New 911 GT3 (991)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New 911 GT3 (991)

I think everyone will agree that the apogee of F1 was in the days of the 1000+ hp turbo manual cars. And the early days, when they smoked in the pits. Back when men were men.

Driving a GT3 is supposed to conjure some of those emotions. As much as I accept that the flappy paddles are here to stay, my money will go to a 993 because that's where the romance is.
    Last edited by PRY4SNO; 03-21-2013, 09:39 AM.
    Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

Candy White 2010 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI 6 speed /// #farmenwagen
    Indigo Pearl Effect 1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
    Brilliant Black 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

Comment

Originally posted by PRY4SNO View Post
      Back when men were men.
      ^ This. PS. If anyone has an "old" and "slower" 997 GT3 or GT3RS for sale... let me know!
      Rob
      Daddy's "Hooligan" - MK4 R32 in Deep Blue Pearl
      Mommy's "Gran Turismo" - E70 X5M in Black Sapphire Metallic

GONE... BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:

The Family "Muscle Car" - B7 RS4 in Misano Red - Dad's 20th Anniversary "Wanna-be R32" GTi

Comment

Lol and the earth is flat , and we should all have a slave to do our work ,,, progress requires change and i love pdk, manuals are ok but you cant complain about keeping both hands on the wheel when driving hard . also never loose a syncro again .
        sigpic

Comment

I hear what you are saying but I seem to remember a few years ago you were saying the opposite, looking to buy an old lotus and talking about how those cars just were more mechanical :P
          KR
          Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Originally posted by turbomeyers View Post
            i love pdk, manuals are ok but you cant complain about keeping both hands on the wheel when driving hard .
            Sure can! Shouldn't be changing gears in a corner that tight anyways.
            Last edited by PRY4SNO; 04-16-2013, 03:24 PM.

Comment

if you every get to own one i assure you you wont complain .The gt3 is about pure driving and i don't care what anyone ethugs . Dual clutch gearbox is the best way to focus 100% on the driving. if you want to play with the stick its still there, just moves different .I am not a race car driver and honestly there is only one maybe two actual race car drivers on this site , they will tell you if you want to go fast on a track (GT3 main goal) pdk dsg any dual clutch setup is the way to go .Roger chime in here .
              sigpic

Comment

I don't think any one argues anymore that it's not the faster way does that make anybody a better driver i personally say no. A lot of things can make you go faster active dampening, active ride height, traction control the one thing in common with all these is that they take away control over parts of driving from the driver. Does this result in faster lap times Yes but i bet they could make an F1 car go around a track faster without a driver and nobody would give two f*cks about watching.

If all you care about is lap times b*tch shift is where its at but if you want to be a better driver i say stick all the way. Its like winning in the fastest car its a win but doesn't feel as good as winning in an outdated piece of **** that you hustled around the track way faster than it should ever go.
                Last edited by RSS; 04-16-2013, 09:34 PM.
                2020 Toyota Corolla Hatch (At least its a Manual!)
                2001 Audi S4 (Trunk still smells like Ryan?)
                2001 Audi A4 - RIP
                2004 Mygale SJ04 - Racecar
                2013 Toyota Sienna - Baby Transporter
                2001.5 Audi S4 -SOLD
                1986 Reynard SF86 -SOLD
                2003 Jetta GLI - Garbage bin

Comment

I feel if you want to have a "pure" driving experience nothing but a lotus exige or cater ham 7 will do . but if you ask a f1 driver if the paddle shifters took away from the drive i would guess he would say it allowed him to concentrate on the driving aspect of the race car as opposed to changing gears . I know i love the dsg . i find myself disliking my a4 when i get in it now
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by turbomeyers View Post
                    i find myself disliking my a4 when i get in it now
                    give it to me then i want a usp!

i agree with both sides though, i can see that the use of a left foot while driving makes it soo much fun, but the deg being soo fast can also make the drive alot more fun too.

Comment

drove the a4 today . still love it but kept wanting the paddles lol
                      sigpic

Comment

Ya I love the 6 speed in the b5 but I really wish I got the flappy paddles in the B8. Oh well good reason to flip it into a b9 with 7speed paddle mode. Had some track time in in R8 v10 , 911 turbo with PDK and a GT-R and have to admit I am a way better, faster and safer driver with paddles. Not by a bit but by a huge margin.

Comment

Couldn't have said it better myself... guess that's why the geniuses at blipshift made a t-shirt about it:

Comment

Originally posted by intocco View Post
                            Ya I love the 6 speed in the b5 but I really wish I got the flappy paddles in the B8. Oh well good reason to flip it into a b9 with 7speed paddle mode. Had some track time in in R8 v10 , 911 turbo with PDK and a GT-R and have to admit It was a way EASIER, faster and safer drive with paddles. Not by a bit but by a huge margin.
                            Fixed it for you.
                            Last edited by RSS; 04-20-2013, 07:39 AM.
                            2020 Toyota Corolla Hatch (At least its a Manual!)
                            2001 Audi S4 (Trunk still smells like Ryan?)
                            2001 Audi A4 - RIP
                            2004 Mygale SJ04 - Racecar
                            2013 Toyota Sienna - Baby Transporter
                            2001.5 Audi S4 -SOLD
                            1986 Reynard SF86 -SOLD
                            2003 Jetta GLI - Garbage bin

Comment

Dsg is the way to go, car just accelerates. The thing is if you're approaching a corner in two seconds and you run out of revs manual people will usually hold on to that gear, while the lightning fast transmission people can up shift and down shift without wasting time.
                              Upshift might be needed during a corner because of gear ratio.
                              Dsg vs manual is like V8 muscle vs import and turbos, old school vs techno geeks.
                              Current Fleet
                              #ProjectICreate Jetta GLI32
                              2001 Cobra #88/3786
                              1989 Jetta Trophy 1 of 500
                              2004 Audi A2 FSI Colour Storm RHD
                              2015 B8.5 S4 Sepang/Technik/6MT/SD/AAD/CF

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

Originally posted by RSS View Post
                                Fixed it for you.
                                Thanks but you didn't fix anything. My statement was that I, Me, Myself, with my current track skills am a better driver on the track with paddles. Its not just that there is no delay in selecting a gear and not removing your hands from the wheel, but it is what it frees you up from. With more concentration on all the other aspects of driving smoothly around a track, my times were drastically better. If your goal is to go the fastest around a track then that is the best tool.

Coming back to the new 911 GT3. Of the Professional drivers at the event that had access to everything from Caymans, 458s, Gallardo Superleggera up to an Aventador. The cars of choice were the 2012 911 turboS for the fastest, and the for the best handling chassis was the 2012 Carrera S. So the new GT3 has all of that rolled into one so it will be an amazing track car.

But on the street, twisty roads, for a fun afternoon of spooling up some Zoomies, you really can't go wrong with the, stir your own, 6 speed.

Comment

Working...
                                X