2006 Jetta TDI - Error Code P0101

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2006 Jetta TDI - Error Code P0101

Installed the lifters and camshaft with a new set of bolts and smeared everything in assembly lube. Got a mid sized torque wrench on sale at PA and got the camshaft replaced.

Also re-attached the tandem fuel pump (with new gasket), and put some other bits back (air filter, EGR, etc...)

I can do the water pump yet, but timing will have to wait for the crank lock to show up....
    Last edited by stefan; 03-31-2016, 08:58 PM.
    Stefan
    -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
    -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
    -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
    -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Good work Stefan!!!
      Hers 2009 Audi A4 6sp manual
      Mine....2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, colour matched Huffs. Frostheater

Comment

Glad you got it back together so far, let me know if you need any advice for the belt install.
        Ben
        2016 Ram 3500 Laramie
        2000 Jetta TDi, Dead and removing parts
        2005 Passat Wagon TDi, 310,000 km's and counting, BSM delete done....Trans died going to replace
        Her's
        2016 Toyota Highlander XLE Pearl White

Comment

Pulled out water pump today. after removing the motor mount on that side.

There was more leftover coolant in there than I anticipated!

Fortunately, there was floor-dry near by.

New pump, tensioner and idler pulley in place

Everything that has been replaced
          Stefan
          -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
          -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Metalnerd crank lock showed up:

And the timing belt is installed:

Stefan
            -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Quick work! I've been meaning to buy that metalnerd crank tool but haven't gotten around to it.

Was it better than the old style?

Comment

Nice work man. Good pics and write up! Coolant always seems like it's about finished and then it pukes out an extra 1/2L that it had on standby just waiting for you to move the drip tray. At least that's my experience.
                2001 Jetta TDI GL Silver
                Malone Tune stage 5+ ,VNT17-22Turbo, OMI, PP Race Pipe, PD 150 Intake, 2 1/2" Straight back exhaust, no mufflers, 2 1/2" downpipe straight no Cat, Race 520 Injectors, 11mm Fuel Pump, Lift Pump, EGR Delete mod,DC Stage IV Clutch, Michelin X-Ice 2's, 26 lb/s of boost alll day long, Smoking like a train!

Comment

So this is pretty much wrapped up. Last night I fired it up and nothing blew up! As for the metalnerd tool, I never used the previous one, but this one seemed pretty easy - no complaints!

I let it run for a while and checked out the torsion value with VCDS. The timing was -2.5 on the retarded side, although within spec (I think spec is between -2.5 and +2.5). I loosened and tweaked the cam sprocket and got it slightly advanced, which seems to be the preference from what I read. Torsion value sits at +0.5 now. While in there, I checked the injection quantities for good measure, and found they were a little wonky, so I'm going to run a can of straight diesel purge through it and try to clean that up.

I'll get the wheels and skid plate on tonight and go for a test drive, but it looks like it was a successful repair!

To do's on this car when time/money/cheap parts come available:
                  -Suspension - If anyone is upgrading or going back to stock and has spare stuff, let me know. OEM or max 1" drop would be fine. Looking for cheap, and less than 310,000km!
                  -Hood - has been resprayed and some paint flaked. I tried to touch it up and it didn't go well at all. I'm going to watch for a Platinum Gray parts car, or maybe vinyl the hood. If sister decides to keep the car after she graduates, we can look in to a pro respray at that time.

**And thanks a bunch to the guys who helped me out with tools and advise!
                  Last edited by stefan; 04-08-2016, 09:13 AM.
                  Stefan
                  -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

I did a diesel purge today. The car didn't look as bad as it did the other day. Maybe my spirited cruising around helped. Either way, a purge was overdue. Also accidentally changed something on my phone and ended up with bad pics...

Here is the IQ Deviation values at the start.

Clamped off and disconnected filter. Probably not needed, but I had the clamps and wanted to save some mess. Out of the two hoses that are clamped here, the top one goes to the tandem pump, and then to injectors, and the bottom hose is the return.

Got the homebrew purge tool ready:

Can of Diesel Purge from Natty:

Hook it all up. Line to tandem pump fro mason jar is filtered with an inline fuel filter. Return comes back to mason jar. Don't forget there is another pump in the tank to deal with, so loop the feed and return from the filter with a piece of fuel line do that can continue to run without issue:

Run the car, but up the diesel purge!

The result was a more responsive car, as well as slightly better IQ Deviation numbers.
                    Last edited by stefan; 04-12-2016, 10:05 PM.
                    Stefan
                    -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Awesome! The diesel purge works wonders.
                      Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
                      2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

Working...
                      X