VW in trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: VW in trouble

I am with Blair here, i do not think by any means that this is a way to "get out" of the problem by tricking a % of the population into agreeing to something. That would be the most ill conceived idea that VW would have ever had, even worse IMO than the original fiasco.

I personally believe that this good will gesture will be used for two reasons:
    1 - To begin an attempt at retaining customers / saying sorry to the public
    2 - To start engaging the actual amount of vehicles still on the road which require repair. This will help them to gauge exactly what their costs will be for all these repairs and what type of trouble they are actually in. Right now there is just production numbers out there for how many vehicles are still on the road, but that doesn't take into account the number in accidents or written off.

I do believe with all this being said that if you do take you vehicle in, then there is a very good chance that you are going to have to agree with your vehicle being repaired. Basically i think in the agreement you sign that you will have to get your vehicle repaired, and this will be what the EPA is looking for, a way for the majority of the vehicles effected to be fixed and this is what VW is offering up here; they are buying information.

Comment

Originally posted by MechEngg View Post
      I am with Blair here, i do not think by any means that this is a way to "get out" of the problem by tricking a % of the population into agreeing to something. That would be the most ill conceived idea that VW would have ever had, even worse IMO than the original fiasco.

I personally believe that this good will gesture will be used for two reasons:
      1 - To begin an attempt at retaining customers / saying sorry to the public
      2 - To start engaging the actual amount of vehicles still on the road which require repair. This will help them to gauge exactly what their costs will be for all these repairs and what type of trouble they are actually in. Right now there is just production numbers out there for how many vehicles are still on the road, but that doesn't take into account the number in accidents or written off.

I do believe with all this being said that if you do take you vehicle in, then there is a very good chance that you are going to have to agree with your vehicle being repaired. Basically i think in the agreement you sign that you will have to get your vehicle repaired, and this will be what the EPA is looking for, a way for the majority of the vehicles effected to be fixed and this is what VW is offering up here; they are buying information.
      Good post. This strategy will push some customers away from the dealer, and to the independent shops -- to retain their performance. The catch of course, is potentially not collecting any compensation.
      Cam

2004 VW R32 Turbo

Comment

Yeah, it sounds like EPA wants results and would frown upon incentives alone, without actually requiring the fix to be done. However, I think any cash incentive will actually increase their total number of recalls substantially, as from what I understand, the US's response to recalls is typically very low.
        I'm curious what VW's responsibility is on a car that has been modified. If their software no longer exists in it's OEM "cheating" state, would they have any obligation to do anything?
        Stefan
        -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
        -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
        -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
        -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

So apparently it is a $500 prepaid credit card + $500 VW dealership credit.

I do wonder though, if VW is caught doing this, how long before another company is caught too? I doubt the're the only ones...
          Last edited by witchcraftz; 11-10-2015, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by witchcraftz View Post

I do wonder though, if VW is caught doing this, how long before another company is caught too? I doubt the're the only ones...

I'm sure somewhere there is a dark room full of guys on VW payroll looking for some other car company to draw the media attention away from VW... hah.
            Stefan
            -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
            -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Lots of others have been caught, not only on this go around but within the last 10-15 years.
              Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
              2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

i rather they extend the power train warranty. only because i plan to keep the car. most probably want to off load it.
                Ken

2012 VW JETTA TDI
                2000 VW JETTA 2.0 - Old ride

Comment

"Volkswagen’s Unlikely Problem: Dealerships Don’t Have Enough Cars to Sell"
                  http://time.com/money/4114292/volksw...low-inventory/

Comment

Originally posted by Danaldson View Post
                    "Volkswagen’s Unlikely Problem: Dealerships Don’t Have Enough Cars to Sell"
                    http://time.com/money/4114292/volksw...low-inventory/

Well when you take away all the diesels and then anything with at gas 1.8 or 2.0. Not much left in the model lineup in in NA to sell. It is the dealers that you have to really feel for. This has nothing to do with them and their revenue is commission based.

Comment

Anyone looked into the fine print of the payout... I mean loyalty retention.
                      Name: Brent
                      His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
                      Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
                      Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall View Post
                        Anyone looked into the fine print of the payout... I mean loyalty retention.
                        Have the details for Canada been released anywhere yet?
                        Jeff

2017 Sportwagen
                        2016 .:R (sold)
                        2013 Golf TDI Wolfsburg (sold)
                        2001.5 Audi S4 (sold)

Comment

Nothing yet for Canada. I'm hoping it'll be enough to upgrade to navigation

Sent from my KF
                          Isaac

Instagram:@ipetersphotog
                          Then: 2000 Jetta 2.0L (2005-2012)
                          Now: 2012 Golf TDI

Comment

Originally posted by snipa_mini85 View Post
                            Nothing yet for Canada. I'm hoping it'll be enough to upgrade to navigation

Sent from my KF
                            Too late me radio already died and I replaced it. Man they should be getting bent over about the quality of those radios in those years too. Have read about hundreds dying.
                            Name: Brent
                            His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
                            Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
                            Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Looks like TDI Touareg finally made the list.
                              Stefan
                              -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

The Volkswagen Group has announced European owners of affected TDI cars will not receive compensations.

A couple of weeks ago, Volkswagen of America revealed the “Goodwill Package” tailored to US owners of affected TDI cars. It contains a $500 prepaid Visa gift card, a $500 gift card to be used at any VW dealership, and three years of 24-hour road assistance. If affected Euro owners were hoping to get a similar deal, Volkswagen says that won’t happen.

In an interview with Automotive News Europe, a company spokesman clearly said that “financial compensation will exclusively be offered to customers in the U.S. and Canada.” Volkswagen does promise it will try to take the necessary measures to make sure Euro owners will be inconvenienced as little as possible and will pay all of their the CO2 tax differences.

While in United States there are around 482,000 affected owners, on the old continent there are no less than 8.5 million cars equipped with rigged TDI engines. Volkswagen explains that only US customers will get the aforementioned “Goodwill Package” because they bought a car advertised as a “Clean Diesel.” In addition, VW specifies these clients purchased a vehicle equipped with an engine belonging in a niche market compared to Europe where more than 50% of new cars sold are diesels.

Volkswagen mentions it has developed a fix for the 1.6 TDI and 2.0 TDI EA189 engines and will soon have ready a software tweak for the remaining 1.2 TDI also part of the EA189 family.
                                Blair
                                Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Working...
                                X