Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New 911 GT3 (991)

Originally posted by P Arkus View Post
    I Cant speak for everyone, but as for me its not about how good the transmission is, its about the missed feeling of a 3rd pedal. And I would assume that is what most enthusiast like so much. In my mind there is no question about the fact that the DSG is a much faster and better transmission. I have driven a few DSG cars and the shifting is unbelievably quick and smooth. But even as great as it is, I cant help but feel like a part of my full driving experience is missing since I dont have the clutch to press down and the shifter to throw into the next gear.
    This.

I love the DSG transmission in my GTI... It makes the power delivery very smooth and it's very quick. It's a great transmission. That being said, I can't wait to get into a MK4 R32 so that I can have a proper manual transmission again.
    Scott
    '23 Audi Q5 Technik | Ultra Blue Metallic | Black​
    '01 DC5 Honda Integra Type R | Championship White | Red

Comment

any car that uses technology to control the what the driver is doing, and over ride it, sucks. automatic transmissions drive you. you don't drive them. i don't care what you wanna call it. it's an automatic, therefore, the car is driving you. you don't even have to know how to parallel park any more. fvcking stupid.
      you probably don't like me because someone else said they didn't lol. <3

Comment

Originally posted by 100%VAGitarian View Post
        any car that uses technology to control the what the driver is doing, and over ride it, sucks. automatic transmissions drive you. you don't drive them. i don't care what you wanna call it. it's an automatic, therefore, the car is driving you. you don't even have to know how to parallel park any more. fvcking stupid.
        I largely agree, obviously, but you're taking the sentiment a tad too far IMHO.

If you don't want modern tech in your cars, why not revert back to carburetors (--> EFI), incandescent lights (--> adaptive LEDs), et al? At some point the technology will overcome the heyday resistance.

Granted I'd like to have a five cylinder mechanical injection turbo diesel typ89 quattro someday... with an obvious manual trans so I'll be the kettle and you can be the pot
        Last edited by PRY4SNO; 03-09-2013, 12:37 AM.
        Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

Candy White 2010 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI 6 speed /// #farmenwagen
        Indigo Pearl Effect 1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
        Brilliant Black 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

Comment

Originally posted by 100%VAGitarian View Post
          I think that's a bit exaggerated. You're pretty much saying all automatics are the same though, which I totally disagree with. Most autos I've driven over the past few years (my XC, '07 MDX, '07 Camry, and others) have been slow and jerky. My DSG is fast, smooth, and lively. I have complete control over it when it's in the manual mode except for the clutch. When it's in the sport mode, it'll rev right up to the red line and it'll downshift at 3-4k RPM. Same goes for my uncle's S4 with the S-Tronic. I still don't like the majority of automatics out there, but I love the DSG. IMO, until you've driven one and lived with it for a while, you won't see the beauty of it.
          Last edited by CGY_GTI; 03-09-2013, 01:10 AM.
          Scott
          '23 Audi Q5 Technik | Ultra Blue Metallic | Black​
          '01 DC5 Honda Integra Type R | Championship White | Red

Comment

there's a huge difference between the technology used for safety items and those used to control the way the car is driven. EFI is great as far as reliability and drivability is concerned but it's largely controlled by an ECU, that you can reprogram to suit your driving needs. useful technology. turning off skid control, for example, is a great idea. it allows you to drive the car without it interfering. you can't turn off an automatic. i agree that the tech in those trannys is good but it still isn't the same as banging gears. i've driven plenty of DSG, tip, whatever cars and it's true they shift fast but IMO, sucks balls as i personally don't feel like i'm in control of the car. my experience shows that they cost a ton of money to repair and i'm not down with huge repair bills on my cars. not to mention these things are mostly dealer repair items which takes away from the small guy who want's to open a private shop.
            you probably don't like me because someone else said they didn't lol. <3

Comment

Originally posted by GINCH View Post
              So sick of the lack of manual transmissions being offered on all my future dream cars!!!! I don't give a **** that the car is 10 seconds faster around the ring or that it is 0.4 seconds faster to 60 mph. I want to change my own gears damnit!!!!!
              This is why I ended up buying my B8 S4 over the C63 I was looking at.
              Tint sucks

Comment

Think Apple will replace my computer for drool in the keyboard and trackpad? Or is bodily fluid considered liquid damage?
                I take pictures for money.

Comment

man drool? lol
                  2002 VW Golf GT TDI
                  2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

back to the transmissions..

we were talking about this at the last monthly meet and someone said they dont' doubt you'll see a fake clutch pedal come down the road soon that you simply push down to get the feeling even though its not doing anything or maybe it does the double paddle in like on the PDK

Comment

I personally can't wait until they are so far advanced I can get in a car and push a button and just play with my phone or have a nap while the car takes me to work... lol!
                      sigpic
                      Urban Expressions Wheel & Tire
                      Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
                      Calgary Alberta, T2E6L5
                      888.769.1772 Toll Free
                      403.769.1771 tel
                      403.769.1773 fax
                      bob@urbanexp.ca

Comment

Originally posted by tirebob View Post
                        I personally can't wait until they are so far advanced I can get in a car and push a button and just play with my phone or have a nap while the car takes me to work... lol!
                        Me too! But only to a point... a GT3 is meant to be a focused track car that you can use every day. They're dumbing down this special marque too much in my opinion...
                        Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

Candy White 2010 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI 6 speed /// #farmenwagen
                        Indigo Pearl Effect 1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
                        Brilliant Black 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

Comment

Well this is the way the tech is going, the early indications are also saying the GT3 RS will also be PDK only with even more aggressive shifting and it should debut late in the year.

I still understand the complaints but with this still being a race oriented car giving drivers the fastest and best shifts possible is required to get those better lap times. As much fun as a manual transmission is, that technology is lagging behind the rest of the car for speed and efficiency, really how many race cars have had manual shifting over the last few years, it is pretty much an outdated aspect of a performance car.

I do think there is still a place for manuals but in your higher tier sports cars is not where that will be, it will be your lower end cars where the cost of these advanced transmissions will be too much for the price point.
                          Blair
                          Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

go drive a semi if you want to have some fun swinging a big dong all day long
                            Last edited by bart; 03-21-2013, 05:42 AM.
                            2002 VW Golf GT TDI
                            2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

lol bart

the other thing about PDK is it increases reliability of the cars. you take out the stupid person from the scenario and you dont have clutches burning up and all kinds of other issues that are human input related.

love them or hate them they are here to stay
                              Team Highschool
                              Twin Turbo Turbo Smurf Avant

www.ctsturbo.com - the home for all your turbo needs. PM me for details.

Comment

I think there is three sides to the racing debate when it comes to it being a track/race car

The track day lapping guy wants the ***** shift so he can brag about his fastest lap

The company Porsche wants to make a car that is so much faster around the track than any other car that a retarded hamster named Timmy could win a race with it.

The racer wants to beat his fellow racer if the car he is driving is that much faster than the competition than it is an empty victory as mentioned above he could be replaced by Timmy the hamster. He would rather be in control of the shifting as missing a shift is part of the art of driving.

But what do I know I race a four speed manual in a car with no power steering.
                                2020 Toyota Corolla Hatch (At least its a Manual!)
                                2001 Audi S4 (Trunk still smells like Ryan?)
                                2001 Audi A4 - RIP
                                2004 Mygale SJ04 - Racecar
                                2013 Toyota Sienna - Baby Transporter
                                2001.5 Audi S4 -SOLD
                                1986 Reynard SF86 -SOLD
                                2003 Jetta GLI - Garbage bin

Comment

Working...
                                X