No announcement yet.

Floor Pan Swap - haldex to come...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Floor Pan Swap - haldex to come...

Originally posted by bobkatkat View Post
    Unless you are going to remove the n75 and run a MBC or aftermarket EBC and boosting over 30lbs (poor little KO4)then you are over thinking this a bit too much. If not, as Pat said just let the N75 control the boost to what ever level you want. I looks like you have a lot of room for adjustment of your actuator arm. Just preset the tension with a Mighty Vac to 12-14lbs cracking pressure. In any even you should be using a Mighty vac to set test the actual cracking pressure with or without a spring.

Hey Bob, no danger of overthinking this simple little mod - I've been doing this with success for a little over three years now.

If I remember right, VW recommends adding 2 or 3 psi of preload on the wastegate and the last thing I'd want to do is add a bunch more than than. Cranking the wastegate reduces the amount of travel on the rod and therefore the ability of your wastegate to open fully... which leads to overheating.

Here's where I first learned of this wastegate actuator spring mod but Corky Bell also makes reference to it in his book "Maximum Boost".

As mentioned, this spring mod is simply an inexpensive way of preventing your wastegate from opening prematurely in higher boost applications... the wastegate still opens fully to expel exhaust gases as soon as my target boost has been met. Check the link...
    Last edited by All_Euro; 04-12-2015, 08:42 AM.
    Work - houzz / linkedin
    Play - haldex swap

Comment

Ya the spring mod was some thing that used to be popular in the 80s and 90s on talons etc. I know that a lot of others have done a tone of testing on the KO4 framed turbos, Mantis on here seemed to find the sweet spot for actuator crack pressure and high boost for a KO4. Also there have been dyno testing. One comes to mind.

Comment

Haha - so those Talon guys were doing it before Corky Bell wrote about it... I wonder if that's where he got the idea

The primary purpose of the external spring and its other benefits are addressed in the thread I linked above. I was seriously considering an awd Talon before I bought my last Jetta though - still working on the awd part.
        Work - houzz / linkedin
        Play - haldex swap

Comment

Hopefully the strength of the welds you made trying to get that bolt out aren't indicative of the ones holding your floor and rear suspension in

Comment

Finally made time to install the new transmission - thanks for the clutch disc Natty.

I was expecting a struggle but it popped right into place thankfully. I just pulled the transfer case off and balanced the transmission on a jack - the tranny is tilted away from the firewall so it clears the subframe. Raised the jack until the spline notches into the clutch disc and then rolled the trans forward while pushing in...

In but filthy - cleaning session is in order...

I had to redo the oil drain from the turbo as it wasn't clearing the axle very well - the K03 line is a bit too short and the K04 line also has a bracket that bolts to the block so it stays out of the way of the axle. K04 top connected to the K03 bottom...

Last edited by All_Euro; 07-16-2017, 07:04 PM.
            Work - houzz / linkedin
            Play - haldex swap

Comment

no updates?!?!
              car go brum

Comment

Maybe it lit on fire from that oil return line?

Pat

His
                1989 Porsche Carrera 4 // 5 Speed // Guards Red

Hers
                1987 VW Cabriolet // 20VT // O2J // Recaros // Porsche Slate Grey // Ronal Turbos // FK Coilovers

2005 Porsche Cayenne S

Theirs
                1977 VW Type 2 Westfalia

Gone
                2004 Audi A4 1.8T // quattro // 6 Speed // Brilliant Red
                Fully built 1.8T || AEB || Motoza tuned || ID1000 || S4 MAF || GT3076R

Comment

Driveshaft is just a little too long to bolt up in one piece so you'll need to find enough play on the engine/rear diff ends or install it in two pieces and then attach... kind of messy but not too bad if you're careful - good time to swipe in fresh grease...

With these centre brackets I just bolted them up in the middle of the adjustment range and then you'll want the driveshaft to be in the middle of the trans to diff range of play. I'll get in touch with Standens to get their thoughts on driveshaft alignment and take it in if recommended - will let you guys know how I make out with that...

This picture is a little deceiving but the downpipe is only a few mill's away from the driveshaft flange - not sure what stock clearances are but thankfully it's not rubbing...

Last edited by All_Euro; 07-16-2017, 07:08 PM.
                  Work - houzz / linkedin
                  Play - haldex swap

Comment

After daily driving duties for a week or two I did hook up the precharge pump to give it a go... there are only two wires controlling it - a black ground wire and a yellow positive. I tied into a common ground location on the inside of the drivers side rear fender and then went up to the fuse box with the positive. Since I don't have a rear wiper, fuse #27 was available and retained for service.

Unfortunately, the pump was weak right from the start... both wheels were rotating at first, then just the passenger and the next day it was toast - didn't even get to drive it. I haven't pulled it out yet so I don't know if there is fluid on the wrong size of the seals or if it's a brush wear problem but a new pump will be here early next week and I'll have a look after it's replaced.

Squeaky wheel vid...

Last edited by All_Euro; 07-16-2017, 07:57 PM.
                    Work - houzz / linkedin
                    Play - haldex swap

Comment

Originally posted by 145117 View Post
                      no updates?!?!
                      I know, it's been a while... been busy chasing a vac leak and tidying up odds and ends.

Had a coolant leak from a pinched o-ring, where the hard coolant pipe attaches to the block under the thermostat, so I replaced that - other fluids are sealed nicely. Want to tidy up the catch can lines... did work on the boost pipes - extended the hard pipe above the exhaust mani as much as space allowed. Fixed turbo to mani bolts that I overtightened. Noticed some cracking on the fuel injector wires so I stripped those back and replaced them with the TT clips and protective boots...

Last edited by All_Euro; 07-16-2017, 08:09 PM.
                      Work - houzz / linkedin
                      Play - haldex swap

Comment

Installed and wired up my new precharge pump the other day... rather than order parts and repair the old pump, I just ordered a new one for about $30 extra from a seller named haldexpart on ebay. Same guy I bought the Sport Insert from - fellow enthusiast, quick shipping and no funny surprises when the parts arrived.

Re-soldered and shrink-wrapped the wires...

Little wire protection...

Originally I had planned to try full time AWD with pure Haldex fluid (just to see how bad the binding would be) and then to swap in a little LSD friction modifier at a time until the binding went away. Since I was draining fluid to replace the pump, I just exchanged 50ml of the Haldex fluid with the Red Line friction modifier that I have and called it a day. Next time I'll try 30-40 ml instead just to see if a little less will work.

As it is now though, all four wheels are active and I'm getting no binding whatsoever. I've uploaded a jack-stand vid of the new pre-charge pump in action...

Last edited by All_Euro; 07-16-2017, 08:50 PM.
                        Work - houzz / linkedin
                        Play - haldex swap

Comment

how is this awesome build progressing?
                          car go brum

Comment

Originally posted by 145117 View Post
                            how is this awesome build progressing?
                            Hey, thanks - I've been slacking but also sidetracked with other things... like rebuilding a spare cylinder head that I want to experiment with. The unfinished bits are kind of driving me nuts but project dailies are like that I suppose.

I did get the TT brackets out of back seat area though - VW brackets still waiting on install. Old brackets would have been 10x easier to take out beforehand of course...

Another one of those things that I'd been meaning to do was replace the lateral links in the rear suspension - finally did that. Really happy with these Madmax links... went over them closely before install and the quality appears top notch - build tolerances are excellent.

Madmax -vs- OEM...

Last edited by All_Euro; 07-16-2017, 08:59 PM.
                            Work - houzz / linkedin
                            Play - haldex swap

Comment

If you are going solder joints that are exposed to the elements be sure to use adhesive lined heat shrink. Otherwise water will penetrate the sheathing and rust out the joint.
                              Name: Brent
                              His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
                              Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
                              Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

That's a good tip - the stuff I used wasn't lined but the tape should help. I'll have to check for the seal periodically for now.
                                Work - houzz / linkedin
                                Play - haldex swap

Comment

Working...
                                X