No announcement yet.

Floor Pan Swap - haldex to come...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Floor Pan Swap - haldex to come...

if you still have the gli rear brakes in may ill probably buy it
    Current Fleet
    #ProjectICreate Jetta GLI32
    2001 Cobra #88/3786
    1989 Jetta Trophy 1 of 500
    2004 Audi A2 FSI Colour Storm RHD
    2015 B8.5 S4 Sepang/Technik/6MT/SD/AAD/CF

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

Originally posted by All_Euro View Post
      DAY EIGHTY SIX

Check this out...

Ages ago I sold the TT brakes to a local, who bought them for a project car, so I thought see if (for some crazy reason) he would trade for my GLI brakes which are the same spec but are made to fit MK4 Jettas and Golfs. He's finally just gotten around to installing the TT brakes and was just about to source a spacer for them as they're short where mine are long - trading brakes Wednesday
      Originally posted by kujiwara View Post
      I'm leaning towards he doesnt have them.

Can't wait to see this out and driving.
      Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
      2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

DAY NINETY

Thankfully I had a good amount of brake lines/fittings from the TT left over - used them to make lines from the calliper forward to the flexible connection in front of the wheels...

Tomorrow I plan to install the TT callipers up front and then try and find some e-brake brackets so I can hook the cables up to the callipers... not sure where I put mine.

Also need to solder the wires by the back seat that I ran the wire wheel through, fab up a temp exhaust, bleed the brakes, torque everything up, maybe throw the front seats back in...
        Last edited by All_Euro; 07-15-2017, 06:12 PM.
        Work - houzz / linkedin
        Play - haldex swap

Comment

I traded the full set of GLI brakes as they're going on a MK4 and I'll essentially have a TT 225 drivetrain once the transmission is in, so those brakes are a better fit - I will start a parts thread when I have time though.

Originally posted by BaggedGLI View Post
          I'm leaning towards he doesnt have them.

Can't wait to see this out and driving.
          Thanks - that makes two of us! I'm almost back on the road, I think, and then have a few things to sort out before swapping the transmission over and hooking up the Haldex system.
          Work - houzz / linkedin
          Play - haldex swap

Comment

DAY NINETY ONE

Nice little reminder this morning that it is still winter...

After the front brakes and wheels were sorted I put the crash-bar on and noticed the drivers side wasn't perfectly flat but a washer under the top bolt fixed that...

Finally got to instal my Bilstein's out back, installed the sway bar, ran the e-brake cables into the cab, installed a missing piece of heat-sheild in front of the gas tank, added some fuel to the tank, charged the battery put the Nokians on and some other odds n ends...

Still need to bleed the brakes, fix some wiring and decide what to do with the exhaust... maybe just run the resonator from my place to a muffler shop... not sure how loud that would be.
            Last edited by All_Euro; 07-15-2017, 06:25 PM.
            Work - houzz / linkedin
            Play - haldex swap

Comment

Damn! Amazing work! Drive to the muffler shop and post us some launch videos!
              Current Fleet
              #ProjectICreate Jetta GLI32
              2001 Cobra #88/3786
              1989 Jetta Trophy 1 of 500
              2004 Audi A2 FSI Colour Storm RHD
              2015 B8.5 S4 Sepang/Technik/6MT/SD/AAD/CF

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

Haha, thanks but I'm going to get an alignment first and then take it easy for a while - want to make sure everything's solid.
                Work - houzz / linkedin
                Play - haldex swap

Comment

Nice work so far bro, things are coming together swiftly.

Gonna be FWD for a while yet, still needs a driveshaft
                  Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

Candy White 2010 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI 6 speed /// #farmenwagen
                  Indigo Pearl Effect 1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
                  Brilliant Black 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

Comment

DAY NINETY TWO

Was able to work on the car for a bit today and took care of some more odds n ends - used the rental to boost my wilted battery. And, I now have a seat in the car...

[IMG][/IMG]

Decided just to run the resonator, until I sort something else out, so she sounds like a tractor at idle - glorious nonetheless. Put weight on the back end so I could tighten up the sway bar and went for a burn around my neighbourhood - carefully though as I have no real brakes yet.

Felt great but this car is viciously LOUD atm... pops n snarlz n the whole bit. Check the "muffler", it's pointing down and towards the drivers side...

So that was Nov. 1st to Feb. 1st... loosing about a month mostly due to weather. So that's about two months of work time - a couple hours a night during the week and then 4-5 during the weekend days. Working outside meant setting up and cleaning up every day so that took a chunk of time too - so not too bad all things considered. Kind of funny though, I commented earlier in the thread that I didn't care how long it took as long as it wasn't two months or something

Still need to get an alignment, install an exhaust, etc but I'll just do that along the way and post up.
                    Last edited by All_Euro; 07-15-2017, 06:26 PM.
                    Work - houzz / linkedin
                    Play - haldex swap

Comment

Originally posted by PRY4SNO View Post
                      Nice work so far bro, things are coming together swiftly.

/snip... Gonna be FWD for a while yet, still needs a driveshaft
                      Thanks, it's finally drivable! I'm going to see about getting spacers made for the TT driveshaft but if it's too expensive I'll just source an R32 driveshaft. Still need to sort the clutch and do some porting work on the K04 and exhaust mani too.

Pro tip - Kid says he wants a low car but can't afford air or good coils... jack it up on stands for three months and when you drop it down to the tarmac it'll seem subterranean.
                      Work - houzz / linkedin
                      Play - haldex swap

Comment

Awesome build. Have been keeping a close eye on it! You have the only red GLI i have seen in calgary i think and now its AWD. Two big thumbs up from this guy!

This in my TDI would make me smile for months.
                        2004 Jetta TDI Sport-Daily
                        2002 Jetta 1.8T(stg2)-Wifey
                        1983 RabbitLS- Dirty Diesel

Comment

Thanks! There may be one other... not sure though. I bought this one from an Audi dealership in Georgia - didn't want a red car but this one only had 40K miles on it and kind of lured me in.

AWD soon I hope - still need to swap transmissions and hook up the drive shaft. No reason your TDI can't join the party
                          Work - houzz / linkedin
                          Play - haldex swap

Comment

Did you get the drive shaft support mounts off the TT?

Lengthening shouldn't be too costly, any ideas on who you were going to talk to about getting it done?
                            Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
                            2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

Just the two mounts that are attached near the midpoint - I think that's all that's needed as each end is bolted to something.

I'm not sure who I'll ask yet, but I'd prefer to use spacers at the transmission/driveshaft connection which will keep weight back a little... any suggestions on where to get spacers made? Once the TT transmission is in I'll bolt up the back of the driveshaft and measure the gap.
                              Work - houzz / linkedin
                              Play - haldex swap

Comment

Originally posted by All_Euro View Post
                                Just the two mounts that are attached near the midpoint - I think that's all that's needed as each end is bolted to something.

I'm not sure who I'll ask yet, but I'd prefer to use spacers at the transmission/driveshaft connection which will keep weight back a little... any suggestions on where to get spacers made? Once the TT transmission is in I'll bolt up the back of the driveshaft and measure the gap.
                                Yup those were the mounts I was talking about.

Just FYI, I compared my TT driveshaft to an R32 driveshaft. The TT and R front section are identical, it's the rear section that is longer. From what I've seen from researching, getting it extended is only $75-125ish dollars, I have some shops I am going to be calling. I'll let you know what they say.

If you put the spacer at the front, you'd be pooched if you ever got an r32 driveshaft cause the center mount would be in the wrong place.
                                Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
                                2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

Working...
                                X