No announcement yet.

Floor Pan Swap - haldex to come...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Floor Pan Swap - haldex to come...

Hopefully you can get it out before the snow is gone.

Comment

That would be a bonus for sure - the pan swap is the main thing I'm interested in right now since it's the hardest part. Looking forward to just having independent rear suspension actually... although once I've got a few miles on the clock I'm sure the haldex side of things will be top of the list.
      Work - houzz / linkedin
      Play - haldex swap

Comment

DAYS EIGHTY ONE - EIGHTY FOUR

Pulled the back end off today as it was easier to work on this way - the passenger side inner cv joint came apart during the TT disassembly so I got that back together and both sides greased and reattached to the diff. The brakes went on the other day but the inside of the carrier is hitting the disc for some reason so I'll have to look into that...

Drained the diff fluid and will pour in new stuff once I get some. The oil on the top of the drain plug was kind of sludgy so I'm glad I drained it. I don't have a haldex filter wrench yet but was able to get the old filter out and the new one snugged into place. Apparently you're supposed to add the new haldex fluid up the drain plug - you can see it draining in the picture. I just added it through the top plug where the allen key is...

Last edited by All_Euro; 07-15-2017, 05:39 PM.
        Work - houzz / linkedin
        Play - haldex swap

Comment

DAY EIGHTY FIVE

Not a productive day... it seems the TT brake callipers and carriers are a touch different than the GLI's. The calliper is sitting a few mm's to close to the rotor and making contact. I don't have part #'s for the carriers but the callipers are GLI: 1J0615423E -vs- TT: 8N0615423C...

I had the TT brakes but I sold them... so if I can't find a replacement set to buy/trade I'll just grind down the carrier a bit so that the rotor is centred where it's supposed to be. I'm planning on shaving the two bolt locations rather than the rotor opening as the latter would reduce the amount of brake pad travel.

Sorry, no pics of the brakes not working
          Work - houzz / linkedin
          Play - haldex swap

Comment

DAY EIGHTY SIX

I had ordered a Haldex insert from Poland last week, and it arrived today, so I installed it while the diff is on the ground. Once the trans/driveshaft are in I'll hook up the Haldex pre-charge pump to turn on with my car and it fully engages the clutch-packs; giving me full time 50/50 power split. Might go HPA or UM down the road but this will do for now...

Thought I'd make my own Haldex filter wrench instead of buying one for $60+ -vs- $13...

Check this out...

Ages ago I sold the TT brakes to a local, who bought them for a project car, so I thought see if (for some crazy reason) he would trade for my GLI brakes which are the same spec but are made to fit MK4 Jettas and Golfs. He's finally just gotten around to installing the TT brakes and was just about to source a spacer for them as they're short where mine are long - trading brakes Wednesday
            Last edited by All_Euro; 07-15-2017, 05:44 PM.
            Work - houzz / linkedin
            Play - haldex swap

Comment

I've been looking at ordering the insert from a few different places, where did you end up picking yours up from? good quality?

Awesome progress so far on the car!
              TJ
              '17 Ram 3500 Laramie
              '01 Silver S4

Comment

Originally posted by All_Euro View Post
                Ages ago I sold the TT brakes to a local, who bought them for a project car, so I thought see if (for some crazy reason) he would trade for my GLI brakes which are the same spec but are made to fit MK4 Jettas and Golfs. He's finally just gotten around to installing the TT brakes and was just about to source a spacer for them as they're short where mine are long - trading brakes Wednesday
                Awesome!
                Cam

2004 VW R32 Turbo

Comment

love the tool!
                  Now offering detailing services!! http://www.gtrauto.ca/detailing-services.html

United Motorsport, Kerma TDI, KW, APR, COBB, Magnaflow, K&N, AFE, Motul, Lubromoly, Sonax, Air Lift, HPA, Ohlins, Klutch Wheels, Remus Exhaust

info@gtrauto.ca / www.gtrauto.ca / GTR Auto Facebook

Comment

If you run the pump like that it's horrible to drive around town. My Gti is on a switch and it's the only way to go. I'll hop like crazy when you're making corners with the 50/50
                    EURODYNE
                    01 Gti awd 2L 20V HTA3582 11.4@124 best mph 128.25
                    04 R32T 6266
                    Tow machine 2011 F350 DRW 6.7

Comment

I did the same for the wrench, it needs the offset or the 3/4" space between the handle and the socket.

Comment

Originally posted by funkin View Post
                        I've been looking at ordering the insert from a few different places, where did you end up picking yours up from? good quality?

Awesome progress so far on the car!
                        Can't say for sure - it fit nice but we'll see once it's hooked up. I got it from haldexpart - Polish company selling haldex parts on ebay. His price with shipping was better than the Canadian company who sells this same insert. Hopefully it holds until I get a performance controller.

Cheers!

Originally posted by cam_wmh View Post
                        Awesome!
                        Thank you sir.

Originally posted by Natty54 View Post
                        love the tool!
                        Thanks - it's el'cheapo socket meets junky timing belt tensioning tool. Thankfully that handle was good for something!
                        Work - houzz / linkedin
                        Play - haldex swap

Comment

Originally posted by Disturbo View Post
                          If you run the pump like that it's horrible to drive around town. My Gti is on a switch and it's the only way to go. I'll hop like crazy when you're making corners with the 50/50
                          I've heard that full 50/50 tends to bind on low-speed tight radius turns, even with the old HPA competition controller. The new HPA/UM controllers are supposed to have that fixed thankfully. From previous research, it sounds like this binding problem can be overcome by adding a friction modifier to the Haldex fluid. The guy quoted below uses Amsoil for both the Haldex fluid and the modifier, although I'm sure there are a number of good products out there for this application...

"A good starting point (what I use each fluid change) is 220ml of the Power Shift and 50ml of the Slip Lock. I then test out by getting up to operating temperature and doing tight circles in a parking lot. If I continue to hear binding, I add an ounce at a time of Slip Lock until it's gone.

To repeat, I've been doing this for 5-6 years, and my winter performance is great."

Originally posted by RobG View Post
                          I did the same for the wrench, it needs the offset or the 3/4" space between the handle and the socket...
                          Nice one - looks like your socket cut is more evener than mine
                          Work - houzz / linkedin
                          Play - haldex swap

Comment

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...AWD-Programmer
                            Current Fleet
                            #ProjectICreate Jetta GLI32
                            2001 Cobra #88/3786
                            1989 Jetta Trophy 1 of 500
                            2004 Audi A2 FSI Colour Storm RHD
                            2015 B8.5 S4 Sepang/Technik/6MT/SD/AAD/CF

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

UM: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...aldex-software

CRC: http://translate.google.ca/translate...ari%26rls%3Den

INSERT: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPORT-Insert...46279985&rt=nc

I'll see how the insert does for now...

Got my old TT brakes back today - should be able to get install them tomorrow
                              Work - houzz / linkedin
                              Play - haldex swap

Comment

DAYS EIGHTY SEVEN - EIGHTY NINE

While I was sorting out the brakes, and the weather was warm, I sealed most of the seams inside the trunk area. It's not pretty but should keep the panels is good condition - this will be cleaned up and painted down the road too...

I was able to install my old TT brakes tonight - fit like a glove. I had been looking online to see how much fluid the rear diff takes and 1.0-1.5 L was coming up in threads while ECS sells 2 quarts with their kit. Since the diff was on the ground I jacked it up and levelled it, made sure it was fully drained and then filled it back up - 1.0 L exactly.

Rear end is back in place and awaiting brake pads, brake lines and suspension...

Last edited by All_Euro; 07-15-2017, 06:00 PM.
                                Work - houzz / linkedin
                                Play - haldex swap

Comment

Working...
                                X