No announcement yet.

Floor Pan Swap - haldex to come...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Floor Pan Swap - haldex to come...

At the moment I'm getting the exhaust together... I've got a Vibrant muffler hooked up to the down pipe now - instead of just the APR resonator - but it's still way too loud. The APR stuff doesn't mesh with the haldex friendly pan so I've got a Vibrant resonator on the way and hopefully that's civil enough for now.

Down the road, when the transmission and K04 are swapped in, I'll need a new down pipe and will likely tweak the exhaust a little too.
    Work - houzz / linkedin
    Play - haldex swap

Comment

Just an FYI, and i'm sure you probably know this, but the mk4 Jetta came as a "Bora" in Australia with the 2.8 VR6 for the top model. You may be able to look around for stuff like that as well? Although i'd imagine getting anything from oz to here would be painful with shipping.

Comment

Originally posted by ML16 View Post
        Just an FYI, and i'm sure you probably know this, but the mk4 Jetta came as a "Bora" in Australia with the 2.8 VR6 for the top model. You may be able to look around for stuff like that as well? Although i'd imagine getting anything from oz to here would be painful with shipping.
        Im pretty sure itll be cheaper to buy R32 stuff then to **** a giant heavy metal tube all the way from australia....

Goos work man! Cant wait to see this thing all bolted up
        Jason

"You dont buy a Volkswagen once, you buy it ten times."
        ---Samuel Moore

Instagram: @Wangtastic
        PM me to get your car detailed! - Brightside Detailing

Comment

Originally posted by TheJungle View Post
          Im pretty sure itll be cheaper to buy R32 stuff then to **** a giant heavy metal tube all the way from australia....

Goos work man! Cant wait to see this thing all bolted up
          Yeah for sure, but also for information on parts etc, not really to buy from there.

Comment

Originally posted by ML16 View Post
            Ya I wonder what kind of options they got that we didn't... next time I'm on the hunt I'll check that direction too instead of just the Europe area. I lived on OZ for a year but, sadly, I drove some kind of old Datsun hatchback or something... cars are expensive there!

Originally posted by TheJungle View Post
            ...Goos work man! Cant wait to see this thing all bolted up
            Thanks, I've been burning around a little but haven't started full time duties yet. I'll try to get the side skirts back on this weekend since it's supposed to be pretty toasty. Full-time driving starts this coming Sunday
            Last edited by All_Euro; 02-13-2015, 12:00 AM.
            Work - houzz / linkedin
            Play - haldex swap

Comment

Originally posted by All_Euro View Post
              Ya I wonder what kind of options they got that we didn't... next time I'm on the hunt I'll check that direction too instead of just the Europe area. I lived on OZ for a year but, sadly, I drove some kind of old Datsun hatchback or something... cars are expensive there!
              Cool man, where abouts did you live? Over east?

I know the mk4 jetta in oz came with 2.8 VR6 and 4motion. There was also a 2.Slow, and a 5 cylinder variant. I don't think we got a 1.8T, off the top of my head..?

Comment

East coast - from Sydney to Cairns. Would have loved to see the West too if time and money had allowed. The V5 is pretty tempting but parts availability is a bit of a downer - not sure about the 1.8 either.
                Work - houzz / linkedin
                Play - haldex swap

Comment

Originally posted by All_Euro View Post
                  The V5 is pretty tempting but parts availability is a bit of a downer
                  We all know I'm ED's resident 5-cylinder nutswinger, but... a VR5 is just a neutered VR6 (if it does sound better). Not worth the hassle.

While I'd prefer to see some kind of built 07k with an efr7163 in this beast down the road, I appreciate your commitment to ideal weight balance and sticking with the 1.8t
                  Last edited by PRY4SNO; 02-13-2015, 06:07 PM.
                  Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

Candy White 2010 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI 6 speed /// #farmenwagen
                  Indigo Pearl Effect 1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
                  Brilliant Black 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

Comment

Hmm... I should have said, "was pretty tempting at one point". I'd considered the V5 before the 07K was around but didn't like the idea of having a hard time getting parts.

The new 5cly is tough to beat and I did agonize over whether to do that swap or keep the 4... in the end I realized that I can have the power I want with a high-compression 2.1L so, as you mentioned, I'll stick with it for better weight distribution.

Hard to beat the torque and eerie sound of a high-strung 5 though.
                    Work - houzz / linkedin
                    Play - haldex swap

Comment

The TT and GLI have different ABS sensor connections by the back wheels so I spliced the TT end into my existing wire today - nice to be rid of that ominous warning light finally.

TT up top - GLI on bottom. You can see they're both female and shaped differently...

Last edited by All_Euro; 07-16-2017, 06:20 PM.
                      Work - houzz / linkedin
                      Play - haldex swap

Comment

Could've just depinned them...

Pat

His
                        1989 Porsche Carrera 4 // 5 Speed // Guards Red

Hers
                        1987 VW Cabriolet // 20VT // O2J // Recaros // Porsche Slate Grey // Ronal Turbos // FK Coilovers

2005 Porsche Cayenne S

Theirs
                        1977 VW Type 2 Westfalia

Gone
                        2004 Audi A4 1.8T // quattro // 6 Speed // Brilliant Red
                        Fully built 1.8T || AEB || Motoza tuned || ID1000 || S4 MAF || GT3076R

Comment

I've been meaning to make or buy a tool to do that... not sure the driver's side is long enough but passenger is. Next time I guess
                          Work - houzz / linkedin
                          Play - haldex swap

Comment

Theres a few of us that have sets if you ever need them in the future, myself included. Come in quite handy

Pat

His
                            1989 Porsche Carrera 4 // 5 Speed // Guards Red

Hers
                            1987 VW Cabriolet // 20VT // O2J // Recaros // Porsche Slate Grey // Ronal Turbos // FK Coilovers

2005 Porsche Cayenne S

Theirs
                            1977 VW Type 2 Westfalia

Gone
                            2004 Audi A4 1.8T // quattro // 6 Speed // Brilliant Red
                            Fully built 1.8T || AEB || Motoza tuned || ID1000 || S4 MAF || GT3076R

Comment

Cool, thanks. I've definitely broke a tab or two off the connector housings during removal - wouldn't mind putting fresh ones on one of these days... on the list it goes.
                              Work - houzz / linkedin
                              Play - haldex swap

Comment

I've been really busy with work so I haven't been doing much with the car except driving around... nothing's exploded yet though so that's pretty sweet. I did fab up a temporary exhaust a while back - it's pretty loud but still better than before...

Did something glorious today . Hooked up my e.brake - haven't had on in about a year...

Last edited by All_Euro; 07-16-2017, 06:25 PM.
                                Work - houzz / linkedin
                                Play - haldex swap

Comment

Working...
                                X