• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Watches! Who wears em?

Suunto Ambit 2, AWESOME!

Comment

Thats a good point Blair.
      Kyle, not once did I mock expensive watches. I just said it seems like a lot of money to be spending on a timepiece. There is no way you can compare that to buying a car.
      Stop trying to pick fights with everyone.
      Evan

Brilliant Black B6 A4 1.8T

Comment

Originally posted by hooddub View Post
        I'm a G-Shock advocate as well. Maybe one day I will buy a nice watch but for now a digital display and it being pretty much bombproof is the best.
        My brother is a big watch guru so I'll probably get some ideas from him.
        IMO buying a $10,000 is pretty stupid though. I would probably draw the line at $1,500
        Originally posted by ToXicXxX View Post
        It's also an appreciation for fine craftsmanship. Mechanical watches, especially with an inhouse movement, take a fair chunk of time to build, and are built by hand by very skilled people.

Evan, you could use the same argument saying "I don't think theres a reason to buy a car for over $10,000, because it's just a waste". $1500 will get you SFA in terms of a good mechanical watch. You'll end up with some cheap garbage movement that will blow apart in the same year, or a generic ETA (which is fine, they work great, but that isn't everyones cup of tea. And now days a lot of brands are marking a base ETA with light customization up to the 4-8K point, like Breitling).

Don't mock crafts just because you aren't knowledgeable towards them.

Look into Suunto.
        Originally posted by hooddub View Post
        Thats a good point Blair.
        Kyle, not once did I mock expensive watches. I just said it seems like a lot of money to be spending on a timepiece. There is no way you can compare that to buying a car.
        Stop trying to pick fights with everyone.
        For me, I'd spend that much cash on a watch if it was a rare one or has a special mechanism (look up 'tourbillon' for giggles!).

You'd only spend that much on a Rolex because it says Rolex. Otherwise, you'd get a base ETA because the 'craftmanship' is still there for less. Also, Rolex movements are assembled by hand and not hand-built. Big difference.

ETA, who churns out mechanisms for the manufacturers, was/is contemplating on becoming an 'exclusive' producer only to be used by brands owned by the Swatch Group (yes, the plastic watches own a bunch of the big brand names).

Don't think Evan was mocking the craft but rather the notion of buying one for that price, which he's entitled to. You just respect it and move on.

With that in mind, Suunto is a good one for exercising. There's also ones that measure elevations and GPS if you're into hiking.
        Fly with me on Instagram!:/:Travel Blog Tickle Your Fancy? Click This!:/:YouTube

Don

sigpic

Comment

Most flying tourbillions are in $100K plus watches, with a lot of other fun complications like minute repeaters, some getting into the million range. In that high end you actually start to end up with hand made pieces. They are incredibly complex, yet studies have shown they don't have any noticeable impact on accuracy.

Wasn't specifically talking about Rolex in the slightest, whom people seem to just gravitate towards because of the name. Look up Galschutte Original (part of the Swatch group), the amount of hand etched decoration is unbelievable. Especially on the Panomatic Lunar, probably one of the most beautiful watches I have ever handled.

ETA was reprimanded by the government for attempting to cut supply on ETA movements. Being that they also produce the most common chrono movement in the world, the Valijoux 7500, there really is no other alternative to reasonably priced mechanical movements, except for perhaps Seiko. Unless you feel comfortable with a Pljot, or a Seagull.

You will notice most high end manufacturers are moving to in house, Breitling recently has, sparring a massive price increase, along with Omega with the new Cal 8500 Co-Axial (in my opinion, one of the best movements out there), also brining a massive price increase, and of-coarse IWC moving to the new Spitfire series, with shockingly... A huge price increase. Even Panerai, known for using amazingly simple hand wound Unitas movements has moved to inhouse. All of these companies are moving because of ETA's threats, all it's caused is haute horlogerie to skyrocket in price and become more dependent. It would seem empty threats lead to self destruction business wise.

The cheapest 100% inhouse I can think of that has amazing quality would be Nomos. The German village of Glaschutte seems to be turning out nothing less then amazing watches from all of it's manufacturers.

All that said, you'd have to be a fool to buy new. Second hand can save up to 50%, and most WUS take care of their watches like it was a newborn.

Watches are one of my biggest interests, I could talk about them for days haha...
          Last edited by ToXicXxX; 08-18-2014, 01:22 PM.

Comment

I bought this watch about a month ago, the "citizen navihawk" and I absolutely love it. I wear it every day, and even wear it wake-boarding and playing around in the water in Penticton. A few people told me I was crazy for that, but hey...I bought it to use, not keep in my closet.

Comment

• Re: Watch Aficionados?

Merged this thread into the original Watch Aficionados? thread.
              --
              Rod
              Ex-presidente

Drive

2016 VW Golf .:R

Drove
              2001.5 Audi S4 / Santorin Blue STAGE II+ / JFonz Tuned

Comment

Those Citizens are built quite well but it's just too busy for my taste.
                Fly with me on Instagram!:/:Travel Blog Tickle Your Fancy? Click This!:/:YouTube

Don

sigpic

Comment

Eyeing this up for my next purchase.

2007 A3 3.2vr | S-line | Quattro | Brilliant Black Sold
                  2020 Glacier White A4 Allroad
                  2013 Allroad Scuba Blue

Comment

Very nice!

Not a big fan of black straps though =(

Comment

Originally posted by JW View Post
                      Very nice!

Not a big fan of black straps though =(
                      They are the silicon ones, not 100% sold on them yet haha. There are a few that are near the top of the list though.
                      2013 Allroad Scuba Blue

Comment

^You can get custom leather straps made. I got one made for my open heart el-cheapo watch and it's awesome.

Don

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by flipstah View Post
                          ^You can get custom leather straps made. I got one made for my open heart el-cheapo watch and it's awesome.
                          Not sure I even like leather ones haha only have one leather banded watch.
                          2013 Allroad Scuba Blue

Comment

I am really not a fan of silicone or leather straps, I'm a metal strap kinda guy haha

Comment

Anyone know of any skeleton/steampunk style watches? Something similar to

or

Im looking at spending maybe around 100? The ebay one is like 25 bucks haha. Im not picky about brand or anything. Just something that looks nice. I prefer a white face. But anything will do!
                              Last edited by makaheehee; 08-22-2014, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by makaheehee View Post
                                Anyone know of any skeleton/steampunk style watches? Something similar to

Im looking at spending maybe around 100? The ebay one is like 25 bucks haha. Im not picky about brand or anything. Just something that looks nice. I prefer a white face. But anything will do!
                                I have an old Swatch Irony Automatic that I got probably 10+ years ago. It was cheap with the open view of the inside - nothing fancy, but I've always liked the open look. That Fossil is much nicer looking. Bigger face, narrower bezel and just cleaner overall.

Swatch YAS100G Men's Irony Automatic See Through Skeleton Dial...

Last edited by stefan; 08-22-2014, 03:37 PM.
                                Stefan
                                -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
                                -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
                                -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
                                -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Working...
                                X