VW in trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: VW in trouble

Volkswagen has started buying diesel vehicles affected by the Dieselgate and is facing another major issue following the biggest scandal in the automotive industry. After a $1.2 billion settlement, upset owners of TDIs are handing their cars to the company with… let’s say, a little surprise.

The buyback terms specified in the EPA’s Consent Decree say there’s only one requirement related to the vehicle condition – the machine should be “operable,” which means “that a vehicle so described can be driven under its own 2.0-liter TDI engine power.” A vehicle is not operable “if it had a branded title of ‘Assembled,’ ‘Dismantled,’ ‘Flood,’ ‘Junk,’ ‘Rebuilt, ‘Reconstructed,’ or ‘Salvaged’ as of September 18, 2015, and was acquired by any person or entity from a junkyard or salvaged after September 18, 2015.”

Basically, operable could mean anything, including a totally stripped vehicle running on its own power. Several discussions on Reddit and Volkswagen forums have already confirmed it’s totally fine to remove parts from your diesel VW before getting it to the dealers – and this won’t affect the final payment.

A member of the TDI Club Forum went even further. “Carpet, airbags, battery if yours is better/newer, drain the oil and replace it with even more used oil, drain the coolant and replace it with water from the storm drain, empty the fuel tank, DEF tank, take off the glove box door, the inner door panels, I guess you could pull the steering wheel and just clamp a vise grip on the stem to drive it to the dealer, pull the air filter, oil filter, drain most of the brake fluid, power steering fluid, windshield washer fluid, spare tire, jack, first aid kit, maybe even the trunk deck could come off and meet the rules, who know can you drive legally without doors?”

Most of the customers seem to be happy with the buyback offer they receive from Volkswagen, and only remove some aftermarket accessories they’ve installed before. But others are literally stripping off their cars, like Reddit user Tacoboutnachos, who has completely disassembled the front end of his Golf TDI.
    Blair
    Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

This is honestly pathetic IMHO.

To get the amount of money your car is worth back in Sept 2015, your car should have the same body parts and interior installed at that time. Aftermarket parts, sure take them off and replace them with stock parts since your compensation package is on the original vehicle, but if you take a fucking fender and headlights off, you should NOT be compensated the same amount. What are you trying to prove?

Comment

They are just going to get crushed, so what difference does it make.

Comment

I know the cars are going to be scrapped, but still that's super greasy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If it were my company, I'd not be scrapping these. The engines are *not good* but everything else is fine, what I'd do is sell them at auction as not-repairable or export them to Mexico where they don't have the same issue with diesels as we do here.

I doubt they will all be being scrapped, doesn't make financial sense, perhaps the really beat up one but I'm sure the people at VW are looking into recouping part of the money from these somehow.
            Last edited by witchcraftz; 12-15-2016, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Red90 View Post
              They are just going to get crushed, so what difference does it make.
              Not necessarily. They might be able to resell the cars in other countries where emissions regulations aren't as strict.
              Scott
              '23 Audi Q5 Technik | Ultra Blue Metallic | Black​
              '01 DC5 Honda Integra Type R | Championship White | Red

Comment

Just going to leave this here... http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/volk...nada-1.3903045
                Name: Brent
                His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
                Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
                Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

what about the 3.0 TDI?? i want to know what is going on with my Q7 :/

Comment

That article left me confused. Maybe because I haven't been following it that close in the US but this didn't make sense to me...

Under the deal, owners will be able to sell their vehicles back to the company, trade them in for new vehicles or get them repaired. Affected Canadian owners will also get between $5,100 and $8,000 in compensation, depending on the make and model of their vehicle.
                    So does that mean if I do nothing (just keep it) they give me money? (I assume the low end as mines an 09) but I have to let them "fix" it, or I can trade or sell it back? and what is the buyback price?

See I'm tempted just to keep it and take the money, unless the trade it value is really good as I could use a new wagon.
                    Last edited by Tuna; 12-19-2016, 08:35 PM.
                    Jay

Comment

Nevermind, found this right off of VW's website. Makes way more sense than that article...

https://www.vwcanadasettlement.ca/en/
                      Jay

Comment

do they give 2 fucks about Audi and Porsche owners?

Comment

Originally posted by R_Ethug View Post
                          Easy there Ewarrior, there are more owners with Golf/Jetta so they are likely recieving more pressure to resolve those ones first.
                          Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
                          2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

Thanks for the link, I'll when the gf gets home I'll check the VIN to see what she's eligible to receive on her 2010 Golf wagon.
                            Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

Candy White 2010 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI 6 speed /// #farmenwagen
                            Indigo Pearl Effect 1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
                            Brilliant Black 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

Comment

Originally posted by R_Ethug View Post
                              They know that whatever their plan there will be lots of snorting and loud exhaling from those owners so they are probably procrastinating
                              Jay

Comment

actually i saw a thing last night the 3.0 deal was passed in the USA for tregs, audi and porsche's.. same thing basically as the 2.0 from what i read.. so canada should be similiar

me thinks i'll be getting a 2018 mk2 q7 gas :( in the spring

Comment

Working...
                                X