a twisted bar. Instead of the standard bolt on sway bar curving at the end and then attached with end links, it is simply welded to the beam itself for simplicity. A torsion bar is different than that because it has a static mounting point on one side.

Semantics aside; he will have this rear internal bar which is larger than the standard mk4, making a rear sway bar less of a necessity. I have even heard of people putting their aftermarket bolt on rsb on the softest setting because it created too much oversteer. I am not running an additional RSB, i don't find that the body roll is significant at all; but then again i don't drive it very hard at all.

I would personally just get the air suspension kit right now, cut out the front sway and see if you need that additional rear stiffness in the future. It is a very easy option to add afterwards and you aren't saving any time installing it at the same time as the rear suspension.
              Last edited by MechEngg; 02-22-2016, 03:38 PM. Reason: over vs under, basically the same thing....right?

Comment

Originally posted by idlandk View Post
                Torsion beams and sway bars are completely different things. Mk4's have torsion beam rear ends with sway bars. Brings his car is a gli (factory sport suspension) he'll have the big rear away bar.
                MK4's did not come from factory with a rear sway bar, just a beam with the torsion bar.

Originally posted by MechEngg View Post
                The bar that is included within the rear beam in a mk4 provides the exact same function as a sway bar, to transfer load from one side of the vehicle to the other by means of a twisted bar. Instead of the standard bolt on sway bar curving at the end and then attached with end links, it is simply welded to the beam itself for simplicity. A torsion bar is different than that because it has a static mounting point on one side.

Semantics aside; he will have this rear internal bar which is larger than the standard mk4, making a rear sway bar less of a necessity. I have even heard of people putting their aftermarket bolt on rsb on the softest setting because it created too much understeer. I am not running an additional RSB, i don't find that the body roll is significant at all; but then again i don't drive it very hard at all.

I would personally just get the air suspension kit right now, cut out the front sway and see if you need that additional rear stiffness in the future. It is a very easy option to add afterwards and you aren't saving any time installing it at the same time as the rear suspension.
                A rear sway bar would cause oversteer, not under.
                Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
                2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

Originally posted by BaggedGLI View Post
                  MK4's did not come from factory with a rear sway bar, just a beam with the torsion bar.

A rear sway bar would cause oversteer, not under.
                  Yup that is what i meant lol. Too much rotation. Will edit in my post.

Comment

Fly with me on Instagram!:/:Travel Blog Tickle Your Fancy? Click This!:/:YouTube

Don

sigpic

Comment

Yep, you're right. I stand corrected.
                      2002 Jetta TDI
                      2003 Jazz Blue GTI
                      1981 Rabbit Truck Diesel

Comment

Originally posted by VW337 View Post
                        Is the 22.7mm torsion bar on 2004.5 GLI's and 2003 GLI's with the VR6 or just the 2004.5?
                        I'm sure the 04.5 have it because I just bought a vin matching one from the dealer, I think the 03gli also has it too.
                        Last edited by kujiwara; 02-22-2016, 10:49 PM.
                        Current Fleet
                        #ProjectICreate Jetta GLI32
                        2001 Cobra #88/3786
                        1989 Jetta Trophy 1 of 500
                        2004 Audi A2 FSI Colour Storm RHD
                        2015 B8.5 S4 Sepang/Technik/6MT/SD/AAD/CF

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

Working...
                        X